V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leather or vinyl????

I have been noticing my Mustang Ultra touring seat is getting extremely hot %[email protected] during rides in 70 degree weather (Yes spring is just about here in East Tennessee) and if I am getting hot in the seat right now....I don't even want to think about how bad it would be in 90 degrees with 80% humdity...

Does leather do the same thing or does it "breathe" and make the ride cooler? :chopper:

Or is this hot seat have to do with my crossover pipe :duh?: on my stock set up? Would going to true duals make a difference in the heat under my a$$????

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
While leather is cooler because it breathes, and I had butt-sweat issues w/ the Mustang on my FXDWG, it's the crossover.
I did EVERYTHING else you'll see recommended, and not until I got rid of the crossover on my Ultra did I get any relief.

I went w/ duals. Some folks say the 2:1 works, too.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Why would you put fake leather (vinyl) on a harley? Leather breathes and vinyl doesn't. I bought a pair of vinyl shoes once... man did they stink.

Never heard of the crossover issue.

·
Banned
871 Posts
8-Ball said:
Why would you put fake leather (vinyl) on a harley? Leather breathes and vinyl doesn't. I bought a pair of vinyl shoes once... man did they stink.

Never heard of the crossover issue.
No kidding.... Harley is already putting too much plastic-like garbage on the new bikes. Why make it worse with vinyl? :hmmm: It won't be long before they are indistinguishable from the *** crap.

To answer your question.... yes, leather breathes and vinyl doesn't. It could also be attributed to the crossover pipe. I've heard that there are some shields made to help reduce the heat in the seat. Just do a google search and you can probably find one.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
joeschmoe said:
Leather or vinyl????

I have been noticing my Mustang Ultra touring seat is getting extremely hot %[email protected] during rides in 70 degree weather (Yes spring is just about here in East Tennessee) and if I am getting hot in the seat right now....I don't even want to think about how bad it would be in 90 degrees with 80% humdity...

Does leather do the same thing or does it "breathe" and make the ride cooler? :chopper:

Or is this hot seat have to do with my crossover pipe :duh?: on my stock set up? Would going to true duals make a difference in the heat under my a$$????
One way to reduce the heat would be with either www.fullsac.com true dual set-up with the ceramic coating on the pipes or you could go with www.hackerpipes.com true duals that are available with the ceramic coating on the complete header pipes and then get their chrome heat shields.

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
joeschmoe said:
Leather or vinyl????

Does a HOT biker babe wear leather or vinyl?

HOT biker babes are COOL! Question answered. :cheers:

·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wkohn said:
One way to reduce the heat would be with either www.fullsac.com true dual set-up with the ceramic coating on the pipes or you could go with www.hackerlabs1.com true duals that are available with the ceramic coating on the complete header pipes and then get their chrome heat shields.
I checked out the fullsac web site....Those look real easy to install and would definitely reduce the heat for both under the seat as well as the right leg....

Are they difficult to install, I know th epictures make it look easy but anyone got any experience doing the removal and install????

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
joeschmoe said:
I checked out the fullsac web site....Those look real easy to install and would definitely reduce the heat for both under the seat as well as the right leg....

Are they difficult to install, I know th epictures make it look easy but anyone got any experience doing the removal and install????
I don't have them but there are plenty of people on here that do. Looks like the hardest part would be getting the sleeve into the pipe. They do have installation pictures on their web site.

I myself would do the Hackers cause it is a simple bolt off bolt on. Plus you can get new heat shields so it doesn't look like a hack job.

·
Banned
871 Posts
The only problem I see with using a true dual system is... by losing the crossover, the engine won't run as well. All good performance exhaust systems have some sort of crossover to enable smoother gas flow out if the heads. If you don't mind sacrificing a little bit of torque, then it sounds like it might solve the heat problem. You'd get a lot better performance using a 2-1 exhaust with a false left pipe.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
I sacrificed HP w/ my Dresser Duals and Samson Rolled Thunders and I've got over 80 ft/lb at 1900 RPM.
Next?

·
repeat offender
691 Posts
joeschmoe said:

I installed the Fullsac setup last friday night on my street glide. It took about 2 hours (my dog helped) and it was not hard at all. There was one thing they didn't mention in the instructions though, and I could find no way to do it otherwise. The problem was with removing the old H pipe crossover. On my bike there is a bracket coming up from the starter and there was no way to get the H pipe to move back far enough to get it out of the cylinder head without removing the starter bolts and tilting the bracket over to the right, then I got the crossover out pretty easy.

The mandrel sleeve that is included in the kit is really a great idea, it allows you to reform the slip connection on the left exhaust pipe so the new headpipe fits perfect and gives a good seal. It was easy to tap in and I tapped on the slip connection with a small ball peen hammer and got it perfectly round.

I also installed the recored mufflers and I am VERY happy with the sound and the INCREASED performance.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Flyin Brian said:
I installed the Fullsac setup last friday night on my street glide. It took about 2 hours (my dog helped) and it was not hard at all. There was one thing they didn't mention in the instructions though, and I could find no way to do it otherwise. The problem was with removing the old H pipe crossover. On my bike there is a bracket coming up from the starter and there was no way to get the H pipe to move back far enough to get it out of the cylinder head without removing the starter bolts and tilting the bracket over to the right, then I got the crossover out pretty easy.

The mandrel sleeve that is included in the kit is really a great idea, it allows you to reform the slip connection on the left exhaust pipe so the new headpipe fits perfect and gives a good seal. It was easy to tap in and I tapped on the slip connection with a small ball peen hammer and got it perfectly round.

I also installed the recored mufflers and I am VERY happy with the sound and the INCREASED performance.
Knew someone had done it.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
I had my crossover cut out, welded plugged and reinstalled with the original heat shield. And leather is the only way to go.

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
sheep skin

I put a piece of sheep skin on the seat in the summer. Helps a lot.

·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From what everybody has said....I am going to add a piece of Dynamat sound dampening material to the underside of my seat....
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-aHS0o9T9DXK/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=890&I=15410415&search=dynamat
It is rated for temperatures upto 300 degrees:flames: That means I can :chopper: for a long time before the :flames: get to my a$$ and start burning.....

Anyway I will look into the Fullsacs and the sheepskin as a solution if this doesn't work....:cheers:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news guys but corbin or just about anyone else uses "leather seating panels" The part that actually touches your ass is leather everything else is vinyl like the side panels. You can even look in corbin's FAQ. I don't know if there were any Shovels straight from the factory with leather seats. I have no doubt leather breathes better.

BTW dynamat can get kind of soft and gooey when it gets really hot and may not work out too well for you.

·
Banned
871 Posts
MegaGlide said:
I sacrificed HP w/ my Dresser Duals and Samson Rolled Thunders and I've got over 80 ft/lb at 1900 RPM.
Next?
That's still adequate torque, considering.... :)

Of course, just about any aftermarket system will outperform a stock exhaust.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts