V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to conduct a little survey, and see what slip-ons, or exhaust systems are subject to popping on deceleration.

I have an '02 FLHTC-I, with a stage-1 (and a PCIIIr) and have tuned the PC as best as I can per PC tech advice to reduce the popping on decel. It still does it more than I'd like.

I am running Khrome Werks HP Plus 100 slip ons. I like the exhaust tone and level, but I am tiring of the popping on decel.

I understand mufflers without baffles are subject to this, as is an exhaust leak (you can see straight through the these muffs). I am considering trying another set of slip-ons.

Anybody out there running V&H slip-ons on an injected bike? If so, do they pop on decel?

What has been your experience?

Thanks in advance...

Mitch

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Samson Rolled Thunder, Big Bore, Stage 2, with PC and dyno'd. Popping is too much for me as well. Been told little can be done except going with a 2 into 1 pro pipe which I do not like the looks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm running the SE pipes and do get some popping as well. (It was much worse before I did the the Stage 1 upgrade to the intake side.)
Consider it Harley's version of an audible brake light. Might wake up some of those clowns following too close behind.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fxstser - I think I did the same, but...

Per PC tech advice, I made the settings -40 at 0.0% throttle position, 1,500 RPM's and above. They said that is the leanest the PC will go, and is the standard move to make. It helped some, but as I have read on this board before, I guess unless the mufflers have baffles in them, it is likely to pop.

Anybody out there have V&H slip-ons? Do they pop on decel?

Also, why do only FI bikes have this problem? Do carburetors run ultra lean on decel, or what?

Thanks in advance...

Mitch

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a 02 carburator FLHT with V&H slip-ons and dynajet kit with SE intake. It will make a (not sure how to explain)poping sound but only if I run up to about 3000 rpm and back off the throtttle it's not like a sputter or poping, it kinda sounds like some type of steady back (or lack of )pressure sound. <shrug>
It don't make it down shifting I'm not really sure if were talking about the same noise.
If you were here I could give you a good sound effect...LOL :D

·
Just bad
698 Posts
I have the V&H slip-ons on a 01 flhrci and it pops a little on a long, closed throttle decel like a downhill freeway off-ramp. In normal traffic or highway riding it's either minimal or I'm not hearing it anymore :D Tuning 0% throttle full lean is a good idea but I would be afraid of causing a tip-in hesitation such as when creeping along in slow traffic.

I bought my bike used so I have no idea if there's been any mods to the EFI controller. Since it runs really well, I haven't been motivated to find out and sure as he11 ain't taking it to the home of the $459 10k service *coff*coff*ripoff**coff :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
'01 Ultra with SE air cleaner, PCII and White Bros E-Series slip-ons. I've tweaked the PC map as everyone mentioned but I still get a popping on decel at "0" throttle position. Not sure why everyone is bothered by this. I think it's just the nature of the beast when you have a free flowing crossover exhaust on the bike. As the other guy said, just look at it as an audible deceleration warning.
Ken:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hippo, I'm running 13 right, 3 left already.
BTW, I wanted to talk to you regarding some HiPo work on my bike for this winter. As I wanted to talk specific brands like HeadQuarters, AMS and SBC I didn't know if you would lik to take if off the board. You don't allow PM's on this or the FFB site. How can I get in touch with you.
Ken

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hippo -

Would changing over to the 2:1 E-Series provide much ADDITIONAL performance over just adding 2 WB E-Series slip-ons?

'02 FLHTC-I (Stage 1)

THANKS!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I wouldn't say much, but I would say some, but it will be more on some bikes then others depending how much protrusion there is in the Y pipe.

Chucking the OEM headpipes also helps the rear cylinder run cooler and saves quite some weight, so even if it didn't it still would be worth it.

The only justification for running the stock headpipes is if the cosmetics are important to you.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I too tried to PM you, HIPPO. I had a couple questions. I have a 2002 RK which is carb.ed. I want to go with a StageI conversion. I like the Sampson's rolled thunder slipons, Hooker, and Bassani. Would it be better to get a muffler which has baffles, so you can adjust the sound by changing the baffle sizes? Going with an AC, do you have to consider it ability to breath, the exhausts ability to putout, and the rejetting? How does all this come together as in fine tunning the overall conversion? Is it that much of a science or just any combination works?
I wanted to rejet the carb myself, but reading what you stated about dynajet kits and the thunderslide kit and how the information on nightrider is outdated, I've considered having the dealer do the conversion before I pickup the bike. I thought about breaking in the bike before going with the StageI, but really hate the thought of riding with the stock sounding exhaust system. Thanks for any help you can offer. I know you are the subject matter expert. J.T.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts