V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade my cam this winter to get a little more pull.. any recomendations??? what else do I need to change when doing this?
Thanks Bradleaf

·
Registered
371 Posts
ive got a 98 flhr. i used an andrews ev23 cam in it. i would and have highly recommended it to many people. have lots of guys locally that have put it in and love it. lots of people at the time were putting in the ev27 which is a little hotter cam. but for the big bike, i like the 23. my bottom end power is great, midrange awesome, and it just keeps pulling. i always ride with bags full. i'm 300 plus and my girl is with me 98 percent of the time. my fuel economy also increased with the ev23 cam. you will be real pleased with it. lots of torque and sounds great too.

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
Bradleaf said:
I'm looking to upgrade my cam this winter to get a little more pull.. any recomendations??? what else do I need to change when doing this?
Thanks Bradleaf
Hi Brad.

If you are talking about a 1998 FLHTCUI, wouldn't that be a Twin cam engine?

Assuming a stock 88, I would suggest a Anders 26 with the .030 head gaskets to bump the compression.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Can you give us a little more info? Have you done anything to the bike, such as exhuast, air cleaner, is it EFI or carb, etc. How much do you ride and how do you ride, 2 up or solo, loaded or unloaded mostly, do yopu pull a trailer with it, do you ride where the land is mainly flat or alot of hills and turns. All of this is important in deciding the right cam for you and keep in mind that the right cam might require futher modifications to the engine to get the most out of the cam.

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
road_king said:
1999 was the first yr for Twin Cam's in Touring bikes:cheers:

OOOOps, my bad.:roflback:

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
If you are going to run with the stock compression, I would second the EV23. Bump the compression and the choice would be the EV27. You should have the inner cam bearing swapped out to the Torrington style "full compliment" to replace the INA that is in there now. You could also replace the lifters at this time (preventitive maintanance), and recommend doing that every 30k. (stock HD lifters are fine)

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I'm runnin the 27 in a '96 Ultra, with 10:1 weisco pistons, D&D Fatcat, and a little head work, and I couldn't be happier with the torque!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Cam Choice

A Bob Wood 6 and a head re-surface/valve job, and the power will be everywhere it wasn't. MUCH better fuel economy, smoother running.
You will not wonder if you did it wrong.
Scott

·
Registered
120 Posts
Stage 1

My brother has a 98EG Classic,injected. The dealer put in the stage 1 cam,injectors, & Vance & Hines Touring mufflers on it before delivery. Runs good, but my 93 with Crane 326H, and .050 off of the heads will shellac it. I have plenty of bottom end & the thing pulls like a freight train. Don

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Fun

93FLHS said:
My brother has a 98EG Classic,injected. The dealer put in the stage 1 cam,injectors, & Vance & Hines Touring mufflers on it before delivery. Runs good, but my 93 with Crane 326H, and .050 off of the heads will shellac it. I have plenty of bottom end & the thing pulls like a freight train. Don
Sounds like that bike runs good, but a Bob Wood 6(for a bolt in cam) and our Stage I Evo Heads would show quite an improvement over that, as we have tested those combos years ago.
90/90 very common with Bob Wood 8 cam, set up correctly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts