V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got lots of projects planned this winter. Right now removing inner and outer primary. Think I am going to replace the derby and inspection covers with allen head. Was thinking of maybe replacing outer primary. Not sure.

I had a stripped derby bolt last year. Thats whats prompting this. Was my own fault, had not had it off in a while.

What is the difference between polished and unpolished or grade 8 stainless? Do you have to keep cleaning the polished ones? I am mainly looking durability.

If I do primary was just considering allen. Are 12 pnt hex that much better? I assume you can get a better hold on them with a socket.

Also looking at doing 95" and cams. Anything that should be replaced?

Read to replace exhaust studs. Also thinking about the 4 head bolts. I got caps on them now, but would like to get rid of the caps.

Was thinking about alloyboltz? They do have a TC kit for $69
http://www.alloyboltz.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=13_16_18&products_id=124

Thanks for any help.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
I will give my opinion on this.
Chrome: Looks good upon initial installation but is not a service part. Use caused the chrome to crack and then rust forms. Also with chrome hardware, you need to run it through a die to take off any excess plating on the threads before use or they can screw up the threaded hole.
Stainless: Great stuff for holding things together as long as it has no shear stress requirements on the bolts. Never use stainless where shear stress is a factor like with footpegs. Very servicable hardware and polished looks good for a long time. If you use stainless make sure you always use a torque wrench because is will strip threads before it snaps off.
I use allen head hardware and you can get button head for the derby and inspection covers put sombody else will have to put up the source. I have chrome in these locations, with a litle rust.
12 point are great fasteners but too expensive and over kill, in my opinion, for use on all the primary cover screws.
And the alloyboltz looks like a deal to me, but the inspection and derby look to still be #27 torx. Not a big deal to me. You may be able to round up all the bolts cheaper one by one, but a complete kit sure saves a lot of time and you have what you need when you need it.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking 12pnt for primary bit of over kill too. I don't want chrome, cause of the eventual rusting. Got chrome bolts in my handlebar controls and going to replace.

So I am thinking polished stainless.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
I have the full set from alloyboltz, polished, 12 point, yes the point cover are button allen.

Pricey, but Grade 8 and almost all numbers are polished off the bolts, very and I mean very feint and hard to see.

I am looking forward to using them and my new craftsman ratcheting wrenches.

Pulling primary, cam chest, upper rocker box's, and any other bolt that is clear in this process, I have to say I am pretty excited about the look and on those damn push rod blocks they should look sweet.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
LAF said:
I have the full set from alloyboltz, polished, 12 point, yes the point cover are button allen.

Pricey, but Grade 8 and almost all numbers are polished off the bolts, very and I mean very feint and hard to see.

I am looking forward to using them and my new craftsman ratcheting wrenches.

Pulling primary, cam chest, upper rocker box's, and any other bolt that is clear in this process, I have to say I am pretty excited about the look and on those damn push rod blocks they should look sweet.
I have changed out almost all my bikes bolts to alloyboltz grade 8 polished 12 points. Great customer service and they really look greatr!!

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Have the Alloyboltz, full set installed when I did my build last month. They sure look GREAT! Like diamonds all over my black and chrome engine.....

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Question...

When you replace bolts in covers that have gaskets (rocker box, primary, etc) do you drain the fluid, pull all bolts, replace cover w/ new gasket, bolts, and fluid OR just pull bolts one at a time and replace and retorque?

thanks,
thrasher

·
Registered
42 Posts
I second Gomer. DEPSS.com they have a quality product and are great to deal with. There are different grades of stainless some higher than grade 8 and some less.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
thrasher said:
When you replace bolts in covers that have gaskets (rocker box, primary, etc) do you drain the fluid, pull all bolts, replace cover w/ new gasket, bolts, and fluid OR just pull bolts one at a time and replace and retorque?

thanks,
thrasher
It's not a rocket engine. Just pull one at a time and replace.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts