V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. you old hogs, know you've heard this questions before...
Should be getting my 03 RKC in March, but I still think the Heritage Springer is the best looking bike on the road. I have demo'd the RK and love the ride, and the looks ain't bad. Don't know anyone that has springer and no luck with demo or rental in my area. Every Harley owner I talk to says go with the RK, but none of them have ever had a Hertiage Springer.

Will use it for kicking around town daily, 2-300 mile rides on weekends and 1 or 2 treks per year 2-3K miles.

I would appreciate anyone who has owned both to give me your opinion and thoughts. I know it is ultimatley my decision but would like to make that decision based on as much info as I can get.

Matter of fact I appreciate anyones opinion.

Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you plan on only short trips, get the one you like.

I'd only recommend the touring model if you wanted more comfort, and planned on putting on more miles (it will make a difference).

If you can, drive both. There is a difference.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a RK (carb) and a heritage softail. I can ride all day on both. Heritage has mustang seat w/ rider backrest, 19 inch cyclesmith banana floorboards and chubby RK (16 inch pullback) bars. extremely comfortable on a long haul. I don't care what people say about the softail not being a tourer. seat bars and floorboards will make it one. The stock RK damn sure isn't a tourer until you replace the seat and bars. just got the RK a month ago and replaced the seat (mustang) and wait'n on the chubby (rk) bars for it. only Item I think needed is a detachable fairing for cold weather. Donny Kay makes one for the roadking and heritage. mounts right on to the bike like the windshield so you can use either windshield or fairing without changing anything. suspension differences arn't as apparent to me as I way 160 lbs. a heavier rider probably would notice more. both ride great at highway speeds counter balanced and rubbermounted. either or. My unbiased .02 worth.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just went throught the same delima. I agree with you. I really like the looks of the Heritage Springer. And, I think that's what I really wanted to buy. But, I picked my 2002 FLHRCI about 6 weeks ago. Why the Road King Classic? Two reasons:
1. Every dealer I went into (and beleive me I went itno a bunch) really pushed the RKC. They all said the ride was superior.
2. Cost. The Heritage Springer was even more above MSRP than the Road King Classic (about $2000) in this area. The RKC comes with several items standard that would have had to be added to the Springer.
3. I know I said two reasons, but this one is related to number 2. My OL didn't like the idea of me spending HER retirement money. So, less was better.

In the end, I made the logical, reasonable decision.

Am I happy with my choice? It's a Harley! The ride is incredible. Although the stock handlebars leave something to be desired. It's a beautiful bike.

But, I will admit to still looking longingly at a Heritage Springer anytime I happen to see one (which is not that often). I plan to ride one at the Open Road Show in Fort Worth this weekend. I just hope I don't find myself at a dealer in the next few weeks trying to work a trade.

All of this probably didn't help you decide. The best advice is buy what you want.

Good luck deciding. Let us know what you end up with. Either way,

IT'S A HARLEY!

·
Registered
20 Posts
It is a NO brainer, go with the Road King (Carb) version. Very comfortable and handles great and Harleys most popular model-you always have to think about resale. You can do more with the Carb then the Fuel injected versions and at a lower cost. Good Luck...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Markbrad, let me know what you think after the test ride, I'd appreciate it. Heard the extra weight of the springer does make some difference in slow speed handling. And it is about 2K more than the RK around here too.

Might get a biz trip to Hawaii next month, I think there's a place that rents a HS, if so I will defenitely try it out. Thanks to all the responses. Sorry about any spelling errors, get so used to spell check...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I don't like the look of the springer at all, jus my view. Road King handles better (steeper steering rake) . I have put over 12,000 miles on my king since june, only change is handlebars, for me, the dactory seat is quite comfortable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ctharley,
Rode the Heritage Springer yesterday at the Open Road Show. Over-hyped event if you ask me - the Road Show, that is. The bike was an '03 EFI. The demo ride was probably about 10 miles of mostly straight road. Got the bike up to about 70mph a few times, but not for long distances. So, not a big test.

Here are my impressions/comparisons to the RKC:

Suspension on the Heritage Springer is between "softer" and "mushier" than the RKC. Mushier may not really be a word, but I think you know what I mean. There seemed to be more travel when going through dips or over bumps. This was noticable both front and rear.

Several people told me the front end would feel heavier and less responsive on the Heritage Springer. I did not notice this. I did see one guy drop a FHLRI on his test drive trying to make a sharp low speed turn.

The counter balanced engine must really work for smoothing things out. I did not feel any more vibration than I experience on my FLHRCI. Granted it was just a short ride, but it felt smooth to me.

The Heritage Springer sits lower. This changes several things. On the RKC my riding position is very up right. On the Heritage Springer I felt a somewhat more laid back seating position. I think the shape of the saddle affects this also. I can't say that over a short ride either seating position would be more comfortable than the other. Intuitively, the more upright position is probably better for you.

The handlebars seemed more comfortable. But, I didn't realize the RKC bars were uncomfortable until a longer ride. And that improved once I realized the dealer had not set up the bike properly. The handlebars were set up with the bars rolled forward about 4 inches. Pullling them back to the proper position made a big difference. I've gone from unbearable to OK. By the way, just as a point of reference. I'm 6 feet tall with 34 " sleeve length.

Sitting lower also made it seem like the center of gravity was lower. This resulted in the bike having a lighter, more managable feel to me.

While the above differences are noted, I really can't say that I feel any SIGNIFICANT differences in ride or performance between the 2 bikes. Nothing here that after a 10 mile demo would make me decide to pick one over the other. You would really need to rent each one for a day and put some serious miles in.

So, for me, your back to which one do you like for you. And, which one can you afford. As I said in my first post, I feel I made the reasoned/logical choice. The RKC is definitely a better value. The mark-up over MSRP in the DFW area is defintely significantly less (about $2000 less). You get the detachagble windshield, EFI, cruise control standard on the RKC. Windshield and EFI (if you want it) are extra on the Heritage Springer. I don't know if you can add cruise control to the Heritage Springer. Also, some say the RKC will hold it's value better over time because it is a higher demand bike. But, I kind of like the fact that you don't see that many Hertiage Springers.

If you want the best value and an incredible ride, buy the Road King Classic.

If the Heritage Springer is the look with your name on it, no reason I can give you from a ride/performance perspective not to buy it, especially if the bucks are not a problem.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

I would love to hear what you end up with and why. Either way, both come standard with a huge smile that seems to appear every time you press the start button.

Mark

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mark,
Thanks for the get-back. Good eval. My RKC ride was only about 10 miles too, but I was impressed. Will hopefully find a springer rental somewhere before I make my final decision.

Guy that dropped his ride must of been slightly red in the face. :D

Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts