V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 dyna Street bob on order and will be putting a high flow Air filter setup on it. I know this topic has been brought up before but it gets more complicated. I plan on running this bike with new exhaust and highflow filter for a thousand miles or so(just to make sure everything else is right before I void warranty) and then changing out to older style ported heads. What will the differences be? I know the intake flanges will have to be changed from the 06 heads to the older ones but what about the air cleaner or "other issues" will I need to address. I have also considered going to a 50mm throttle body or one of the bored out stock ones I have read about here. I have already purchased a Sert and plan on tuniing it with the WEGOII
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
G'day, For the life of me I can't get a straight answer to this simple Question either..... The RK3909 complete filter kit from K&N reads great. No plumbing like the S/E , breather extensions just like the Ness and with just 3 flat washers fits, (?) the '06 models!! Yet no-one seems to be comenting on this.
Of course it even comes with the K&N filter, so how come they are not being used? Some say that the NEW S/E filters have a Ness style backing plate also, but ALAS no one is answering my posts. If I finally crack and go buy one for my 06 dyna I will let ya know.

Graham. (Australia).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,928 Posts
BVBOB said:
I have an 06 dyna Street bob on order and will be putting a high flow Air filter setup on it. I know this topic has been brought up before but it gets more complicated. I plan on running this bike with new exhaust and highflow filter for a thousand miles or so(just to make sure everything else is right before I void warranty) and then changing out to older style ported heads. What will the differences be? I know the intake flanges will have to be changed from the 06 heads to the older ones but what about the air cleaner or "other issues" will I need to address. I have also considered going to a 50mm throttle body or one of the bored out stock ones I have read about here. I have already purchased a Sert and plan on tuniing it with the WEGOII
save your money on heads, the 06 heads flow more than enough for someone that is tuning with a sert and wego!!^rolleyez^
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,232 Posts
claydbal said:
save your money on heads, the 06 heads flow more than enough for someone that is tuning with a sert and wego!!^rolleyez^
@gree: Based on the consensus here and in other places - don't know why you'd want to change them. If I'm not mistaken, Silver Bullet - and/or John Sachs tested them and found they're actually pretty good. If you decide to go higher performance at some point, then you could have them re-worked to fit your build. Can't imagine why you'd change them for a simple Stage I upgrade and if someone told you that's a good idea - they told you wrong.

As for the a/c - mine's an 03 and my SE backing plate is that vintage. It vented into the heads via little rubber tubes. Someone posted a pic here or somewhere and the new SE backing plate indeed has the vents cast in to it ala Ness. You might head to a dealer and ask to see one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
claydbal said:
save your money on heads, the 06 heads flow more than enough for someone that is tuning with a sert and wego!!^rolleyez^
I guess I should have made my self more clear, I am not just changing heads, I am changing to a package(custom ground cams also) that uses older heads in their cnc porting process. I actually had a set of 06 heads and when we compared them the ports were much bigger and not the correct shape, the exhaust more so than the Intake. just because they are bigger does Not make them better. I still would have to change springs and retainers to run different cams and the 06 heads are still very unproven. I think the Sert and Wego setup makes sense, if anyone has any experience, positive or negative with this system of tuning I would love to hear about it.
I really don't give a rats a** about a Dyno sheet. I just want a good running bike without running to dyno and being at their mercy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,928 Posts
BVBOB said:
I guess I should have made my self more clear, I am not just changing heads, I am changing to a package(custom ground cams also) that uses older heads in their cnc porting process. I actually had a set of 06 heads and when we compared them the ports were much bigger and not the correct shape, the exhaust more so than the Intake. just because they are bigger does Not make them better. I still would have to change springs and retainers to run different cams and the 06 heads are still very unproven. I think the Sert and Wego setup makes sense, if anyone has any experience, positive or negative with this system of tuning I would love to hear about it.
I really don't give a rats a** about a Dyno sheet. I just want a good running bike without running to dyno and being at their mercy.
my train of thought was why would you spend all that money and not have your bike dyno tuned.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top