V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided not to go with the Dyna Lowrider only due to the price, $20,000 out the door for the 2003 and this is the only year they had available. Instead, I decided to go with the 2002 1200 Custom Sportster in Red/Diamond Ice - I have already put 200 miles on it! (I have attached a picture)

My husband took me to the next door parking lot and I practiced for about an hour and then off we went for our 50 mile ride home. Now I ride for about an hour every evening when I get home from work. I don't want to ride it to work until I get a little more experience under my belt. My commute is almost 2 hours one way through heavy traffic.

Thanks again for all of your input, I truly appreciate it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Good looking bike! Enjoy the world of commuting on 2 wheels, save on gas! Then you burn what you would have saved because, well, you just wanna ride:D

I highly suggest a riders safety course. I have been riding dirt bikes for years before jumping onto a street bike, and I learned a lot. Plan to take the experienced rider course soon as my schedule frees up a little.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I am scheduled for July 18th to take the safety course. I took it down a gravel road and back up, did pretty well at that. I am looking forward to learning lots and putting some major miles in.

Thanks again

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Sidewalk

I just noticed that you live in Alameda, I travel from Antioch everyday to Alameda in my truck. Do you know of any shortcuts from Antioch? I want to avoid the traffic until I get more experience and ride to work to save gas, $3 is better than $7 a day.

Thanks,

·
Registered
629 Posts
You are pretty limited. I assume you take the:
Correct?

That is probably your best bet, any other way would be very time consuming. With that nice narrow bike, it will not take very long before you feel comfortable cutting traffic when it builds up. My wife started doing it not long after she took the course. You may be best off just waiting until you feel confident enough to make that ride. When you are ready, do it on a weekend when you don't have to worry about rush hour so that you will know what to expect.

Where in Alameda do you work?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are right . . .

I should probably wait until after my safety course. The commute is horrible from Antioch, it could take up to 2 hours one way. My husband suggested that we take a day and ride together to familiarize myself with the course.

I work off of Ballena Blvd. at a video game strategy guide publisher, the commute sucks but it sure is pretty here.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yeah, I am not a fan of this area. I can't complain to much though, my commute is only 5 miles. Then again, I could complain, because it could be 50 miles of twisties to work everyday:D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you . . . it certainly

is not as nice as a fat boy, which is like the ultimate bike!!!! But it will do for my first bike and I am having good fun!

:D

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm a little late here, but hello and welcome the the forum! Great looking new bike, love that color combo, enjoy!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks!!!

Never to late to post, I enjoy checking back often and reading them over again.

Take care,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts