V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't think anyone riding a Honda will log on to "harley davidson forum" Does'nt make much sense. :p

B

·
0 Posts
For their dreams

Think this forum was intended on *** bike riders to come in and take a peek around and converse with their people about why they should buy an American bike. Get questions answered etc.

You see them at all of our rallys and they just share the same passion we do, riding scooters.

They just happen to ride one made in a foreign country.

I know that there are a few of them on this site, guess they are too bashful to post. We might have to kill this forum and make it something else...a strip bar perhaps?

B6

·
Registered
138 Posts
All the Japanese riders are riding scooters where I live. ;)

Actually, I went to a H-D show put on by Nagasaki H-D and there were about 200 Harley riders there. Some really nice bikes, a couple of Pans, some Sportsters, and a bunch of 88's. Not one Japanese bike in the parking lot. The only off brand was a BMW oilhead.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Does seem strange to have a "rice burner" section on a Harley site, but I had to peek. I started out on a Honda in 1963, then Kawasaki, then in Europe on a Triton (Triumph 650 engine mounted in a Norton feather-bed frame). Tried to obtain a 1974 Sportster back then, but my pockets were too thin. Came back to the states and went through a few other bikes and finally ended up with a Suzuki GS750E in 1980. Still got that in the garage and ride it to work when the weather is marginal - consider it my reliable dirty bagger. Finally got my dream Deuce and am loving it! Been a long time coming, but the fun has returned! I feel young again! Now let's get back to the HD section!

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I'm a member of some forums/boards/groups where there are special sections for different types of bikes. I enjoy all types of motorcycles and just happen to have been riding Harleys for the last 10 years. What I've seen on some of the other forums is that metric owners aren't often welcomed into Harley sites. Often, they get flamed pretty bad. That's an unfortunate thing because many times they are just interested in finding out about Harleys. There's a major forum over at Delphi where there's a rule against "bashing" other brands. Lots of metric owners post there and many, many of them eventually come over to the dark side of the force and start inquiring about buying and eventually buy a Harley.

Now, if they just want to come in and stir-up stuff, well, anyone who does that anywhere deserves what they get!

But if someone just wants to come and talk about bikes, kick some tires, have some brews, what's wrong with that?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to this board. I am a HOG member and really enjoy our 95 ultra. Lots of chrome and some engine work to equal a twin-cam with a big bore on the dino. Wife says I'm never selling it. I am also a GWRRA member and enjoy our 96 goldwing SE just as much. The goldwing came standard with more performance than the twin-cam big bore. The harley is great for cruising and short trips. The wing lets you ride 500 to 700 miles a day for several days without much fatigue. My body just can't take that on the ultra. Each bike offers a different experience. Both good. On the GWRRA forum, I've learned that many wing owners also have harleys.
One thing I've noticied is that when I ride the goldwing, about half of the harleys wave back and when I'm on the ultra, they all wave. I'm the same person on both bikes.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
harleyman said:
One thing I've noticied is that when I ride the goldwing, about half of the harleys wave back and when I'm on the ultra, they all wave. I'm the same person on both bikes.
Hey Harleyman, sometimes the reflection off of all the chrome on the harleys is so blinding that I wave thinking it may be a foxy babe ridin it. LOL

I just wave when I feel like it or when i'm waved to. I don't really give much thought to why someone doesn't wave or what it means. It really shouldn't make any difference for the enjoyment of the ride anyway. Everyone has a different personality. Some waves may mean different things to different people. I don't think we should try to analyze a wave or no wave. Just enjoy the ride.

This friend I work with decided that he wanted a motorcycle. He had never riden one so he bought a used yamaha 650 custom to learn on. One day on his way home he was stopped at a signal light at an intersection and two ladies in the turning lane were laughing at him. He looked in the other lane beside him and the man in that car laughed and pointed at him. He didn't know what to think. He thought maybe he had a bug stuck on his face or they were laughing at him on the small bike or something. So he looked at his face in the mirror and saw that a mocking bird had landed on top of his helmit. LOL

Later,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok I'll bite. I ride a *** crusier. I use to own a Sportster but I didn't much care for the vibration above 45mph. Still, it was a nice bike for around town and you couldn't beat the sound!

I saw a beautiful Yamaha Virago 1100 for sale at the local Honda dealer and I traded my Sporty for it on the spot. The Virago has more punch, rides smoother, and is a heck of a lot more dependable that the Sportster ever was. Plus I love the look of the Virago and I like the way it handles.

Please don't get me wrong, I love Hogs, always have and someday maybe I'll trade my Virago in on a RoadKing or Wideglide. In fact, I'm going to be renting a RoadKing this June for a week-long trip in the Rockies. I'm looking forward to getting some seat time on the hog.

Now you're asking yourself why am I posting on a Harley site?? Only because I had some Harley questions and I found this thread by accident.

But you guys are right about this not really being the place to post about *** bikes, but what the heck! Like Harleyman said, we're still the same person no matter what bike we're riding. FWIW I always wave at another biker no matter what he's (or she's) riding. Besides, half the time we're passing each other so quick I can't tell what make bike they're on.

Ride well!

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
113 Posts
I never noticed this thread before but to take it back to the original question posed by Hotrodlowrider, I'll ask, why not have a forum for metric cruisers here..[ They're all foreign bikes to me] You may get some dialogue here and find out that those that decide to ride something other than American Iron..[ A question regarding as to what constitutes American Iron could ,and has come up in the past ,as to whether or not anything post-shovel qualifies as being such..I've heard this lots, more than I care to]..but getting back to the basics, it is all about riding. The fact of the matter is that whether we want to admit it or not there is segmentation and division in the motorcycling community..we/they...us/them etc. I don't have a japanese cruiser, I don't have a Harley cruiser....been there done that ,bought the T Shirt and moved on to an Electra Glide, to go along with the italian and Japanese sportbikes.we're a lot more alike than we are different, maybe this thread will help point that out.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
I have no problem with metric riders being here at all. The only thing that I have against metric catagories is for one, this is Harley DavidsonForum.com. I love it here and can relate very well with everyone here who owns a Harley(rich, poor, young, old, wild, or meek). I enjoy their attitudes, their passion for Harleys, their bike pictures, their help, their stories and their sense of pride in their ride. It's not to say that metric owners do not share some of the same traits, but their are plenty of forums specifically for their brand of motorcycle.
Although there are many members here that own both Harley and metric bikes, they know and understand what it is like to own a Harley and usually don't need to justify or rationalize their purchase. Sorry to say that when the forums are mixed it always tends to lead to comparison debates continually, which in turn leads to tempers flaring and knock down drag out fights. If you notice, this place is a very enjoyable, educational,smooth running board (unless we are invaded by someone who wants to stir things up for selfish reasons.) I would like it to stay that way.

People who have an intense interest in Harley Davidsons (like myself) really don't know or don't care to know about metrics. I couldn't tell you a stock one from a custom one. But I can spot and name in seconds what didn't come stock on most Harleys. I really don't have an interest in looking at metric bike pictures and don't care to hear about them. If I did there are plenty of metric forums for me to go to.

If you have been around the net, then I think you have been to forums that have a Harley/metric mix. There are always fights, arguments, and disagreements about bikes. If you've been to an all metric forum like a few I've visited, the main topic of interest is how much cheaper, better, faster, smoother, and smarter it is to own a metric. JEEEEZUS. Other than this thread, show me posts on this forum that even start comparing Harleys to metrics in an "our's is better than their's" or "we are the same as you" comparison. It gets old. It doesn't happen here because people on this forum who own a Harley have a bike that they are content with owning. They bought what their heart told them instead of just their wallet.

I've owned metrics and I will ride with metric owners. I think metric owners are as good, fun, and decent people as anyone else. But bringing metric bikes into this forum is like someone wanting to enter their cat in a dog show. Although they are both fine animals, they just aren't the right mix. And there are plenty of cat shows to enter. So why would you even want to.

I am pleased when metric owners come to a forum like this for information and interact in a respectful manner. We are more than glad to help with questions. But if you would like some URLs of some mixed forums to visit I can give them to you. They are a mad house. Almost a psyco ward. No, I would hate to see a good thing turn bad here. Visitors truly welcome, but no (more)metric catagories. That's my .02

By the way, we ARE posting in a metric catagory......so what's the beef?

·
Registered
40 Posts
bub said:
I don't think anyone riding a Honda will log on to "harley davidson forum" Does'nt make much sense. :p
Well, here I am! :D

Just about all bikes here in Jamaica are metric. There are rumours of Harley-Davidsons in Jamaica, but I have yet to see one here in the metal.

The Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Company doesn't make a bike under 500cc and nothing under 883cc has borne their name since they sold Aermacchi (to a company called Cagiva...) Therefore they make nothing that remotely compares to my 200cc bike. Also, since Jamaica has prohibitive taxes on motorcycles greater than 600cc in capacity, it will take a true (and rich) believer to import a H-D.

As for mixed forums being "psycho wards" as FifthGear put it, I came here from a link posted at a mixed forum called Motorcycle Crossroads ( http://www.fp-webs.com:8080/~Xroads ). While we have had a few family quarrels we generally do live in peace, despite having die-hards of all kinds among us.

BTW I do not ride a Japanese cruiser. My Japanese bike is more a standard than anything else...

·
Registered
40 Posts
FifthGear said:
People who have an intense interest in Harley Davidsons (like myself) really don't know or don't care to know about metrics.
Depends on just how intense one is...

If you have been around the net, then I think you have been to forums that have a Harley/metric mix. There are always fights, arguments, and disagreements about bikes.
XRoads doesn't abide fights. As for arguments and disgareements, as long as they remain respectful, what exactly is wrong with that? There must be conflicting views on this board about the V-Rod; is that going to tear it apart?

It doesn't happen here because people on this forum who own a Harley have a bike that they are content with owning. They bought what their heart told them instead of just their wallet.
To quote my tagline from XRoads: "Everyone rides for his own reason, and the reason chooses the bike."

I've owned metrics and I will ride with metric owners. I think metric owners are as good, fun, and decent people as anyone else. But bringing metric bikes into this forum is like someone wanting to enter their cat in a dog show. Although they are both fine animals, they just aren't the right mix. And there are plenty of cat shows to enter. So why would you even want to.
"Is a cat a man, Huck"

"No."

"Well, den, dey ain't no sense in a cat talkin' like a man. Is a cow a man? - er is a cow a cat?"

"No, she ain't either of them"

"Well, den, she ain't got no business to talk like either one er the yuther of 'em. Is a Frenchman a man?"

"Yes."

"Well, den! Dad blame it, why doan' he talk like a man? You answer me dat!"

- from "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain

I am pleased when metric owners come to a forum like this for information and interact in a respectful manner. We are more than glad to help with questions. But if you would like some URLs of some mixed forums to visit I can give them to you. They are a mad house. Almost a psyco ward. No, I would hate to see a good thing turn bad here. Visitors truly welcome, but no metric catagories. That's my .02
Here's a URL for a respectful mixed site: http://www.fp-webs.com:8080/~Xroads Together for at least five years without disintegrating into an "us vs. them" catfight.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Hey blob dude, I realize that a cat isn't a man. The example was given for those who have never owned a Harley....those who think a metric is the very same thing....and those who would otherwise never understand the difference , an example that maybe they could relate to better.

SO again with the cat/dog example: They are both animals. They both have four legs. They both have a tail. They both have hair. They both have teeth. Yeah they are very similar. Some people own dogs. Some people own cats. Some people own both. But to a dog owner, he couldn't care less that their cat is just as smart as a dog or can run faster, or his fur is smoother, or he is meaner. It just doesn't matter and he really gets tired of hearing it. To the dog owner the dog is different. He wonders why the cat owner finds it so important to want to be around him and compare the cat to his dog.

I've got a better idea. Some people like football. Some people like baseball. Some people like both. Why don't we just combine the games!!! We could give the team with the shoulder pads and helmets some bats, and we could give the other team some BALLS. LOL

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
One more just for you Samblob. I did visit the site that you suggested. It may be just the right site for some. But I'm sure glad that there is a site like HarleyDavisonForum.com for the rest of us Harley owners and enthusiasts.
I decided to include this little clip from your favorite forum:

"What's to know, its an Electra Glide/Road King style bike with a frame mounted fairing and a Big Bore 1550 rubber mounted Twin Cam with a counter balanced crank, saddle bags and floor boards, backrest and a comfy all day riding stance and a really nice factory custom paint job. That's really not that unusual or special, its pretty much a run of the mill HD touring rig. Not much different that every other "uncorked" FLH***** you see going down the road. A big, heavy, boring, scraping, no turning, hunk of american touring metal. "

Oh, and by the way.....welcome to the site.

Later

·
Registered
47 Posts
Big Al,
My question was about the comfort of the stock RoadKind seats. Since my butt's gonna
be riding on one for a week, I needed to know if I should bring a pad or something.
I'm glad I asked because several guys told me that the seat was quite uncomfortable.

I agree with Sambob that this isn't the place for *** cruiser owners to hang out, even though
I own a Yamaha. My opinion is that a forum called "HarleyDavidson" is for owners of HD's period.
There are other forums that are non-brand specific that are better suited for motorcycling in general.

I am a frequent visitor and contributor to forums that deal only with Shelby 427 S/C Cobra
replicas. There is plenty of "mine is better than yours" controversy regarding the different
manufacturers of Cobra kits. I can only imagine what kind of chaos would insue if owners of
rice burners were to start posting on these sites.

I really don't see the need for a section on this forum for us *** riders. Like I said earlier, the reason
I came here was because I had a Harley related question.

We all have our own personal tastes, likes and dislikes. For me, I like my Yamaha better than the
Sportster that I use to own. When and if I ever trade my Virago in on a hog, then I'll be back and I'll
look forward to hanging with you good people.

Until then....ride well and wave often.

Cheers
Jim

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Jcolman, as it stands....we do have this Japanese Cruiser catagory. As for as this site goes if you want to post here on metrics this would be the place to do it. And as you notice everyone is welcome to post here just as I chose to. I only have an opinion just as you probably do. I don't run this site. I only contribute. Knock yourself out dude!

Later

1 - 20 of 32 Posts