V-Twin Forum banner

Where's the horse power?

3K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  LAF 
#1 ·
Here we go. A friend of mine has a 2004 Ultra, has a 95" BB with V&H duals, SE slip ons and SERT. He just had Andrews 26's with gears put in and dyno'd. Get this. He LOST 3 HP and gained 4 lbs/ft torque. Showing 68 HP and right about 80 tq. (I forget the exact number for tq) He still has decel popping from 2000 to about 1600 RPM's. This is after the "dyno tune". Where's the HP? He has stock heads, stock lifters stock pushrods. He should be making a heck of a lot more HP and torque, right? What do we do next kids? We need some help here, he's quite disapointed.

#3 ·
HIPPO said:
If you consider that a stage1 88 usually has a bit over 70HP the logical conclusion is that either the tuning is way off and it is going into knock retard or it is sumping.
What pipes?
SE Pro II :badmood:

#4 ·
#5 ·
wow, my stock (stage 1) 01 with MM/EFI and wilp pig slip ons made 72 and 81.5 with a dfo. When I put the PCIII and V&H Propipe on it ran considerably better although never dynoed, just using a canned map.
How does your bike feel with the 26 in it? Those seem like pretty low #'s. Good luck finding your problems!

#8 ·
He says it feels a bit stronger, so the "seat of the pants test" shows results. How do I check if it is sumping?

#12 · (Edited)
timbo said:
Guys, as well as a potential fubar in tuning, aren't the stock heads a big part of the problem??
Have to agree. Everything I've read anywhere says that the stock heads don't really flow enough for an 88". If that's the case, adding a few cubic inches won't bring out the full potential. Someone above said that it's tuning since such a build should give 70 hp. 68 is awfully close to 70.

I'm not the expert here and I don't have a dog in this fight since I'm lazy and cheap and run stock motors. :) That said, if I were to go to 95 cubic inches, a good set of ported heads would be the first thing on my list.

Someone didn't spend enough money yet.

%potstir@

#13 ·
WOW the 26 will make a large change, something amiss here. Sumping or poor tun. The tune is easy where is the dyno sheet with the afr?? and from there a data record to see if it is going into retard mode. I tune with the timing mode in default where it cannot retard, get my afr right then I make another run with it working to make sure that it is nopt retarding timing

#17 ·
sailordb said:
".....horse power is for racing, torque is for ridring...."
Yes, but.... you don't LOOSE either one when you ADD cams.

#19 ·
Perhaps if you post the dyno some of the experts on this forum might gain some insight to what's happening to the motor. Just a thought.:coffee:

#20 · (Edited)
Here's the dyno runs. Hope you can read them.

#21 · (Edited)
According to the dates on the sheets, it looks like he gained 5 ft-lbs TQ between 2500-3500 rpm and lost 2hp at 5500rpm, but had more down low.
TQ looks higher on 12/21/05 than on 2/18/05 by 4 ft-lbs. Hp droped 1.7
Maybe I missed something here.

#22 ·
What we are questioning is he had 70 HP before the 26G's and now has 67 HP. Yes the tq went up about 2 lbs/ft. He should be in the 80's on HP and the low 90's on tq. Where's the HP? Is it all in the SERT and the tech didn't know how to get it out? The AFR is right about 17:1 at first and settled in at about 14:1. Sounds lean to me, am I right?

#23 ·
Geezer-Glide said:
What we are questioning is he had 70 HP before the 26G's and now has 67 HP. Yes the tq went up about 2 lbs/ft. He should be in the 80's on HP and the low 90's on tq. Where's the HP? Is it all in the SERT and the tech didn't know how to get it out? The AFR is right about 17:1 at first and settled in at about 14:1. Sounds lean to me, am I right?
those figures make me think stage one download!?!?

#25 ·
ViennaHog said:
Take it out for a spin 10-15 min I would guess, take off the cam cover and look for oil level in the cam chest. If you find more than say a small cup of oil, you may have a sumping problem. When mine did it, I found 2"-3" oil level in the cam chest
Rather than remove the cam cover, just pull the plug in the bottom of the case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.