V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

Another new guy here.

I rented a Fat Boy and attended the Love Ride in LA recently. The experience was great. Good motor, good handling, good braking. I would love to get back in to a HD.

I owned a mild chopper with a pan head engine when I was young.

Where is the best place / best deals on a young HDs these days? Is there a softail model that is better than the Fat boy? I want it for relaxation and probably won't ride more than an hour stretch at one time.

From what I have been reading, new might be the best option, but the local dealer wants $5K more than MSRP! I don't know if it is modified or not. I guess it probably is.

What is the trick?

Danny

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
The trick is to shop, shop, then shop some more. Use the internet and check out dealers all over the country. Some dealers will fly you out to buy from them.
You want to know if there's a "better" softail than the Fat Boy. Better in what way? I'm a Dyna rider but as far as softails go I really like the Deuce. But that's me, you gotta find out what you like
Good luck

Dean

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I agree. Take your time before you buy. Rent another bike or two before you decide.

In addition, read everything you can here at the H/D Forum. Listen to what the owners are saying and asking about their bikes. You'll learn a lot.

And, take a peak at: www.hawgeye.com for a good review of "stealer and dealers" as well as independent shops. You may want to consider checking some Internet sites, including this one, for bikes for sale.

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
5k over MSRP! What a freaking joke! That SOB doesn't deserve to own a franchise! Keep looking! And make sure that stealer knows that not only will you not buys his bikes, but you won't give him a bloody dime for anything in his stealership! - I'm sick of this ****!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. Yes I was speaking of Barnett HD. My guess is they load the bikes up with lots of goodies before they even hit the showroom floor.

I'll keep looking. As far as renting again, there isn't an Eagle Rider in my neighborhood. Any body know if there is another rental place in this area?

Danny

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
VettesRule,
If the bike is "loaded" with the goodies you want WTF, over? We all want MSRP, but if its the bike you want with the sh/t you want...............

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm very happy with my Standard.
Saved some money over the FatBoy and used it to turn the Standard into something that suits me just fine.

FatBoys are very cool 'though.

Good luck

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Try a Deuce. My local dealer has demos and rentals. I did'nt even buy it from him because I found what I wanted elsewhere. I did pay more than MSRP though!:mad:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I would agree that the only reason to pay over MSRP is if you really want a specifis bike in a specific time frame. Barnett is well known for being able to get you exactly what you want NOW. However, not surprisingly, he charges more. If a bike has extras, then MSRP no longer applies. Rather, you must decide if the extras are what you would like and if they are priced fairly. Many of us have several thousand in extras on our bikes ; its easy to add $5k. Be sure, though, to ask for a list of specific extras including the pricing on them.

From what i have seen, volume HD dealerships are often very different than volume auto dealers. They are big because they have, or can get, selection, now!. They are not cheaper, in fact often more expensive. Barnett buys many of his bikes from other dealers (not from the motor company) so his costs can be much higher (I'm not guessing here).

Good luck, greg

btw, try a Road King too.

·
Registered
201 Posts
As for big twins, I've got a Deuce and a Road King. The Deuce is my local area scoot, the RK for the long haul. Both are *great*. Like others have said, you've gotta get what *you* like. Maybe you can at least con that dealer in your area out of a catalog. Sleep with it, learn it cover to cover. Decide what you like then go look at those bikes. Ride them if you can find a place to rent. Then when you've decided, find a real dealer and not that con shop you mentioned. I wouldn't pay them that much even if they loaded it with goodies. I want to decide what gee gaws I want myself, not what somebody else thought would sell.

-jeff

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Went to Barnett this weekend. I got a catalog and a test ride on a V-Rod. If I had had 21gs I may have left with a duece or a Fat Boy.

The selection and sales support is great. The problem is the price. Their stock bikes are way over MSRP. I guess they get enough people paying it because the dealership was full.

I'll keep shopping.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Danny

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Yeah, VR, definitely look around. Price seems to depend on demand. I got my '03 1200S in Temple at MSRP. I then traded it after about 700 miles for a '03 FXD at Alamo City in SA for nearly MSRP/MSRP. Talk to Neil if you check out Alamo City. The standard is that Barnett's is higher than anybody, but they've usually got what you want.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
FWIW, Saw my exact bike a Las Vegas HD less than 3 weeeks later it it was going for 2K less:mad:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not sure if you would even consider coming over to Houston, but Republic in SW Houston is selling at MSRP, and they have a big selection of bikes. If you decide to ask for Paul, or give them a call @ 281-295-1000.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts