V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought set of 1200 off a 95. I want to send them out to have them done. The problem is all the guys I know are car people and not sure who to send it to. Could use so advice where and how much the job is worth to port them and 3 angle. I also plan on doing a cam and forged pistons 9.5 to 1

·
Registered
245 Posts
good better and best head

the 122 heads are extras you bought?? what else do ya have?
headquarters(head-quarters.com)provides best results from 883 heads. but if you have the e 1200 heads only then Heres what I can offer. nallin racing does stages of work and can provide great hp. However the work of headquarters seem to keep torque in mind and dynos show tq staying at 90% of hp. ie. 80 ho and 75 or higher tq. Other porting shops doing 80 hp may only show 70 lbs tq. let me know why you bought 1200 heads and if you have a set of 883 heads.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
My .02 cents. Put those 1200 heads on eBay and sell them. You can probably get about $200 for them. Once you have done that...take off your 883 heads and have them done by a local machine shop. Even the automotive guys should be able to do it. There is a template that is pretty easy to follow that my local mechanic offered to give me so I could do the work myself...I declined to do that, since I have never even tried before, but it is pretty easy from what I hear.
Your stock 883 heads will outperform those 1200 heads you bought. Do yourself a favor and keep the stock heads, but have them opened up a little.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought them for 50 bucks and the valve size look alot bigger than when the conversion was done on mine. I bought this bike from the guy who did the conversion so I know it has the stock heads and cam.The valve size looks alot smaller when I saw the heads off a year ago. When I take off it is great but the engine feels very resticted at high rpm. I have been checking out different sites to figure out what more is there to a 1200 besides bore what else differs from an 883 and what to do to make it respond to the mods. I figured for 50 on the heads I couldn't go wrong . I know stranger to performance, my daily driver 97 Z28 that run 12.0 @ 117 mph and the thought of having a bike that doesn't run with my car doesn't sit to well with me .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts