V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know Where you can get true dual headers only. I have pipes in mind that dont happen to be V&H, Rinehart, Caliber, etc. Just want the headers and I've been told that the V&H are to restrictive. Could this actually benefit a EFI bike?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Your profile says you have an FXST, is this what you are looking for header pipes for? You could buy Cycle Shack drag pipes and cut them off and use slip ons. They would use the stock heat shields. http://cycle-shack.com/products/14.html .
If you're looking for true duals for a bagger, the V&H Dresser Duals are header pipes only, they take anybody's mufflers.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Bub makes one called The Cross Dresser. Other than the V&H, there is Samson. You could also go with the Torres Cycle Concepts, or FullSac kits, which convert the OEM cross over to a true dual set up. All of these take the OEM size mufflers.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I wonder were they V&H Duals are restrictive story comes from. It sure didn't seem be the case with mine. I had to add some more baffling to create some restriction in order to get a little back pressure to try and get back some bottom end that I lost.

BTW, Cycle Shack also makes duals. They are chrome head pipes only, no heatshields. They are a little over 200 bucks. I have a buddy that put a set on an Ultra. He liked them.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
IMHO, i would only use the V+H,as there fitment is 2nd to none, as well as chrome and performance. I have installed about 10 sets of these without one problem. The only recommedation I have is to get a pair of new o.e style clamps for the mufflers. The ones that come with the kit are not good enough in my book. They are not crazily priced if you get them from a discounter on the web. Just my $.02

·
Another Great Day to Ride
963 Posts
I had Bub Cross Dresser True Dual Headers mated to Hooker Tuned Flow Slip On Mufflers. The look and fit was perfect for me. I had no problems what-so-ever.

I'm switching to Rineharts, but, only because my bike got damaged in the accident.

E :cool:

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
ernster500 said:
I had Bub Cross Dresser True Dual Headers mated to Hooker Tuned Flow Slip On Mufflers. The look and fit was perfect for me. I had no problems what-so-ever.

I'm switching to Rineharts, but, only because my bike got damaged in the accident.

E :cool:
Are the Bub cross dressers usable?
Are you looking to get rid of them?

Thanks

·
Another Great Day to Ride
963 Posts
Paniolo said:
Are the Bub cross dressers usable?
Are you looking to get rid of them?

Thanks
I don't think they are usable. The exhaust got crunched up pretty good from the collision.

Hopefully, I should have the bike back the end of this week. If I find out they are still good, I'll give a shout out...

To answer the original question, I purchased the Bub's Cross Dresser Headers at through www.directparts.com .

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
ernster500 said:
I don't think they are usable. The exhaust got crunched up pretty good from the collision.

Hopefully, I should have the bike back the end of this week. If I find out they are still good, I'll give a shout out...

To answer the original question, I purchased the Bub's Cross Dresser Headers at through www.directparts.com .
If the mufflers are trashed, that's okay. It's just the pipes and shields I am interested in. Just let me know.

Thanks

Mark

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
In my near obsessive reading of this board, and my personal research, I have come across exactly one comment from one individual who thought the V&H Dresser Duals were too restrictive, with no evidence to back it up.
For anything less than a fire-breathing big inch motor, they're fine. I like mine, my tuner likes them, and several other tuners I've talked to like them (as far as duals go). Muffler choice is critical, though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reponses to my post everybody. I will certainly reconsider the V&H headers, especially since someone walked all over my post and punked me for the potential of a used set of Bub's. Oh well . If this is the worst thing that happen's to me this week I will consider myself fortunate.
This forum is a wealth of knowledge and experience that I greatly appreciate.
Have a good one fella's consider my question answered.
Ron

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
pelon said:
someone walked all over my post and punked me for the potential of a used set of Bub's.
Gee Ron,

Now I feel bad about asking Ernster500 for those used Bub Cross Dressers. Tell ya what Ron, if the Ernster posts they are usable, you can get first crack at them. Hows that? Fair enough?

No hard feelings, and keep the rubber side down.

Mark

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Appreciate the link Styd. Going to do something here pretty quick. I want to see that crossover gone. Hope you get some good riding days up there before winter sets in.
Ron

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
chnpostal, Thanks for that info. I have not seen that company before. I like to see prices but can call or email. Very impressed with layout and picture quality of their catalogue. Thanks again.
Ron

·
Habitual **************.
234 Posts
MegaGlide said:
In my near obsessive reading of this board, and my personal research, I have come across exactly one comment from one individual who thought the V&H Dresser Duals were too restrictive, with no evidence to back it up.
For anything less than a fire-breathing big inch motor, they're fine. I like mine, my tuner likes them, and several other tuners I've talked to like them (as far as duals go). Muffler choice is critical, though.
I removed a set of V+H ovals from an SE 103 and replaced them with a set of recores from Fullsac with 2.0 cores and picked up 6 HP. The recores were quieter too. If I remember, the inlet cores on the V+Hs were 1.5 or 1.625. Too small for sure.
RB

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Road Bag said:
I removed a set of V+H ovals from an SE 103 and replaced them with a set of recores from Fullsac with 2.0 cores and picked up 6 HP. The recores were quieter too. If I remember, the inlet cores on the V+Hs were 1.5 or 1.625. Too small for sure.
RB
I just kept the Hooker True Dual header pipes, but switched the mufflers to FullSacs too.
Been satisfied so far. My ears and neighbors appreciate it too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts