V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a site where I can buy House of Kolor paint for a good (cheap) price??? Thanks
:chopper:

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Bikers Choice is now distributing House of Kolor products. Most indy shops should be able to order it for you, maybe you can get a decent discount from the shop. Check around and see what you get for pricing, then give me a call. I'll see if I can help.

Bean

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Very helpfull. I'm painting the Road King as soon as my paint and new gun arrive!! Can't wait.....
?prty:

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
RoadKingCurley said:
Thanks for the replies. Very helpfull. I'm painting the Road King as soon as my paint and new gun arrive!! Can't wait.....
?prty:
Which gun did u buy? I have several of the IWATA HVLP nock offs. They spray nicely but I came across a used IWATA LPH 400 for real cheap. Painter gettin out of the bussiness .. Man can that gun spray. I still like my Binks 7 but the paint waste is huge. Only thing to watch for with HVLP is CFM . Most use large amounts of air and a small compressor will not keep up. And if it drops too much u will get poor paint atomization . I have a 60 gallon 2 stage with HV couplers and 1/2 pip plumbed throughout the garage with Oil and air filters , final dry is a dessicant filter. And it runs alot when doing a whole car , but for just a bike a small 20-30 gallon should keep up.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which gun did u buy? I have several of the IWATA HVLP nock offs. They spray nicely but I came across a used IWATA LPH 400 for real cheap. Painter gettin out of the bussiness .. Man can that gun spray. I still like my Binks 7 but the paint waste is huge. Only thing to watch for with HVLP is CFM . Most use large amounts of air and a small compressor will not keep up. And if it drops too much u will get poor paint atomization . I have a 60 gallon 2 stage with HV couplers and 1/2 pip plumbed throughout the garage with Oil and air filters , final dry is a dessicant filter. And it runs alot when doing a whole car , but for just a bike a small 20-30 gallon should keep up.
I decided on a CATechnologies Jaguar SLP HVLP. http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/CAT/CAT%20Jaguar%20SLP.htm It was about $75 more than I wanted to spend but I'll never have to buy another gun. Not in my lifetime!! I've also got a Binks M1-g HVLP that I got used for almost nothing, and a couple of Sharpe cheapies that I use for prime. I've got 3 Paasche air brushes, but I really only do art work on my own and very close friends bikes. I've got a Devilbiss 80 gal, 5hp single stage, also w/ oil, air and a dessicant filter, that works just fine for the amount of painting I do which is mostly bikes, maybe 5 - 10 a year at the most for friends. I plan on retiring in 5 years, 58, and I'll paint on the side for something to do in between riding!! :chopper:

:thanks:

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats a nice gun. did u go 1.3 or 1.5? I like the 1.5 for my clear as I us mostly High solids just seems to flow better. My nock offs have 1.4 in them and it's a good compromise. HOK Kosmic clear spray's nice with the 1.4 . I looked at the Dura block 007 http://www.autobodystore.com/dura-block.htm but the IWATA came along
Actually I got all three tips, 1.3, 1.5 and 1.7 and two extra cups, a .750 plastic and a 1000 aluminum so I'm all set for a while. But that Dura 007 looks SWEET and for what you get with it, it ain't a bad price. The handle might be a little skinny for me though. IWATA's are great but they cost as much as a SATA. Nice that you got a deal on yours. I almost exclusively use HOK paints, love em. Everything just goes together. No guesswork. I don't even really use anything else. I'm just allways looking for a good deal. :xhere:
@gree:

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
U really cant beat HOK for custom stuff. I have been using PPG for basic colors and they have a nice selection of custom pearls I like the violet dry pearl , only problem is sold in 6 oz and it 78 bucks . More expensive than HOK and 2 oz last me a couple of paints.
I'm doing my bike right now black base with Phantom flames in violet blend to red with a little green-blue dry pearl at the tips. I make my clear in small patches for this and save it in pint cans . Then all I need to do is add the cat and reducer when i'm ready to spray . I'll post some pics when its done but u really cant see the Phantoms in a pic. they come and go as u walk around the bike.

the rear fender custom work is in this forum I have the tins all based out and 2 coats of inter clear now I just need to tape out the flames and shoot.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
I really like the Iwata

Fxsts103ci said:
Which gun did u buy? I have several of the IWATA HVLP nock offs. They spray nicely but I came across a used IWATA LPH 400 for real cheap. Painter gettin out of the bussiness .. Man can that gun spray. I
Out of curiosity, what did you pay for the Iwata LPH 400? I've been using a Iwata LPH 100 for most of the small stuff (tanks & fenders). I can put an eggshell texture down that really makes the HoK pearls pop with it. A trick the late Tom Stratton showed me. It trips people out when under the clear you see "texture" but it's smooth to the touch after color sanding & polishing. I'll custom mix pearls as you do except w/ intercoat cleat and save the small batches for airbrushing. Hope your bike turns out great...sounds like you're almost there. Post some pics when done.
Tim

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
1bdBagr said:
Out of curiosity, what did you pay for the Iwata LPH 400? I've been using a Iwata LPH 100 for most of the small stuff (tanks & fenders). I can put an eggshell texture down that really makes the HoK pearls pop with it. A trick the late Tom Stratton showed me. It trips people out when under the clear you see "texture" but it's smooth to the touch after color sanding & polishing. I'll custom mix pearls as you do except w/ intercoat cleat and save the small batches for airbrushing. Hope your bike turns out great...sounds like you're almost there. Post some pics when done.
Tim
U wont believe but I paid 150 for it.Gun list for over 400 and it couldnt have been used more than a dozen times. Seems the guy owed some money to various jobbers and skipped town the day after I bought it . I have done some work like u said I have giving the water drop effect to panel. U actually spray with a mister then lower the pressure and spray from an angle . What I do is spray an orange from the front then add a little red and go at from the back very light giving it a 3 d look let the water evaporate and clear.. Here are some pics not my work but I got the tutorial from him and it comes out fantastic. looks like water but after u sand the clear its smooth

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I also mix into the inercoat clear sorry if I wasnt clear on it. The water effects is best used on small areas hard on a tank but I have done it ,u have to tape a small area and then do one side at time and leave it sitting so the water dont roll off , but it dont come out as good as hood or trunk .

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1bdBagr said:
I can put an eggshell texture down that really makes the HoK pearls pop with it. A trick the late Tom Stratton showed me. It trips people out when under the clear you see "texture" but it's smooth to the touch after color sanding & polishing. Tim
How, exactly do you do this? I'm going to paint my bike Black Pearl base and Brandywine Kandy over it. I wonder how this would look in the Black Pearl? Any info is appreciated!!:thanks: :xhere:

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
eggshell texture

I don't know how the technique would work on black, but i'll use it when putting down HoK base white, I lay down a few coats to cover, then lay down a coat with the pressure dropped to lay down a light "stipple"...it looks like eggshell texture. The idea being that the light will have more "surfaces" to reflect off of. The rough texture really makes their pearls pop. It's a fairly subtle effect. As i said before, I do not know how it wouls work on a dark or black surface. I'd do a test panel and try it out first. I do the test panels, stripe and clear them and hang them in the office (or sell them). I'm a big fan of that black sparkle pearl... i used that on my last bike. I liked it enough that i'm pretty sure i'm going to use it again (since I have a quart or two laying around)....good luck
Tim

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fxsts103ci said:
U wont believe but I paid 150 for it.Gun list for over 400 and it couldnt have been used more than a dozen times.
Man you got a great deal!!! Why can't I find those???:huh:

:sofa:

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1bdBagr said:
I don't know how the technique would work on black, but i'll use it when putting down HoK base white, I lay down a few coats to cover, then lay down a coat with the pressure dropped to lay down a light "stipple"...it looks like eggshell texture. The idea being that the light will have more "surfaces" to reflect off of. The rough texture really makes their pearls pop. It's a fairly subtle effect. As i said before, I do not know how it wouls work on a dark or black surface. I'd do a test panel and try it out first. I do the test panels, stripe and clear them and hang them in the office (or sell them). I'm a big fan of that black sparkle pearl... i used that on my last bike. I liked it enough that i'm pretty sure i'm going to use it again (since I have a quart or two laying around)....good luck
Tim
Thanks. I am gonna try a test panel. Maybe I'll try base white stipple under the Black Pearl. I've used the base white under the black pearl before and it really reflects the pearl. The stipple might make it reflect even more. Any way I'll give it a try. White stipple base, black pearl, candy brandywine, silver ghost flames.......cool!!:yes:

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
black

The black pearl i used was fairly opaque...not like the other shimrin pearls i've used. If I remember correctly i used a black base, then a coat of the black pearl. Let me know how it turns out. For test panels, i use 18"x24" aluminum sign blanks, they're already coated white. That makes it easy. Then , if you do it up right...you can slap it in a standard 18x24 picture frame, & hang it in the garage by your bike. Have fun...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts