V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Curious, why 147gn in the 9mm?
147 is more popular for competition use. The felt recoil is less. You don't have to push them as fast to make the power factor. I use a Dillion progressive press than can easily load 500 rounds an hour of handgun ammo.

A few years back talking to some of the engeeners at Sig they did a test with ammo and the rate of wear on the barrel. Two identical AR's and they fired brass and steel through them. Using steel the barrels wore out several thousand rounds sooner.

Not an issue if a few hundred rounds per year are shot. And that's probably the norm for most users. Same for frangible. That eats up barrels in the quantities shot by the senior instructors. With new facilities, they no longer have to use it as much.

·
Registered
15,641 Posts
I smell spam.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Begone scoundrel! :nono:
Sir Alan doth detest purveyors of spam and has little patience with thy (thine?) solicitations.
Beware. Be warned.
:laugh: :beer:

·
Registered
15,641 Posts
Begone scoundrel! :nono:
Sir Alan doth detest purveyors of spam and has little patience with thy (thine?) solicitations.
Beware. Be warned.
What he said.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
Steel cases solved a few issues for the USSR. First, they cost less to manufacture. Second they reduce stoppages in auto feeding weapons and are less susceptible to damage when exposed to field conditions. As for wear and tear, I don't think that was really a major concern for them.
Steel cased 7.62 X 39 runs fine in AK's, while steel cased ammo does NOT run well in AR's.... Something about how the cartridge is shaped.... I just read an article on it recently...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Best little gun department in the world at the Rural King stores if you have one close by...

There online store, RKguns.com, is a great way to buy also. Great prices and cheap shipping to one of their stores if you are lucky to live close to one.....

Fun stores to FK around in also while eating free popcorn and drinking free coffee... Simple things in life are the best....

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm on the email list of a dozen or more on-line bulk ammo sellers. I get a half-dozen 'sale notices' every day.

Ammo is heavy and shipping charges are what kills ya. Ammoman prices incl S&H and Brownell's often has $5-10 S&H specials.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Steel cases solved a few issues for the USSR. First, they cost less to manufacture. Second they reduce stoppages in auto feeding weapons and are less susceptible to damage when exposed to field conditions. As for wear and tear, I don't think that was really a major concern for them.

95% of all .45 ACP ammo (3.4 BILLION rds!) used by the US military during WWII was steel cased and steel jacketed , made by the Evansville-Chrysler corp. A shortage of brass processing mills was the reason. But the ammo gave impeccable service.

Steel cased and jacketed .30 M1 carbine ammo was also produced.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/book-review-bullets-by-the-billion/

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Deals come and go. best place today is not next week.
Bulk ammo is seldom that great, it functions and is good for minute of man in most cases.
I see shooters with a good Ar shooting 62gr bulk stuff and griping at the groups size. Blaming the weapon. Then hand them some 73 gr either quality store purchased or reloads done right. And like magic that weapon is shooting MOA or better . The bulk stuff has it's place. You should pull samples for what you buy and test it from stocking piling it for SHTF.
Steel case is nothing new. I have some .223 75gr BTHP match sitting in front of me right now. 2790FPS Functions perfectly every time. testing it latter today against some
Other rounds.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts