V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've had a couple threads going on different issues w/ my build and tune, and have been corresponding w/ several of you on some of it, so here's where it stands now.

Replaced the V&H Basic slip-ons w/ Samson Rolled Thunder. W/ my set-up, I like the sound better, more of a deep rumble, and pretty pleasant at cruise.
They are flowing better, with my dyno runs in 5th showing more HP/Tq than in 4th, which was not the case before.
The "head chirping" issue is gone. There were a couple of variables here, so I don't know what fixed it, but the mufflers are different and the SE exhaust gaskets have been replaced w/ the green gaskets that come w/ the Rineharts (tech had a whole stack of new ones, as he has trouble getting them to seal w/ Rineharts and doesn't use them, but they work well w/ the V&H Dresser Duals I have).

Now, on to the tune.
AFR is dialed in at 13.5, but we used a different base map (the one for the Dyna w/ 257 cams and hi comp heads/pistons), which has a less aggressive ignition map.
5th gear run was only 80 HP and 95ft/lb Tq, 4th was 77 HP and 91 Tq.
Talked to a gentleman of our acquaintance in Orlando and he said it's timing.
After looking at the difference in the two maps I agree (for whatever that's worth). Spoke with another esteemed member here, and he gave me some good tips that I passed on to the tech on techniques to use when adjusting timing w/ the SERT. He also said to go back to the spark tables we used last time as our baseline, which the tech is going to paste into the current map.

So, I kind of think we are finally at the last step. As is, it hits harder than before down low and pulls as well through the RPMs. If we can get the 5-10 ft/lb of torque we're missing as well as those 10-15 HP that are hiding in there as well, I don't think I'll be able to wipe the grin off my face until next winter.
It's slowed down at the shop where it's at for the winter, so it shouldn't be TOO long until we've got it wrapped up, but it isn't a front-burner kind of thing, so it'll probably be a little while until it's done, but I'll let you guys know how it comes out.

Merry Christmas,

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Bout' time we got an update. I was wondering what was going on.

I'm still considering a trip down to see Doc during the cold, boring winter and have him fine tune mine. It's a win win. Give the wife a feeling of taking a little getaway and gets me the satisfaction of knowing I'm going to be ready and running as efficient as I can be for the summer trips.

Gotta find a covered trailer though. I can't be caught dead hauling an Eglide. Even if it is winter and in the 20's and 30's. Just ain't right.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
well at least the annoying head chirping is gone.Good luck on getting the tuning finished....we are all pulling for the lost hp/tq for you too. good luck, keep us posted....:)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
SE Performance Heads 10:1
Andrews 37G Cams
Wood's 2 Degree Advance Key

Watch the knock retard.

If it doesn't pick up use the non HO base map and tune with it. While there is no way of proving it there is reason to believe that these base maps do not use the same knock control strategy

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
HIPPO said:
Or turn the key around for shits and giggles.
Yup! that's what Otto and I did with the installation of the 1.68 rockers and the reworked TB/intake.

Interestingly, it only shifted the torque curve 75 rpm to the right. I was expecting a bigger loss in the low end but it did not happen. Then these combined changes lifted the 4000 rpm and up portion of the torque curve to raise the hp output nicely.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
MegaGlide,

I'm curious to know what kind of changes to the spark advance map the tuner is going to make to affect the timing.

Is he advancing the MAP overall, or just a few cells in certain areas?

Thanks

Mark

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HIPPO said:
SE Performance Heads 10:1
Andrews 37G Cams
Wood's 2 Degree Advance Key

Watch the knock retard.

If it doesn't pick up use the non HO base map and tune with it. While there is no way of proving it there is reason to believe that these base maps do not use the same knock control strategy

OK, I wanna make sure I do this right.
Should I just bring my fuel settings over to the non HO map from the map we have now instead of taking the spark advance settings and pasting them into the HO map?
What knock retard differences have you seen?
And while we are doing the musical maps, something I noticed last time was that 127EV100 (1550 Stage II Bagger) was the best behaved of all the base maps I tried during decel, since it didn't bring injectors back online until about 1800 RPM there was way less of a surge. Would the 127EV100 base work as well, Knock Retard wise, as the 127HD019 (1550 Stage II Dyna) since I'll be copy and pasting like a fiend anyway?

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Paniolo said:
MegaGlide,

I'm curious to know what kind of changes to the spark advance map the tuner is going to make to affect the timing.

Is he advancing the MAP overall, or just a few cells in certain areas?

Thanks

Mark
He's pretty much going to go w/ a more agressive timing map overall, then tune it like he does w/ fuel, except he'll be using torque HP and knock retard instead of AFR to determine success. More power w/ no knock retard = good, knock retard or less power = bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts