V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't have an interesting bio like some of you probably do, but since dprice is such a cool dude and is very receptive to the members wants and requests, I owe it to him to post in this forum catagory because he listened to the members to do his best to make this the best Harley forum on the web. I think it's got some cool members.

I probably rambled on in bits and pieces on my beginning in motorcycles in various threads so I want bore you guys with all my beginnings again. I'll just say that I have been riding street bikes since the late 60's and have owned about a dozen or more bikes and enjoyed every one that I have had. Both my first wife(ex) and my second have found the love of riding through me and I'm glad that I could offer them something that they may not have otherwise ever experienced.
I really haven't said too much about my attitude so i'll go that route. I guess what I admire the most in newer and experienced riders is how they treat others new to the scene. There is always something that can be learned from others no matter how long you have been riding. It may be easy for some to forget that they were once new to bikes too. There are some members on this forum that I have the highest respect for because they never fail to help out and share their knowledge. Whether you like the word "brother" or not is your business but to me everyone sharing the love of bikes and with a helpful attitude I treat like a bro unless their attitudel proves otherwise.

I don't want to create any friction with what I am about to say but it's how I feel and it's me so I'm going to say it. I see a lot of paranoid type feelings around this net with finger pointing and labeling such as poser, yup, rub, wana-be and such. It's almost as if everyone fairly new to the scene is so afraid that they will be labled less than a real biker that they try to go overboard to convince themselves and others that they are really who they would like to be. Some turn out to be the first to label others(which really points the labeling finger at themselves). I also see others who reminise(sp?) about the good old rigid hard core days of biking and think that no newbe on a newer bike could possibly measure up. So for you newer guys, don't worry about it. Be who you are. If you love bikes and you are yourself there are plenty of good guys out there that do respect you. If you are a happy easy going guy, you really don't have to put a grimice bad azz look on your face to fit in,,,,,not with a genuine cool biker. I can't imagine even wanting to fit in where I can't be myself. With my love for bikes, it would be hard to wipe this smile off of my face even if I tried. LOL

Well, that's where my head is . Everyone is different. This forum is ours,,,,dprice has made it clear by his actions that he is for the members. This place is pretty cool to me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Decent bio there, FG. I share your sentiments about labels. Seems like many bikers feel that you aint nothin if you weren't born with a sissy bar up yer butt. In the end, it's who you are inside and how you treat your friends that count.

I have my own personal term for this: Testosterone Syndrome. This can be applied to any situation where a bunch of guys get together and when the juices start flowing, everyone has to have something bigger, better, faster than the next guy. Thats usually when someone or something gets hurt.

Here in NH, I have a circle of friends I like to hunt and fish with. Most of them are in serious competition with each other. One gets a new truck, and everyone else has to get new trucks. Usually, they subconciously all buy the same kind of truck, and try to outdo each other with options and such. When it is fishing season they all think that if you cant catch a fish you are lame, and not a very good fisherman. During hunting season its the worst. You just have to get your deer. Heaven forbid you should not get one... that's almost as bad as banishment. You will face derision for the entire year to come.

So you see, I think popular opinion and peer pressure play a huge part of what we see and do in the motorcycle world. In this case, I think a bjillion guys out there are all trying to be like Jesse James right now. <grin> Especially those who watched the MM2 show.

Riding experience is a two-edged blade. If you have a lot of saddle time, riding is a safer thign the longer you go accident free. It's the first few years you have to worry about, statistically.

So labels are just that. Someone else's impression of how we should be, act, speak, live. Some are good. Some are bad. We should all take them with a grain of salt, because we ARE all under the fraternity of Harley-Davidson riders whether we like it or not.

Peace.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ok..Great posts above...
Here is my .02...
My first bike was a "Lil Petro"...3/4 hp mini-bike my brother, who was stationed in Long Beach Calif. bought for me...It had the type of wheels used for wheelbarows! I was 9 @ the time and boy was I in heaven..
He had a "Riverside" 125 @ the time..Wish he kept it..would have been a collectors item I'm sure..
He then bought a Honda 350, after he rode it for a while it sat in the garage and wouldn't run ...He gave that to me when I was 15, to see if I could get it to run...I did...and 3 miles later the engine blew!
After I was married I bought a Honda 350 to get my license and learn on..I kept that till I wanted a bigger bike.
My next purchase was a Honda 750 Four...I rode the hell out of it...had straight pipes too..
Babies came along, I grew to like boating as the whole family could be together, and still have a cruiser we use for Island camping.
Took up golf about 10 years ago too...Nice to get out with the friends and screw around on the golf course...
Got back into riding 3 years ago, bought a Sportster 1,200...Rode that for 2 years and now have a 2001 FXDL...I now ride about 7,000 to 8,000 miles a year mostly short trips of 100 miles or so..

Thats my story and I'm sticken to it!

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Some thoughts that have been brewing in my head after reading some of the other boards out there on different sites. Fifthgear's comments about labels reminded me...

It's snowing out this morning and some would say I'd be a badass biker if I got on the bike instead of into my pick-up (it's even worse they'd say.....I have heated leather seats in it). Personally, I think choosing the bike would just make me an idiot. I wouldn't enjoy it...given the choice between warm and dry... and wet and cold...it's an easy choice. I will ride if it might rain but usually wouldn't if it is already raining.

I never ever wrap a hankerchief around my head, it just doesn't come naturally to me. There is no chain running between my wallet and my belt. The vast majority of my shirts still have their original sleeves. The only vest I own is down-filled. I have never referred to my wife as my OL, and my cars and trucks are just as special to me as my bike and therefore not "cages".

I love to ride, but I do not live to ride and I definately don't ride to live.

If a buddy asked if I wanted to go riding or play golf...I'd have to ask what course we would be playing before I could answer for sure.

I suppose just the fact that I have a little extra money makes me a RUB in a lot of minds. That's fine by me...that fits.

Poser?...No, doesn't really fit because I don't care if I am "seen" riding, 90% of those I work with and half that I know socially don't even know I own a bike. They aren't into it so why torture my self with some superficial conversation about a topic they know nothing about? The guys I ride with have no desire to be Peter Fonda...we just enjoy riding. We might someday go to Sturgis but mostly out of curiosity, not some primal calling.

I do all my own maintenance and repairs by the way.

Wannabe?...wannabe what? I wanna ride when I feel like it....I wanna be able to afford whatever bike I want....For the most part I wanna be warm and dry.

Just gimme my basic bike (although I admit to tending toward having a fairly new one usually) , don't need $5000 in chrome or titanium connecting rods.

This isn't meant as a slam on anyone......just my way of saying that I love to ride and love my bike...but I do it in my own way.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think the biggest reason for so much division between Harley riders is the guys out there struggling week to week to make a living and wanting a new bike see the white collar guy who has never rode a bike go out and give $10,000 over msrp for a new H.D. In my opinion because so many people did this,it's hard to find a dealership that sells for msrp. The long time Harley rider feels betrayed. The new dealerships here in Indiana won't even work on Shovels. That's the reason you here the word RUB so much. For me the brand of motorcycle I'm riding isn't that important. If times get bad and I can't afford to keep riding my FXD then I'll sell it and ride a Honda if I have to. For me it's the ride not what I'm riding.

Ride On !!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bub, are you shitting me? There are dealers out there who have charged 10k over MSRP???

wow.

Rich or not. Underpriviledged or not, it's human nature to blame others for whatever shortcomings one suffers. Basically, it's jealously. Hell, I can't even go back where I was brought up in Maine and expect to be able to purchase a nice piece of land on the sea. People like John Travola and Martha Stewart have buggered that up for us natives. Hell, in the town I went to grade school, land is selling for ONE MILLION an acre! Am I pissed? Hell yeah. Am I jealous? Hell yeah! It's the most beautiful place on Earth.

Now if I had millions of dollars... I ask myself if I would be upset if someone told me I couldn't BUY what I wanted? Yes.

That hurt to say. Yes. I guess if I had loads of money, I would buy anything and everything I wanted. I sure as hell wouldn't want anyone telling me I couldn't do what I want to do with my money. It would be (if I were rich) MY money and I would have worked hard for it, and would deserve to spend anywhere I wanted.

That's why I can tolerate others. Until now I never heard the term RUB. We are all just folks. If yer a dick, then that's about the only label I could place on yas. If yer a good guy, then let's drink some brews and yak about the ride. =)

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
RUB doesn't mean we automatically pay huge sums above sticker. Personally I'd love to see guys like Barnett HD and some of the other big internet-advertising, pirating independent or factory dealers that have bought up everything they could over the last few years expecting to resell at $2-3000 over MSRP get stuck with a warehouse full of bikes they can't get their money back on. I would defend their right to try but would love to see them go Chapter 11. I never have, didn't this latest time, and would never pay over MSRP. All it takes is a little shopping around. I would be willing to bet that sometime in the next few years after the 100th anniversay glow wears off, we will see prices under MSRP.

·
old timer
516 Posts
I think that the MSRP and other 'price oriented' discussions are just excuses.

THe fact is that I paid $250 for my first harley and when I wanted a newer model in 1974 I thought that $3500 was an outrageous amount of money. Every person feels that they are forced to pay more than they should for what they want.

THe reality is that if you want something you'll find a way to get it. I have a sweet FAsTBOY in my garage and a Millenium Yellow C5 Roadster. I own a 4WD Tahoe and every one of them cost me dearly, but I wanted them and bought them. My computer was very expensive and so are the groceries and utilities I require each month but we find a way to deal with it. If a new scooter is out of reach buy a used one $10k will get you a very acceptable Harley and you can upgrade as your wallet allows...not everyone can afford a new bike and not everyone can afford a new vette...but if you really want one you make it happen. Don't blame it on others if you don't have the wherewithall, to have them.

I can't afford a 20,000 square foot mansion but I don't begrudge thaose who can have them...grow up, save up and live the dream you have.

manny

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I agree too manny, although I am not sure I know exactly what you meant by the "excuses" comment. I don't think there are a bunch of people out there who truely would buy at MSRP but not at MSRP+2000, if thats what the local market demanded.....despite what they say. Is that where you were going?

·
old timer
516 Posts
I meant no offense to anyone, but my point is, if bread starts getting short and they start charging $5.00 a loaf, you'll pay it.

Harleys are expensive and overpriced, but if you really want to ride one you pay what they are asking. I am tired of hearing people make statements like..."I won't pay the price they're asking because the yups have inflated the price..." That's an excuse for not having the gumption to go after what you want. I am no friggin yuppie and I have the toys I want because I made the sacrifice elsewhere in my budget to afford toys that were really what I wanted.

Anyone can get into the Harley Davidson lifestyle, if they stay in their budget and start where they are able. Not everyone can have a new scoot. But to hear all the excuses from people who are unwilling to pay what it costs, well, it's tiresome.

I am not arguing about the inflated price, but that's the reality of our world...hell, if you can't afford it get a cruiser from Yamaha or the other lower cost bikes until you can make the jump to the real thing...being 'up' on two wheels is by far more important than having a new Harley if your budget doesn't allow it.

I just am weary of hearing from some low budget asshole that yuppies have driven them out of the market...every day I see hundreds of Harleys out there and the guys riding them are not all lawyers and stockbrokers. Evidently some folks are willing to pay the price for what they want.

manny

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, just hearing your reponses has helped me get to know YOU alot better. I think I agree with most everyone. I find that the majority of Harley riders that I meet on the road really feel about the same way. Wish I could ride with all of ya.

I think the paranoia on other forums just spreads because we all like to "fit in" with people with a common interest and it's easy to jump on the band wagon and stereo type when it feels like the right thing to do.

You know what I'm talking about. Like the bike trailering thing to rallies. Yeah, they are missing out on the most fun part of it....riding to the rally. But for instance, the fantastic expensive customs that I see there that I never will be able to afford for myself.....I love to see them. They are so cool. I'm just glad that there are things like this that I can look at and drool over. I couldn't care less how they get them there. If you can't ride it there, come on with it. I want to see it anyway.

Thanks for the posts, I do like to know where YOU'RE coming from. Even if I don't always totally agree. There is room for everyone here.

Later,

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wasn't making a jab at anyone.If a person earns a good living more power to you.What I was trying to say was in the 70's and early 80's when the motor company wasn't doing so well they had a dedicated group of people that would not ride anything else.These people dealt with the oil leaks and the cronic break downs and overall poor quality.But they were always there riding their H.D. Now these people that were so loyal in the past are treated like red headed step children by the dealerships.
I'm just an everyday joe who loves to ride but I can understand how some people feel some anger or jealousy toward some of the newer crowd of riders.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well said bub! I for one understand what you are saying about it. Wouldn't you agree that these people need to get over it though and quit crying in their beer? Harley Davidson is just a business and so is the dealerships. I'm not going to worry myself over how I think Harley Davidson or the dealerships should treat me. I like what my motorcycle means to me and really don't care what I mean to them. You have brought a good point to light that rings true for some. Thanks

·
old timer
516 Posts
I started on a 47 Knucklehead in 1968. I then 'upgraded to a 1974/74FLH. I suffered thru the problems like everyone else. I celebrated when in 1982 Harley was bought back from AMF.

But I'll be damned if I'll expect anymore loyalty from them than I do from Chevrolet. Hell they don't even know my name and that's just fine...I don't think they owe me a thing because the pleasure and joy I've experienced from their products far outshines and expectation I have of them.

I used to eat Wonder Bread and I never questioned the price...I smoke Marlboro even tho' I can buy any number of other brands cheaper...I even drink the high end booze, not the generic stuff. I like the fact that i have made productive use of the American Dream and can afford the toys that go with that dream.

What I'd really like next is one of those Lamborghini Muricellas, who knows, I may get one yet...

That is what the American Dream is about...any child who wants something bad enough can have it...you too can grow up to be president if you work hard for it...LOL. At least my share of the Dream is coming true...some time this year I'll but another HD, probably a dresser for the longer putts. I am not about to feel bad about the cost of being me....I can afford it and I thoroughly enjoy spending it...after all...I earned it !

manny

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
What I'd really like next is one of those Lamborghini Muricellas

Blahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa!!!!! .................. oooooops!! ......... may I recommend a Ferrari 550 Maranello of the "proper" vintage, in red which in this case only may be the fastest color, SIR.

·
old timer
516 Posts
Hippo, My Brother,

Ferraris are cool, but check out the new Lambo coupe in Yellow, I gives me chills to fantasize about it...I like this one.

manny

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Sure will. Right after I finish contemplating the possibility of cleaning the air filter in my old truck like I have been doing for a few months now.

LOL

·
Registered
117 Posts
Het Manny why don't you just have your chauffer ride the hog and you can ride in the side car so when the nexr RUB comes up you can pass the Grey Pupon. Some of you people make me want to puke!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts