V-Twin Forum banner

Where is Rod Serling when you need him??

1K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  SERTSARGE 
#1 ·
Now this one I've never heard.

Just got a call from a friend in the Chicago area. He rides with a fellow that has a new '08 Ultra w/security. Guess this past weekend he and some friends stopped for gas at a Marathon gas station, filled up and the fellows '08 bike wouldn't start. No matter what they tried...nothing. They called the dealership and they ask him where he was. He told 'me stopped at a gas station getting gas. They ask what kind of station...he said "Marathon". They advised him to push his bike approx 200 feet away from the pumps and his bike would start. ??? Dealership told them that something in the card readers on Marathon pumps interfered with the HD TSSM system. Did as advised and it started and they finished his ride.

I call BS. Has anybody heard of this. We don't have any Marathon stations in this part of the country or we'd go test it.

I DO KNOW that on my ride in July to Key West we stopped at the a Florida dealership. Tried to set my security on my '02...nothing. Wouldn't set. I sat there trying to figure out what was wrong. Bout that time one of the dealership wrenches walked out, saw me and said forget it. Said microwave towers in the area interfered with the security systems on HDs if I did get it set I might not be able to un-lock it.

I'm going to walk across the street and see if anybody in that bar has heard of this.

Could gas pumps be on there verge of taking over...?????

o~\o

See less See more
#3 ·
They have all kinds of warnings about stray RFI screwing up the system like that in the manual. Probably true. If the pumps use any kind of fast pass system they are puting out a signal looking for the passive fast pass.

#6 ·
Wouldn't surprise me. I work at a TV station with all kinds of RF signals bouncing around. I had a security system on an old car of mine that I had to put a toggle switch to completely kill power to it. Until I did that it would go off even if I hadn't armed it. Also older remote door locks don't like to work unless you get right up to and sometimes place the remote on the car.

#8 ·
It sure can be true. i have seen this happen on Corvettes with walk up keyless entry. RFI gets really tricky and can screw up a lot of things.

OR,,,,,, maybe the oil companies are really trying to get into your computer and brainwash it into only running on their fuel. Then they can really jack the price up.........hmmmmmmm!:hmmm:

#9 ·
Man, I can just see it now...Rod Serling speaking into the camera while sitting astride his Road King as he adjusts his aluminum foil hat at the Marathon station.

Next he's depicted cursing, swearing, and sweating as he shoves that monster a quarter mile down the road to escape the terrifying electronic emissions.

Very entertaining.

It's high time we had a little electronic chaos...we got gypped out of all the predicted Y2K catastrophies! Jeez!!!! :woohoo:

#10 ·
I buy it big time...
I experience RF interference issues with both my truck and M/C security systems almost regularly. Work close to a naval station and the U.S. - Mex border.
Been several times I had to disarm the using manual TSSM procedures while parked at work.
Because of this, I preach to anyone who will listen to always carry the code card and practice the manual arming/disarming.
The '07 and later systems are a little more user friendly as the code numbers display in the odo during entry. My '02 was a little more tricky as you had to count number of flashes of the engine light, or turn signal indicators in the speedo cluster.
Better to push a few buttons than a few hundred feet, but that's just me. :yes:

#11 ·
Would also add that your buddy on the '08 didn't have the option of setting his system as opposed to earlier model push button fobs. His bike more than likely set itself as soon as he walked away from the bike.
Curious why the dealership advised pushing and not manually disarming.

#13 ·
its all a conspiracy by the oil companies and HD and maybe Bush . Marathon is the first to install these new card readers then the other companies follow, soon they all have them and you cant push your bike far enough to get it started.

HD comes to the rescue with the new lead shield tins to block the radio waves at a cost of you guessed it 100 $ plus 40 to do the 5 minute install. they then kick back the 40$ to the oil companies. All because Harley sales have tanked and the stock is going bellie up next week. Mark my words, you heard it here first...

:corn:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.