V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you feal the safest on the interstate hyways or the 2 lane roads. this has been a topic of ours for a few days. just wondering what every body thinks . i like the 2 lane stuff for many reasons mostly slower speeds and better seanery.

·
Registered
351 Posts
2 lane.... Mostly locals driving it.... Interstate.... Everybody driving on it. The safest I feel is usually on the 2 lane but only in groups. Interstate for me feels safer as a single rider! or no more then a couple of bikes..

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
Both have their own hazards. A 2 lane has the potential for head-on collisions and sudden left-turn-in-front-of-you "I never saw him" treats. The interstate is good for high speed projectiles - rocks, retreads, wheels, bodies etc... Gotta be ready for anything in either venue

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm sure there will be many different opinions on this topic as there are on so many here in the forum. For "me", I like the back road stuff.Then again I've been a country boy all my life. I'm sure many others prefer the long straights of an interstate. It's all in what you're used to. Some one once posted some stats here that said the big stuff was safer.

I've done some touring over the years,and although the interstate gets me there quicker,I'm a little more comfortable when I can back off the throttle some and relax. I've been in some stuff around Philly and NYC at high speeds that I don't wish to repeat. This is just for me not anyone else. I'm not real comfortable with a semi on my ass at 75-80 mph. My old sled is vibrating even at those speeds and when you're only a few feet in front or behind of someone you know you'll be roadkill if someone has to lock em up. Hell, sometimes I think the brakes on the old stuff was made to stop in blocks not feet! One of the best things to me, after doing a demo on the new stuff, was the improved braking....awesome.

To each his own... I'm just not the "white knuckle" kind of rider anymore. I like to lean back and enjoy the ride.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
sammy, does your P.M. work? I sent you two P.M.s in the last few days and don't know if you ever got them :confused:

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
...I prefer the back roads and really enjoy the old main highways (four lanes that were replaced by interstates). When running the backroads, I do slow down not only for the scenery, but also because the left turns and such. Most folks on these roads drive by habit, it seems, more so than sight and they are not in the 'habit' of seeing bikes approaching.

The mosty hated for me is Toll Roads, not to be confused with Turnpikes. The asses entering and leaving the booths will kill your arse!

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
I dunno, I feel safe all the time I guess. I ride faster than traffic is flowing. I ride highway to and from work daily, so I don't mind it. When I want to go out and ride I find back roads like farmland and open areas to enjoy.

·
Registered
659 Posts
by myself I prefer the smaller roads - although they come complete with their own set of challenges.
The main highways I feel most comfortable on when riding in groups - others keep their distance from you when they don't know exactly what to expect, plus I think the noise is a bit intimidating as well.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Most of the times when I go riding, I ride the back roads through the countryside. Every now and then I hit a 4 lane highway, it's ok-it's not a very busy highway so it really doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I took a defensive driving course years back and I believe it was worth it. I feel "safe" all the time but I am always looking out for "the other guy".

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
Don't matter. Prefer single lane roads for obvious "scenic" or otherwise reasons, but when I "must positively, absolutely" get there in a hurry, superslab is the way to go!

Had a bail of hay come off the back of an oncoming farm truck truck on a byway once.......Dodged it by the grace of the Big Guy..........
Hey......someone start a thread. "Most dangerous ride"

·
Registered
688 Posts
Love the backroads myself, scenery mostly. Gotta watch out for Bambi though, she'll jump out just to "wreck" your day. Don't much like semis on my butt much. They take the fun out of the ride so freeway stuff is only by necessity.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I prefer not to drive on the interstate because my speedo dosen't work there. When it says 70 every one is passing me like I'm sitting still. Being in NC, I'm not sure where the hell my tax money goes, but it sure doesn't go towards the interstates (nor any other road for that matter). There are cracks and pothole so large that they find cars and small animals stuck in them.

Two lanes are the way for me. It is very challenging doging the potholes, bambi, alligators (retread tires that have seperated), stupid drivers, trash, cigarette butts flying out windows, and possums.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I "feel" safer on the two lane back roads but statisticly speaking the interstates are safer. Only about 2% of all fatalities occur on interstate highways according to NHTSA. Now having said that unless I have to be somewhere in a hurry I prefer back roads for all the obvious reasons...more curves and much more scenic. Plus I was born and raised on back roads. Where I lived the nearest interstate was 200 miles to the north or or about 70 miles to the south though if you went south there was a two hour ferry ride until the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel opened and then there was a hefty toll.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Statistically you are safer on an interstate. I feel safe everywhere as I feel I drive very defensively (and offensively when necesary). I enjoy the old two lane roads (road trips USA) for the sights and smells if I have the time. I would love to take US2 or US20 from Mass to sturgis one of these years.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I rented a Softail Classic in LA last fall and had to ride the Interstates just to get outta there and anywhere. I loved the bike but hated those high speed highways. I can easily handle driving with those crazies in a car on any I-state out there but not on a bike. Too many clueless drivers swerving and weaving driving in their own little bubble.

Anyway... once I got up to Malibu and out in the canyons, it was absolute heaven. That made the entire experience well worth it (including the shear terror of getting out of downtown LA).

:cool: :D :cool:

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Interstates are fine unless you're in Missouri. Crappy I-70 has holes as big as some bikes in it. It's fine when you hit Kansas and points west.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I enjoy both,they both have unique characteristics as many have stated.If I want to make good time the interstate gets me from point A to B faster,& I think,safer.Defensive riding habits are the key.Expect the unexpected,increase your distance from vehicles ahead of you etc.
I find 18 wheelers to be the most respecting of two wheels on the road.Keeping your bike up to par mechanically is important on the interstate as well.

A Sunday in July is another matter,there's nothing like two lane mountain roads in Maine or New Hampshire......

1 - 20 of 48 Posts