V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To the guy at the restaurant slinging me a "hang loose" and calling me "brother":

1. Just because you can tell me a story about your cousin who once rode a harley through some snow in 1983 does not make me your brother. that's not really how it works.

2. If you want to be my brother, go park your 2012 Chevy Transformer-lookin' monster with the 30-kDb stereo, heated seats, and it's own gravitational field complete with life-supporting atmosphere in your driveway, and come back with your bike, a change of clothes and a few tools. I don't care if it's a Vespa. Ride. I'm leaving Wednesday. Be ready. We'll ride up to Lillooet and see if we can freak out some citizens up there, eh?

3. The Harley sticker in your back window doesn't mean much if you don't own anything that sits less than 48 inches from the ground or weighs less than my home-town's public library, including books. When was the last time your nostrils were filled with the smell of the fresh-cut hay lying on the rolling hills as far as you could see?

You didn't realize they still "cut" hay, did you?

4. I didn't ride here in the snow because "it's cool". I rode here because I needed to get here, and that's what I had. The sense of adventure I've made it into is what I do to make sense of my own stupidity or difficult set of circumstances. I only celebrate being an idiot because I can't be anything else. Please don't encourage me.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Yeah but

:dh:
What weight oil do you use during the winter?

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Ah, get over it.

I swear, another thread where someone tells us what a real biker they are.

Gonna go get in my car and get some coffee, then come back and watch the train wreck!:coffee:

I have some time to kill before heading to work! lolololol

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I've been told (don't remember by who) that real bikers don't have bikes with windshields, no matter what the temperature.

Just saying.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I've been told (don't remember by who) that real bikers don't have bikes with windshields, no matter what the temperature.

Just saying.
That's a good direction to take this thread, the "absolutes" that some have for membership in their "brotherhood".

·
Registered
8,786 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
To the guy at the restaurant slinging me a "hang loose" and calling me "brother":

1. Just because you can tell me a story about your cousin who once rode a harley through some snow in 1983 does not make me your brother. that's not really how it works.

2. If you want to be my brother, go park your 2012 Chevy Transformer-lookin' monster with the 30-kDb stereo, heated seats, and it's own gravitational field complete with life-supporting atmosphere in your driveway, and come back with your bike, a change of clothes and a few tools. I don't care if it's a Vespa. Ride. I'm leaving Wednesday. Be ready. We'll ride up to Lillooet and see if we can freak out some citizens up there, eh?

3. The Harley sticker in your back window doesn't mean much if you don't own anything that sits less than 48 inches from the ground or weighs less than my home-town's public library, including books. When was the last time your nostrils were filled with the smell of the fresh-cut hay lying on the rolling hills as far as you could see?

You didn't realize they still "cut" hay, did you?

4. I didn't ride here in the snow because "it's cool". I rode here because I needed to get here, and that's what I had. The sense of adventure I've made it into is what I do to make sense of my own stupidity or difficult set of circumstances. I only celebrate being an idiot because I can't be anything else. Please don't encourage me.

He's so manly. Lmao :redrolf:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i don't celebrate being an idiot, i just realize it's a bit late for me to change.
nice photo.

Exactly, that's my point. I don't care if you ride your vespa 2 miles to and from your local drive-through coffee shop job every day, or sail across the interstate shipping lanes on a Suzuki 3600cc schooner with tassles and whirlygigs, at least you know what being on a bike is. I'm just saying don't try to bump fists with me based on a story about your cousin and Banff two decades ago.

Then again, maybe that crazy cousin and he had some wild times together, and he misses the ol' coot who got himself planted in '84 due to a stupidity-induced self-inflicted wound. Maybe I should rethink this...

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Now i get it....kind of.

Personally, I'd rather have someone feeling a certain connectedness with riding though the experiences of someone they know instead of someone who is negative to all riders just because they know nothing about motorcycling.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Everybody that knows me calls me Brother, except for people at work call me Phil. My sister gave me that nick name back when I was setting on a trike and diaper.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now i get it....kind of.

Personally, I'd rather have someone feeling a certain connectedness with riding though the experiences of someone they know instead of someone who is negative to all riders just because they know nothing about motorcycling.
Mine is a very special kind of idiocy, in that I generally know just exactly how dumb my next move is before I make it, and yet...I just seem to make it anyway. What I don't want is someone who really has no clue egging me on, that's the last thing I need. If what I'm about to do is going to bring me up missing some teeth, At least have the decency to smile at me with a couple gaps of your own...

Or, put another way, perhaps my response to him should have been, "Dude...don't try this at home. This feat was performed by a professionally trained idiot with reckless abandon for life and limb out of necessity that probably could have been avoided had he not been an idiot and ensured that his 4-wheeled conveyance was working properly back in October."

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
Seems to me this guy probably thought you were an interesting guy to talk to and in his own awkward way was just trying to start a conversation and be friendly. I know if I were in my car and saw you on your bike in that snow, I would probably come up to say hello.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
On a serious note groesner, I see you are from Oregon. Looks like your bike is parked at a log landing. First off, did you have to ride up a logging road? Second, I have found that forward traction is actually not all that bad. But turning, specifically getting the bike leaned over on the radius of the tire causes almost immediate slide out, if the temp is above 25 or so on snow pack. So, secondly, do you have any tricks for turning or do you just take it real slow and steer the bike? Also, what do you think about some sort of wire mesh "chains" for the tires? Been thinking about that idea for a while. Sort of an easy on, easy off deal for when it is up near freezing and real slippery.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
A
Gonna go get in my car and get some coffee, then come back l
I make coffee at home, and then take it with me in a thermos.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On a serious note groesner, I see you are from Oregon. Looks like your bike is parked at a log landing. First off, did you have to ride up a logging road? Second, I have found that forward traction is actually not all that bad. But turning, specifically getting the bike leaned over on the radius of the tire causes almost immediate slide out, if the temp is above 25 or so on snow pack. So, secondly, do you have any tricks for turning or do you just take it real slow and steer the bike? Also, what do you think about some sort of wire mesh "chains" for the tires? Been thinking about that idea for a while. Sort of an easy on, easy off deal for when it is up near freezing and real slippery.
Well, it's parked in sawmill log-yard, which is in fact my reason for being here (in eastern BC, Canada). No logging roads, but the mill yard - I wasn't so sure but what their welcome parade included a zamboni. The trick to turning on this stuff IS to go real slow, no leaning, to stay loose in the shoulders so you can get your handlebars around, which is way different than what I do at highway speed. As for wire mesh chains, my first thought when you mentioned it is the little bags that avocados come in - sounds interesting, but I don't know how you'd put them on the back, or design them to survive the lateral force.

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts

With all due respect, when I read the title prior to clickin on it I was curious. After reading what followed my first impression was...
this is not about the other dude who was hangin five in the monster truck who through your actions relived a fond memory.

This is more about a guy who is literally living/riding life by the seat of his pants. Is that not what you truley always wanted to do.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts