V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a semi experienced rider, my first bike was a kawaski GS700, I now own a little suzuki dual sport dirt bike. Okay I know, that is a far cry from a Harley but I am getting to that. I got the dirt bike because it was what I could afford at the time. I have wanted a Harley as long as I can remember and now I think I could probably talk the wife into letting me get one. So what is a good starter Harley? Right now I am looking at a Sporster 883 Custom, seems like a good place to start, what do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Welcome, AgentZ!

As for your first Harley, how much of a factor is price? What kind of riding will you be doing? Touring? Day trips? Bar hopping? Passengers? When you answer those questions, you may have the answer to whether a 883 will be a good choice. Several members "move up" from the Sportster line after a year or so. Other members are long time Sportster owners and are very happy. It's really determined by what will make you happy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Price isn't a factor if I don't mind waiting. BUT, I don't know how much longer I could contain myself. As for type of riding, Mostly rural backroads, short trips to start expanding the distance as time goes on. Mostly just looking for a good cruise, I don't want to break any speed records or anything. I have noticed a lot of used sportsters for sale is this just because people are upgrading or is there some underlying problems with the bike?

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
There is nothing wrong with Sportsters at all. My first H-D was a Sporster 1200. After about 6 months, I wished I had bought a bigger bike instead, like a Dyna. After 7 years though, I finally sold the Sportster and bought a Electra Glide Standard.

If I had to do it over again, I would have bought a Dyna. But one day, I would like to buy a used Sportster to play around with, it was a pretty fun bike, but pretty uncomfortable for the big long 9-12 hour rides.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Welcome AgentZ,
Enjoy the forums, as you've already experienced, there's a flood of info and tips here....and a lot of good natured fun......enjoy!

·
Registered
675 Posts
AgentZ said:
Price isn't a factor if I don't mind waiting. BUT, I don't know how much longer I could contain myself. As for type of riding, Mostly rural backroads, short trips to start expanding the distance as time goes on. Mostly just looking for a good cruise, I don't want to break any speed records or anything. I have noticed a lot of used sportsters for sale is this just because people are upgrading or is there some underlying problems with the bike?

You should be able to have this bike brand new for less than $14k out the door at some of the nothern dealers. I never considered a Sportster due to my size but everyone I know that has had one ends up taking a loss on it to get a bigger bike or gripes about not being able to get a bigger one.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
AgentZ said:
Many owners decide a Big Twin is for them.

The Sportster is a good way to get started. You become part of the family. However, if you plan on heavy riding, I'd recommend that you got with a Big Twin from the start. If you go out of state, you'll be able to get a Big Twin at or near msrp. Take your time. Save some bucks. With those bucks, you can pay the "Harley tax". Hang around. You'll find out what that is!:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everybody for your advice, I think that the softtail standard is just to good to pass on, looks like I am waiting a while longer. I will just have to sit around and drool all over the HD websites for now. Bummer, but I am sure the wait will be well worth it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Harley motorcycles keep their value and the dealer buys them back. Try out different motorcycles and see how it fits. The 883 Sportster fits just fine for my size.
:)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Welcome aboard,AgentZ !

Glad you joined us,great folks here. I think waiting a lttle while is a smart move,though there's nuttin' wrong with the Sporster.Harley ownership is a highly personal thing,a model that works fine for one person might not fit the bill for another.

Good luck with your decision,post often & enjoy the forum!
guido

·
Registered
779 Posts
Welcome AgentZ, I'm new here and afraid I've developed a slight "forum addiction"... I can quit anytime I want to, really I can... Good folks here w/ good advise.

As far as which bike to buy, I was in the same predictament about a year ago. Knew I wanted a Harley, but didn't want to drop my hard earnerd cash and find out I bought the "wrong" model a month later.

What I did was to go to the local dealer in Las Vegas and rent a different model about once a month. Rode a Fatboy, Ultra Classic, Electra Glide Standard, Road Glide, Springer Softail and finaly settled on a Road Glide.

$100 for a rental for 24 hours bought be peace of mind that I got what I wanted. Started watching ebay, Cycle Trader as well as the local paper for a used TC88 Road Glide and finally found a 1999 in Seattle. Made the deal and bought it sight unseem after many phone calls and emails.

Think I got a good deal and the HD I wanted.

Also, I got to ride the rentals for over a year and had a bunch of fun until I found my bike...

Good Luck and let me know what you settle on!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
WELCOMEE TO THE SITE. AS YOU CAN SEE THERE IS A VAST WEALTH OF INFO HERE. I RODE A SPORTY FO 6 YEARS AND LOVED IT. THEY ARE QUIICK AGILE AND ALL AROUND FUN TO RIDE. I HAVE ALSO OWNED A SOFTAIL WHICH WAS ALSO A GREAT RIDE, BUT LIVING IN MINN JUST LIKE OREGON WHERE THE WEATHER CHANGES ABOUT EVERY 5 MIN I NOW PARK MY ASS ON A BAGGER SO I CAN CARRY NECESSARY GEAR. SOMETHING TO CONSIDER FOR WHEN YOU GET CAUGHT AWAY FROM HOME. THERE ARE ALSO A LOT OF NICE USED BIG TWINS OUT THERE, JUST TAKE THE TIME TO LOOK THEM ALL OVER.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts