V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find vintage two-tone paint schemes? I am going to have custom paint done on a heritage classic. I am thinking of using a two-tone paint and adding white walls to the heritage.
Does anyone know details about the tank pictured in the P&A book on page 738? Paint codes, year decal, or color of pinstripes?
Is there a good place on the net to check out two-tone paints on the heritage models? All I can find are flames, etc. If anyone has a link to a good site post it.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
The tank pictured on pg 738 is a 1986 1/2 heritage softail. The paint is unique to that year/model and is absolutely stunning.

I have one in the garage with original paint and very clean. It is a beautiful motorcycle.

I have some pictures around here somewhere if you want to see. Email would be easier since I dont have them on the web. And, I dont think the cheapo membership allows me to post pics.

ALSO, IT IS FOR SALE.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Well, it ain't free, but the book "100 years if Harley-Davidson" is a great reference for paint schemes, designs etc.

I repainted an 89 bagger with a paint scheme used in the 60's, from pictures in the book above.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I thought this paint scheme was kinda vintage looking. Just need to add some white walls now.

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Have you thought about getting a take-off set of Deluxe tins? Search for Deluxe Harley Paint Set on Ebay. They had a couple recently that were going for just a few hundred dollars. Not too authentic but two-tone and almost vintage looking. You'd have throw on a tombstone tail light and some outbound turn signals but that can be a cool look too.

Sorry moderators, this is an Ebay link, but it's here just as an example, nobody here is selling anything in this that I know of.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
HD-LUX said:
Have you thought about getting a take-off set of Deluxe tins? Search for Deluxe Harley Paint Set on Ebay. They had a couple recently that were going for just a few hundred dollars. Not too authentic but two-tone and almost vintage looking. You'd have throw on a tombstone tail light and some outbound turn signals but that can be a cool look too.

Sorry moderators, this is an Ebay link, but it's here just as an example, nobody here is selling anything in this that I know of.
I agree with LUX... I picked up a set dirt cheap awile back. A lot cheaper than a new paint job....

If you find a bike that has the paint job you want on it... get the year model and take it to the HD shop. They can look in the parts catalog and find the decals and colors you need. Also you can make a copy of the page with the stencil (if it has one) and use it to have a stencil made (i.e. stock HD flames and such) I was going to have my '04 repainted to match a '01 paint scheme I really liked. Got the correct decal set from the parts book and was going to scan the page with the stencil and produce the right and left stencils in Adobe Illustrator and give them to the painter to use as templates for the '01 flame set.

Then I bought the custom HD set off eBay and saved a lot of cash.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
volfan, yes this is what I am thinking of.

hd-lux, I wish that I had posted in the main forum sooner about paint schemes. I just bought a set of heritage tins off ebay to get painted. I should have looked for some deluxe take offs. Would have save time and money.

So, now I am searching for a good painter in NC or SC. Jody at gunpointgraphics.com seems reasonable on prices, I just have not found anyone that has used him.

I plan on using the red and pearl white, but adding red tint to the pearl white. Like the factory white tins have that blue added to the white paint.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
to Admin and others> im sorry about the picture size, but I didnt know how to cut it down. Feel free to delete or change it to a link.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts