V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got new tires for my Ultra from Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse... 2 rear and a front. I checked the depth on the new Dunlops 10/32 on rear and 6/32 on front. My question is how far can you run the tires....that is in 32ths and still be safe. Thanks

·
?????
3,531 Posts
I can't help you with tread depth, but I can tell you that your asss will know. Some folk get more out of their tires than others, it all depends on riding style and weight of the rider and passenger. My 05 EG Classic's back end started getting loose on corners around 8,500 miles, 1st I thought it was my imagination because my tread depth gage was still reading in the green. When I got my 06 Ultra I knew it wasn't my imagination, fresh rubber made all the difference in the world.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Min Tread left should be at least 2/32. The tires have wear indicators in the center tread line. When you hit them, they were done 500 mile ago.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Most states list 2/32 as the minimum before you get a "fix it ticket". Bear is right, 2/32 and they were done 500 miles ago. At this tread depth, they won't hold the road worth a darn in the wet. I personally change mine out around 10,000 miles for the rear and around 20,000 for the front. This is the stock Dunlops.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geezer-Glide said:
Most states list 2/32 as the minimum before you get a "fix it ticket". Bear is right, 2/32 and they were done 500 miles ago. At this tread depth, they won't hold the road worth a darn in the wet. I personally change mine out around 10,000 miles for the rear and around 20,000 for the front. This is the stock Dunlops.
Boy I wish I could get 10k out of my rear tire. Riding with the wife and don't ride too hard but 8,500 is tops for me. Rode 20k last year and both of the other tires got about the same. By the way they are on a 2001 Ultra Police Special. with 1550 kit.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
My experience says maximum 8,000/8,500 miles for the rear tire and double for the front tire (Road King Classic with Dunlop D402 tires). But, anyway, if you do not ride to much, you should change your tires latest by the end of the "second" riding season, i.e. before the beginning of the "third" riding season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts