V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
approaching 50,000mi on original lifters [98 dyna] run se-4 cam and se heads which have a stiffer spring pack. after hearing stories of scrambled oil pumps and lifter blocks because of lifter failure i am debating whether to change them out as preventive maintenance. are there any signs of them going bad so you can catch it in time or does a roller let loose and that's all she wrote? any/all replies appreciated.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Normally if there is any movement in the roller (up and down) you replace the lifter or if there is excessive play in the lifter bore.

V-Thunder used to make prescision lifters and tappet blocks for the Evo.......Iam assuming they still do this for the TC Motor.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Some go 40,000 and some go 80,000 some probably go even more. For piece of mind, if the bike comes apart for any reason after after about 40-50,000, i'd change them. But you can inspect them and if good put them back in. As Ozzie says, NO up and down movement in the roller is acceptable.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Like mentioned above. I'll go further, if the cam chest is opened at any time after 30K, it gets all new lifters as well as inner and outer cam bearings.
As inexpensive as the parts are (and considering the cost of a potential failure) it is cheap insurance.

In fact this is the only downside of the gear drive. As it eliminates the need to go into the cam chest for periodic maintenance there abviously will be a reluctance to open it up for preventive maintenance purposes as this defeats part of the original intent.

While in the great majority of cases these parts should last the life of the engine, there no doubt will be a small number of expensive failures.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Had one fail at 35k. Luck no damge to oil pump. I change them out every 25k now on my EVO.
Freinds inner cam bearing went at 40k, so I change it out as well.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
You will know when the lifters start to go bad before they fail. If you open it up change em, if it runs good and it's not clacking like a set of castnets ride on. I changed mine at 90k and they did not need it. They were still good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts