V-Twin Forum banner

When I was really young..

818 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  8-Ball 
#1 ·
When I was really young I purchased my first Harley, a 75 Sporty. After a few years I decided to move from Jersey to San Diego. I thought to myself, is this the bike I want to ride 3000 miles? Nah… So I sold the Sporty and picked up a Gold Wing. Nice bike but no character and too quiet. Never had so avoid many cars before.
Turns out the scum bag I sold it to screwed up the trans and took me to court. That took 8 months of constant postponements, but I met my wife (first!), had a beautiful daughter and stayed in Jersey.
I sold the Gold Wing so I can buy furniture a fridge.. then all of a sudden I was 50! I found a really nice Road Star which served me well over the years, but last week I saw a Black Pearl 2005 RK Custom left-over and fell in love.
I’m picking it up this Monday Nov 25th and I can’t wait. It looks like you have a great forum on V-Twin. I will be needing your advice.
It’s great to be back on a Harley!!
Jim

#3 ·
Welcome to the coolest forum on the face of this motorcycle loving planet.

You picked a fine time to purchase a bike (winter) You will have plenty of time to "bait" over it in the garage.

Get your ski clothes on and I'll meet you in the city for some beers......................weeeeeeee

#5 ·
jimmyc said:
When I was really young I purchased my first Harley, a 75 Sporty. After a few years I decided to move from Jersey to San Diego. I thought to myself, is this the bike I want to ride 3000 miles? Nah… So I sold the Sporty and picked up a Gold Wing. Nice bike but no character and too quiet. Never had so avoid many cars before.
Turns out the scum bag I sold it to screwed up the trans and took me to court. That took 8 months of constant postponements, but I met my wife (first!), had a beautiful daughter and stayed in Jersey.
I sold the Gold Wing so I can buy furniture a fridge.. then all of a sudden I was 50! I found a really nice Road Star which served me well over the years, but last week I saw a Black Pearl 2005 RK Custom left-over and fell in love.
I’m picking it up this Monday Nov 25th and I can’t wait. It looks like you have a great forum on V-Twin. I will be needing your advice.
It’s great to be back on a Harley!!
Jim

many happy miles ahead...you will love riding the king...

#9 ·
:welcome: to the forum. Congrats on the new scooter!! Post up often and enjoy!

#10 ·
Thanks guys. I'm finally done riding and shining my beast for now.
I'm amazed by one thing. The dry weight of my Road Star was about 700 lbs. The RKC is 728 lbs. So I expected it to be even more difficult to ride then the Road Star.
Yet it felt lighter and handled much better. Don't get me wrong, the Road Star was a very good to me, but handled like a tank.
My RKC was a welcome surprise..

OK. back to shining the chrome!! :chopper:

#11 ·
Hey Jim! Welcome to the forum. As you can see, there are plenty of folks here that love this strange hobby of ours. There is lot's of sage advice to be had here, even at our age!

Have fun with that new bike! Ride safe!

Ray

2005 FLSTSCI Softail Springer Classic

To see some pix of my ride, click on the link below.

http://beta.propichosting.com/Album.aspx?folder=450007794

#12 ·
Thanks Ray,

Your ride is gorgeous dude.. I was torn between a Springer Classic (same colors as yours) and the RKC.. I figured I couldn't go wrong with either.
Can't wait to get out of the break-in period. Of course it's cold as hell here in Jersey.
But just give me 40 degreees , a dry road and sun, and I'll get there in no time! :chopper:

#13 ·
P 0 P E Y E said:
Jimmy must have got his bike. He is off riding it. Now it's in the garage and he's shining it.

Now Jimmy's setting up the cot next to the bike so he can sleep next to it.

Been there done that.........Dig the bike
No, no, no, POPEYE... that was me.

Hey Jimmy, great taste in rides!!

Welcome to the forum and looking forward to hearing more from you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.