V-Twin Forum banner

wheir do I start?

913 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  freebird21 
#1 ·
I just purchased my first bike its a 84 sportster with only 6000 miles on brother in law bought it new and really took care of it .Couple of extra pieces of chrome otherwise the bike is stock.Bike never leaked a drop,until I bought it .I realize how older bikes like to mark their spot but some people do not appreciate oil spots on their new concrete driveway.I do know it is oil leaking on mt bike I just cant seem to see wheir its coming from leaks a spot as big as aquarter any place Ipark after a ride.OIl does drip off the tranny drain plug but wheir its coming from I cant tell. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#6 ·
Could also be an overflow tube routed down through the frame. Is it on the ground only or somewhere on the engine case, swingarm, filter area?...etc Find where it is coming from before replacing things. Gaskets could very well be the problem, but it's best to be sure first.

try this for some answers. Wish you luck.

#7 ·
Just came in from the garage AGAIN,oil seems to be coming from behind the gear case all major gasket seem to be dry and wouldnt you know it I cant get it to leak a drop when its at idle in the garage,it only seems to leak after a ride. I dont mean to sound like a idiot but most of the guys on this site seem to really know their stuff,just looking for some ideas before problem gets any worse.Really glad I stumbled across this site ,their is some great info. here for a rookie rider like myself

#8 ·
Thanks for the tips 84 ironhead,Ido have a manual so that will help a lot.If it does come down to changing any major gaskets, well thats what cold Wisconsin winters are for,for this summer this old dog will just have to leave its mark.The wife should get over it by december.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.