V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a set of rims to replace the stock rims on my '03 Fatboy. The main reason for changing them is because the solid wheels make riding the bike on the highway hell...

I really like the solid wheels and was thinking of ordering the Slotted chrome wheels, it gives me the look of solid but should allow airflow through the wheels. Before I order them I was wondering if anyone here has used them and if the slots on the wheels make that much of a difference or am I better off buying the Thunderstar wheels.

I drove my friends 2001 Dyna with spokes and it was a pleasure to drive, no wind buffeting across traffic and it was very easy to maintain a straight line.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm interested in these wheels also, and have not found any good evidence to answer your questions.
Most of the riders I've spoke to are happy with these, but they also put good tires on at the same time. So I'm not sure if the better rubber or the wheel had improved handling. Some riders mentioned they did not have a problem with cross winds before or after. So who knows for sure!
They certainly look good.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I wouldn't get them purely for the handling issue....they won't let enough air in to make a difference. Do you have the bike yet or are you just spooked over something you heard? I think the "solid wheels handling problem" is 95% myth. They are a little more sensitive to wind but compare it to the situation of a bagger with a brake disc cover, huge touring fender and maybe 1" of spokes showing...nobody claims they are a handful?????????????????

I have a 2002 Fat Boy and have no problem. Bikes have fairings, saddlebags, fat or skinny wives on the back, tour packs, solid wheels, spokes, cast wheels, lower wind deflectors, windshields and on and on.......are solid wheels really that big a deal in comparison. If there was an issue would harley have put them on the V-Rod?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I agree about the wind thing not being that big of a deal on fatboys. At least I havn't noticed a big difference between my fatboy, and other harleys that I've ridden.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
logical said:
I wouldn't get them purely for the handling issue....they won't let enough air in to make a difference. Do you have the bike yet or are you just spooked over something you heard? I think the "solid wheels handling problem" is 95% myth. ?
I've had the bike for about a month... It's the only bike I had ever rode until I took my friends FXD for a ride. At highway speeds it seemed a lot easier to handle and keep straight compared to the Fatboy.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Dyna is a completely different bike from a FatBoy (softail)

The solid wheel problem is 100% myth or 100% mental,depends on how you want to look at it

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Fatty Rims

Hello All,
I'm a newbie to this site. Looks cool.
If you ride in cross winds, you will feel like your floaten a little with the solid rims. But I have ridden in 55 60 mph winds with no prob. 1 of my buds could not seem to get used to it (tried to correct every movement) and had to change to spokes to enjoy his ride. Jetten by a big truck wit a flat nose causes the same effect.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I think that solid wheels will add at the most 15%, I estimate 10% ( less on loaded dressers) to the total cross sectional area. More important is the center of gravity and vertical polar moment of inertia. I have never noticed any more problem on my Fatboy or VROD than on other motorcycles. The faster that you go will also reduce any directional instability, so haul ass if it is real windy. Also, tighten the steering head bearings to the maximum fall away measurement.

JMS

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only time I really notice it is at highway speeds. I went ahead and ordered the wheels, mainly because I like the looks. As an added benefit maybe they'll help at high speeds.

As soon as I get them installed I'll report on the results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Solid wheels

I had polished Fatboy wheels on my 2001 and replaced them with custom cut bomb wheels from Rowe Machine in Wallingford, CT. I have noticed a substantial difference from my Fatboy disks. The stock disks acted like sails in the wind on the highway, pushing the bike all over. The bomb cuts allow enough air to go through so that I haven't noticed the wind being much of a problem. If you do a lot of highway riding, turf the solid disks. I don't know if the slotted HD Fatboy wheels allow enough air to go through. You can get Rowe to cut you one of a kind wheels for less than stock Performance Machine wheels and the quality is awesome. Their website is - http://www.roweperformance.com/sitemap.html. Good luck and leave the sailing to boats.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree! After a couple rides home on a road that has notorious crosswinds, I bought Thunderstars. I love the look and I feel much more comfortable and confident in high crosswinds. I never felt anything with the originals when passing trucks or on the highway, but crosswinds made me feel distinctly unsafe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well... I wimped out of the wheels I wanted to buy. Instead I went with these:

These should solve the problem.:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thunderstar Pulley

RW1 - Looks like the Thunderstar wheels to me. I have a Thunderstar pulley with 25oo miles on it that I replaced with a custom cut bomb pulley. If you're interested. let me know - give you a smoking deal. Oddeath

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Interesting discussion. Don't have experience with a lot of other bikes but I don't feel like my bike gets pushed around at 70 on the highway. Girl in town sent her rims out, had em ground down and chromed; I coulda died when I saw it, it looks so sharp! I'm considering doing the same!

·
Registered
306 Posts
RW1 said:
I'm looking for a set of rims to replace the stock rims on my '03 Fatboy. The main reason for changing them is because the solid wheels make riding the bike on the highway hell...

I really like the solid wheels and was thinking of ordering the Slotted chrome wheels, it gives me the look of solid but should allow airflow through the wheels. Before I order them I was wondering if anyone here has used them and if the slots on the wheels make that much of a difference or am I better off buying the Thunderstar wheels.

I drove my friends 2001 Dyna with spokes and it was a pleasure to drive, no wind buffeting across traffic and it was very easy to maintain a straight line.

I have these wheels on my Fatboy and I can't imagine they are any better then stock, but on the highway the wind never seems to bother me, I guess I just assume that if I'm getting blown around its because of a strong wind not my wheels.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts