V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you pick up the front end? It's not that the power isn't there, but it seems to me the wheel base and low center of gravity makes this bike nearly impossible to wheelie on. Anyone do it?

·
Registered
413 Posts
The wheelbase would make it pretty damn tough. However, if you bounced the front end enough, I bet it could be done. I used to be able to pull the front wheels of my GTO off the ground by bouncing it a few times and then stabbing the throttle, and that was only a 14 second car (oh to be dumb and in high school again:D )

·
Banned
490 Posts
Wheelies...

It is possible to pop a wheelie on just about every powered motorcycle imaginable.. it does take a little "bounce and tug" in conjunction with a timely twist of the throttle... for most people the best time to do it is shifting from first to second, although I cannot emphasize enough that wheelies are not a good idea for the faint of heart or the unskilled. In addition to the obvious risk of losing control and crashing, I have heard of guys cooking their engines through oil starvation with the front end held up in the air too long.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Drew is right. Pretty much every bike can pull the wheel. It's just a matter of rpm's and clutch.

A friend of mine just shucked a drive belt trying to do a wheelie on his Ultra. :eek: . I've seen him pull the wheel on a Fatboy too.

So dont despair boys, your V-Rod can get the front wheel in the air. LoL. Try running your bike up to about 5000 rpm, pull in clutch, rev the **** out of it say to almost redline, then let the clutch out and see what happens. Do this quickly also. Ahem, and I wont be responsible for whatever does happen. :D

P.S. Dont forget to wear your Depends that day. Oh, and your helmet and gear too.

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried it a bit this weekend, it's very hairy, to me anyway. By the time I get my weight back far enough and my feet on the rear pegs the reach to the handlebars feels like it's a mile away. I was riding around with a guy on R1 who was picking the wheel up under it's own power at will. This bike will never do that, and I can't afford to play daredevil on the backpegs.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yeah, it's not gonna do much of a throttle wheelie. I know compression wheelie is possible though. We were riding down around Altamont this past weekend and when we pulled on to the highway from a side road I got on it pretty hard. I was in second gear I think and was just slammin the throttle on and off, screwin around with a buddy on his e-glide. Anyway, on one bounce I rolled it steadily all the way open. You know how you get that surge at high rpm that always raises the front end, well I heard shocks bottom out, and when i got off of it a second or so later the front tire chirped.

It probably wasnt off the ground more than a couple inches cause I couldnt tell it. I think if you get the right rpm range and right gear, then get it on a bounce, you might get it up in the air.

Clutch wheelies can be done on just about any bike, but if you do them a lot on a Harley your gonna tear the **** out of your bike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I unintentionally wheelied mine during a sudden lane change. I downshifted from 4th to 2nd and gave the throttle a whack to blend into the faster traffic. I posted here about it a while back.

I haven't done it since.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts