V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there know if model year 2000 wheels will fit the 1999 Dynas with only correct bearing replacement? I am under the impression the only changes that might effect fitment are the use of sealed bearings and possibly larger 1" axles. Was the change to 1" axles only on the touring bike line or on all big twins?

Mike

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
supersport said:
Anyone out there know if model year 2000 wheels will fit the 1999 Dynas with only correct bearing replacement? I am under the impression the only changes that might effect fitment are the use of sealed bearings and possibly larger 1" axles. Was the change to 1" axles only on the touring bike line or on all big twins?

Mike
SS, when I converted my 2000 Dyna forks to a mid glide, the kit that I used was for 92-99. It came with the same diameter axel only longer. The only problem that I ran into is the fact that the kit only came with one disk spacer. The extra disk spacer that I ordered had a machined lip a little bit smaller in diameter that would not fit my cast wheels. I had to have it machined to match the other one.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Fifth Gear,

Sorry I took so long to reply. I've been peeping the mags on eBay and reading the myriad of posts here on the forum and never got back to you. My FXDX has the laced wheels, they are of questionable quality what with the cadmium plated spokes and cheesy chrome rims. Plus they're a pain in the arse to clean. I think the mags would be lower maintenance and look slick with the black center floating rotors. This package would tie in nicely with the overall blacked out theme of the bike. I may snipe them at the last minute if they dont get bid through the roof.

By the way, that Glide of yours looks pretty good! Nice touch with the hash burner er um cigareet lighter. I'm kinda partial to Zippos myself!

Ride safe and remember; Only you can prevent forest fires! (As a kid, I always thought that was a pretty heavy gig fer ol' Smokey Bear to be laying on me). Sorry 'bout that, it's past my bedtime.

Mike

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
I know what you mean about the zippos. I have a little collection of them. I bid on one or two every once in a while on Ebay when I find a unique one. I am still carrying the same old beat up zippo that I've had for years though. It's just hard to get a light from it on the road unless I'm stopped. That's why I like the pouch on my tank panel....smokes within easy reach and lighter at a push of a button. Hey, you think I need an ashtray or just a roach clip with a string tied on it? LOL

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unabashedly inappropriate...

Yo Fifth Gear,

Your reply is pulling at the heartstrings of my misspent youth. Okay my second and third childhoods to boot. Since I've had my CDL A, I can no longer partake of the evil devil weed. Something to do with the inability to pee straight once the Canabis Sativa invades the system.

Never tested positive, never intend to but I sure do miss it sometimes. Okay, all the time! One more reason to look forward to retirement. Only 15 short years away (LOL). Don't want to wish my life away but working for a living sucks. Not nearly enough time to play with all the toys.

Maybe once I get the garage up and the paint shop rolling, I could blow that popstand and do what I like. Nah, it'll never fly around here in this depressed area. I can dream! The bastards can't take that away from me!

Later, Mike

P. S.

'Round here we always referred to a roach clip as a Romeo Chuck, (capitalization of a proper name is appropriate)!

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Yeah supersport, I know what you mean. We are drug tested here too. I was thinking back to the days long long ago when I read your reply. When I think back of all the people that I knew that smoked pot, I can't say that I ever saw anyone smoking without inhaling. Maybe Clinton hung with a weird crowd. I wonder if Monica......never mind. LOL

How did we venture so far off topic?......Well, it don't matter, it's your thread anyway

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fifth Gear,

I concur this thread has veered off on a tangent of an inexplicable nature. Somewhat resembling one of my normal(?)conversations. In any case, it would most likely be a good idea to strike it from the forum just to tidy things up a bit. I don't know! It's not my area!

Later

Mike

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Oh, I can live with it it you can. But back on subject, have you heard that for the new sealed bearing wheels on the 2000 that the only difference is the spacers being different?

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Wheel bearing upgrade...

Fifth Gear,

No sir, I wasn't aware of the spacer being the only difference between the two. I don't recall any longevity problems existing with the old style bearings but a sealed bearing in this application is a definite improvement from a service and low maintenance point of view.

I wound up loosing the 13 spoke late model mags due to the auction ending while my other half and I were having a career change discussion. Priorities ya know! Another unmatched set, 9 spoke rear 13 spoke front, I've been watching have been bid through the roof.

I may just inquire at the dealership about a set of take offs. A black center solid disc rear and a 13 spoke front with the black powder coated floating rotors would probably go well with the drag bike theme that is going on with my FXDX. Though I'm not quite sure about the asthetics of unmatched wheels. What's your slant on this?

Mike

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Re: Re: Wheel bearing upgrade...

supersport said:
Fifth Gear,

I'm not quite sure about the asthetics of unmatched wheels. What's your slant on this?

Mike
I think that a solid rear wheel will look good with about any front style.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts