V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna be brave tomorrow and take the back wheel out (first time doin it)
to change a tyre.
Am I right in thinking that the Wheel Bearings are sealed and shouldn't need any attention?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
FLHRCI sealed. Change the tire and the tube, balance and ride away.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the reply Jimmy!
I'm just downloading it to a file now....Heehee..:D

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
DON'T DO THAT!

We have lost too many trees to the recent fires so you should be saving paper. try this.....

·
Registered
458 Posts
:confused: I dont know where you came up with your info that there sealed. They have seals on the axle to keep the grease in and the dirt out , but they are not a "sealed bearing". They are to be cleaned and repacked every 10,000 miles. Look in your owners manual, its under Chassis Lubrication .
Just hope you don't practice what you preach or yours are going to be locking up on you one of these days. :rolleyes:

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
As far as I know 2000 and up Harleys of all models now have sealed bearings. I know mine does. Anyone else know if 2000 and up has sealed bearings across all models?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
All the big bikes with the new 4 piston brakes do from 00 on. Possibly all of them.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I can't find anywhere in my manual where it says to pack them.
Only a reference to 'sealed' bearings
Also checking in the parts manual '2000FLT' they are definitely 'sealed ball bearings' 2000 all models.
Now why didn't I just do that in the first place?
Ya learn summat new every day..................:rolleyes:

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
harleyhog said:
Now why didn't I just do that in the first place?
Ya learn summat new every day..................:rolleyes:
Well, you could have done that in the first place but this is easy and everyone likes to help. Besides, when you ask a question the resulting posts may be helping countless other people in the quest for the knowledge and that's what it is all about here. Any question is a good question.

Later,

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sometimes I just like chasing my own tail.....or a bit of

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
FLHT said:
:confused: I dont know where you came up with your info that there sealed. They have seals on the axle to keep the grease in and the dirt out , but they are not a "sealed bearing". They are to be cleaned and repacked every 10,000 miles. Look in your owners manual, its under Chassis Lubrication .
Just hope you don't practice what you preach or yours are going to be locking up on you one of these days. :rolleyes:
Well he has the same bike as me ( Y2KFLHRCI ) and they sure as hell are sealed. Check into it man.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My manual says to pack them. Guess I'll find out for sure this weekend when I put on the new rear tire. I know my 97 still had to be packed. Haven't had the rear off the 2000 yet.
Guess the best way to find out is to look and not trust books.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FLHT said:
My manual says to pack them,
What manual you using? :confused:

Theres an awful lot of hippos around here.................

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
FLHT said:
My manual says to pack them. Guess I'll find out for sure this weekend when I put on the new rear tire. I know my 97 still had to be packed. Haven't had the rear off the 2000 yet.
Guess the best way to find out is to look and not trust books.

For a 97 you are right. Different set up on a 00 model.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ok I was wrong, I read in my 2000 HD owners manual that they get cleaned and packed at 10,000 miles. Its a bike out of Canada so they must have been screwing with the poor guys. My Clymer manual shows sealed bearings , and I pulled the back wheel tonight to get the tire changed . And guess what it does have sealed bearings.
Guess that will teach me to read, dumb books!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Nothin wrong with books, just so long as ya cross reference the info.
Ah well, all's well that ends well eeh? ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts