V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dose any one know what bearing number the venders have been selling as stock replacement. The original bearings in these wheels were New Departure 3203AU This bearing has a 17mm (.669") bore 40mm (1.575") OD and a 12mm (.472") width on the outer race. These are the same dimentions as a 6203 bearing that is comon and can be purchased anywhere you can buy bearings. The problem comes in that the iner race on the original bearings is much wider 18.2mm (.717") This was a special bearing that as far as I've been able to find out was only made by New Departure which was owned by General Motors and stopped production in 1987. There is a company called NDH (New Departure Hyatt) still making bearings but I haven't found that they are making this bearing. When you use a bearing with a thinner iner race you must make a new spacer for between the bearing in the wheel and the ones (rear wheel) in the brake drum. The original spacer is about 3.360" long combined with the width of three bearings gives a total length of 5.511". If you use 6203 bearings you must make a new bearing spacer that is .735" longer to make up for the lost width of the iner races. There is another bearing with wider iner races it is an 88503. This bearing is made by several manufacturers and is available for between $10 and $20 depending on where you buy them. The iner race on this bearing is not as wide as the original New Departure bearings but it is the closes match I've seen. The iner race is .6536" wide which is .0634" less than the original and will require a 3/16" spacer to be added to make these bearings the same as stock or make a new spacer 3/16" longer. I have not tried these bearings yet myself, they may work OK with the stock bearing spacer. I assume this is the bearing that the venders a selling as a (stock replacement). If anyone has gotten bearings from a vender (J&P) and can confirm the bearing number they are selling I would be courious. As for walking into your local bearing store with your stock bearings all you will likely get is a blank stare!

·
Banned
871 Posts
When riding the older iron, you have to expect to have to make some modifications and possibly make your own parts from time to time.

That said, J&P Cycle should have what you need. Just check their site and look for what you need and it should work fine. They also sell spacers and bearing shims. No matter what you use, you need to check the tolerences when installing a bearing.... ANY bearing. Just install them as per the factory manual and you shouldn't have any problems. :) Here's a link:
http://www.jpcycles.com/groups.aspx...e045&DID=cd818965-01b0-458f-bbc4-2bf5fd7e4191

1 - 2 of 2 Posts