V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a new rear tire. Goin to tear the wheel down on sunday and leave it to the shop on monday morning.

I did also order a (dynamic) wheel balancing.

Shop is closed now, and I'm not sure if I need to take off the drive belt pulley and/or the the brak disc from the wheel for the wheel balancing.

Someone who knows how this should be done?

Thanks!

/Dan

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Should be done with pulley and rotor, they're all of a piece and will affect the balance of your wheel...

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I hand carry my wheels to dealers all the time for them to mount new tires and never remove pulleys and/or rotors.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Depends on what wheel. Sometimes its a real Wh**e to get the tire off without scarring the pulley. I'd pull that off, and leave the disc. Of course, you'd wanna get some torque specs and a little loctite of the correct flavor(whatever the manual specifies). Definitley don't want that comin loose down the road. I think they might even specify that you change out the bolts, but uh, ya know... your choice there.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

Thats just my thoughts.
I'll leave the disc and the pulley on. When I get the wheel back I'll check the bolts with given torque per manual for the disc and pulley.

Thanks,

/Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I had my dealer doing my tires I assumed they balanced them, I never had a vibration with either my sportster or my Electra Glide Ultra. Now I took my bike to an independent and when he was explaining that he had to drill out a snapped off pull bolt, I assumed it was already broken from the dealer. But he said no, it snapped when he was removing the bolt. I asked why was he removing the pulley and he said it was that he didn't want to take a chance of scuffing the pulley. So now my question is, what does the dealer do? Do they have the right machine and the pulley stays on? I mean, if this guy has to remove the pulley each time, that wheel is going to be toast after awhile. Maybe I'm taking to to a guy with the wrong machine?

·
Registered
16,441 Posts
My indie leaves everything on.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,745 Posts
I just learned something here. The tires that I have balanced in my own garage have all been balanced with the rim only. I hope to never mount another tire in my garage, but you never know. The dealer could piss me off again and I could lose my mind like last time.

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
i left it all on,,, it is easier,,, antone who removes the rotor and pully,,, is somewhat brain dead in my book...

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I pulled my pulley on my spare set of wheels, think I had to to get the bearing out. Had to convert from the metric axle to the 1 inch axle. The front rotors stayed. And yes I bought new bolts for everything, technically they are supposed to be replaced, not taking chances for about $15 worth of bolts.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
I hope to never mount another tire in my garage, but you never know. The dealer could piss me off again and I could lose my mind like last time.
Been there,,, I did one that took me 4 hours to finally get the bead to seal. I was totally used up after that ordeal. Never want to do it again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts