V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I log in, it logs me out. I log back in and it logs be back out. I try to answer a thread and by the time I want to post it, I'm logged out again. I can't read any threads, other than the V-Twin general site, without logging in. This started about 2 or 3 weeks ago.
PITA

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
springer- said:
try using www.v-twinforums.com/forums Note the S.

Or you can also use the IP address. http://65.38.172.84/forums

If you have a shortcut or a favorite, you will need to replace them if this works for you.

As I understand it, it is a cookie issue.

Good Luck
Thanks for responding. I already use the IP address and my favorite is the IP address. I tried editing the above post when I put it out there and it also said I wasn't logged in but at the top of the site it showed I was logged in. I never did get it edited.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might add that it does this same thing at work so don't think it's my cookies here at home. Thanks.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
I have the same issue on multipe computers and locations, I suspect its a bug in the software as it would appear to have started for me about the time they did the upgrade to 3.5.1

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
tibs said:
I have the same issue on multipe computers and locations, I suspect its a bug in the software as it would appear to have started for me about the time they did the upgrade to 3.5.1
Only problem with that theory is "why doesn't it do it with everyone". I and many others have no problem staying logged in. Can't remember the last time I had to login and that's on both IE and FF.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
tibs said:
I don't suspect it is a bug in the software. I use the www.v-twinforums.com/forums link all the time and only rarely have to log in. In fact I have been on ALL day at work and have not had to log in even once. It remembered my password and has not timed out on me at all.

The only drawback is that if someone posts a link without the "S" in the link, it will make you login to view the thread.

You can try clearing cookies and temp files also.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had same problem with log in couple of weeks ago while travelling using remote hook up. Problem went away??? Used IP address as always on both computers and have had no problem since

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From "Springer" - You can try clearing cookies and temp files also.

I did this. Deleted everything and then rebooted. Still the same. And the "S" is in the address as you suggested.

Still have to login to see any threads except in the "General Talk" forum.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
aztriker said:
From "Springer" - You can try clearing cookies and temp files also.

I did this. Deleted everything and then rebooted. Still the same. And the "S" is in the address as you suggested.

Still have to login to see any threads except in the "General Talk" forum.
I still think the address you use is the problem. I would close out the browser and open it fresh. Then type in the address (www v-twinforums com). Click the link at the top says forums and login. See if that help. I believe this is the problem because I logged off and on, not use the "S" in "v-twinforumS". Then I had the same problem you explained. As soon as I went back to the www.v-twinforumS.com, it was fine again.

Just trying to help.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
springer- said:
I still think the address you use is the problem. I would close out the browser and open it fresh. Then type in the address (www v-twinforums com). Click the link at the top says forums and login. See if that help. I believe this is the problem because I logged off and on, not use the "S" in "v-twinforumS". Then I had the same problem you explained. As soon as I went back to the www.v-twinforumS.com, it was fine again.

Just trying to help.
I appreciate your help but I still think something is messed up with the site or my account. I did as you said and the home page came up. I don't see a link at the top that says "Forums and Login". All I see is "Forums". When I click on it, it deletes the "S" from v-twinforums and makes it v-twinforum. So I deleted all the cookies and temp files, again, closed and reopened the browser and this time I put in the address "www.v-twinforums/forums/". It went straight to the forums page and left the "S" in but I still can't read any of the threads in any forums without logging in, except the "v-twin forum general talk" forum.

I realize everyone wants to blame the user but I do work with computers so I'm not stupid about these things. I haven't changed anything with my computer to cause this to start. AS that other user said, it started after an upgrade of the site. Why it doesn't affect everyone is anybodies guess.

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
Ed Y said:
Only problem with that theory is "why doesn't it do it with everyone". I and many others have no problem staying logged in. Can't remember the last time I had to login and that's on both IE and FF.
That is one of the great questions that programmers everywhere ponder every day. When they find the reason and correct the problem then and only then will they know the reason why.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
aztriker said:
I appreciate your help but I still think something is messed up with the site or my account. I did as you said and the home page came up. I don't see a link at the top that says "Forums and Login". All I see is "Forums". When I click on it, it deletes the "S" from v-twinforums and makes it v-twinforum. So I deleted all the cookies and temp files, again, closed and reopened the browser and this time I put in the address "www.v-twinforums/forums/". It went straight to the forums page and left the "S" in but I still can't read any of the threads in any forums without logging in, except the "v-twin forum general talk" forum.

I realize everyone wants to blame the user but I do work with computers so I'm not stupid about these things. I haven't changed anything with my computer to cause this to start. AS that other user said, it started after an upgrade of the site. Why it doesn't affect everyone is anybodies guess.
It works over here on the West Coast. I would clear your temp files, delete all "stale" cookies and try again using the IP address.

·
Premium Member
3,134 Posts
A potential problem is that when you close your browser all cookies are
being removed. Check your browser settings.
Also if you have software like QuickClean it has the same setting option.
If it is set incorrectly cookies will be removed when you close your browser
and you must sign on again.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
As nvsteve said, check your browser settings. If you're using IE with XP, go to "tools/internet options/privacy" then click advanced. Make sure "overide automatic cookie handling" is checked along with "first party cookies accept" and "always allow session cookies".

See if that fixes your problem. I just logged out from VTF on IE. Manually entered www.v-twinforum.com, then clicked on forums and signed in with a checkmark to "remember me". Did a few things, shutdown IE and re-entered www.v-twinforum.com, clicked on forums and didn't have to signin again. VTF came right up with my username already there.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
Ya know, thats exactly what it is and why it is never consistent for me. Its people posting links in thier posts which have it named wrong. Just found a few that did it for me, and sure enough its a typo.

I use vbulletin for other stuff myself so I was naturally leaning that way since its new code (well newer then 3.0 was).

The problems I have are not that its forcing a login for me, its when I open up another message (sometimes from the search list) and then get a few windows open and the domain name changes, which in turn screws up the cookie context.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Finally, I had enough, and downloaded Firefox. No more problems.

Thorns

1 - 20 of 29 Posts