V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Recently was installing new set of timkens on my 88 to 107 all bore project. Normally I always check axial clearance before crank is installed in the block. Have old dummy crankshaft with machined down sprocket shaft for that checks. Was surprised that there was NO AXIAL clearance when was checking them but crank was rotating smooth. Had to install much bigger shim. Today was installing crank on early shovel block. Was the same. No clearance with the shim supplied by Timken in the set. Put bigger shim, 0.004" bigger, then clearance appeared.
Is it normal that each time you have to use bigger shims to get correct axial clrns? There is a note in the package: Dont mix the parts with other bearing sets!
Tell me your experiences with Timken bearings. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
19,631 Posts
I've had more sets that needed re shimming than didn't.

And just to make it worse, measure it in the cold shop, then take it in the house and let it warm up. Then measure it again.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had more sets that needed re shimming than didn't.

And just to make it worse, measure it in the cold shop, then take it in the house and let it warm up. Then measure it again.
What clearance do you usually set Thermo?

·
Super Moderator
19,631 Posts
On an Evo I would like to see .002 with warm parts. But I've gone with flickering of the needle all the way out to a fat .004. And I've re used bottom ends that were showing more than that.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On an Evo I would like to see .002 with warm parts. But I've gone with flickering of the needle all the way out to a fat .004. And I've re used bottom ends that were showing more than that.
Thanks brother.
I usually set them between .001 to 002

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
I go between .001-.002 on street bikes,,, a little looser on racers that see high rpms..
and like therm said I've had .ore that needed shining than didnt,, I have the fancy tool for setup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts