V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing this and am wondering what's the deal with this?
Everyone buying a 06 Wide Glide and I imagine any other bike with this same Harley engine has to sin a paper saying they will allow Harley to change out the crank bearings at every 15,000 miles on Harleys dime.

WTF?? Are they not admiting to something? Why don't they make a engine without problems???!!!

What am I missing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,992 Posts
Oh come on now, it's not that bad. A lot of folks will never have to change them and others won't for 10 - 12 yrs. Buy one, ride it for 800 miles and store it in your garage like everyone else.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,217 Posts
Kickles said:
I'm seeing this and am wondering what's the deal with this?
Everyone buying a 06 Wide Glide and I imagine any other bike with this same Harley engine has to sin a paper saying they will allow Harley to change out the crank bearings at every 15,000 miles on Harleys dime.

WTF?? Are they not admiting to something? Why don't they make a engine without problems???!!!

What am I missing?

I do not believe it is the crank bearing. It's the inner Primary bearing if I am not mistaken. Harley tried something new and found it not to work so well. You can bet after they put some money into changing these under warranty a few thousand times, it will get a perm. fix!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,114 Posts
Harley changed the location of the primary drive sprockets. Example of this is the compensator spring is on the inside and the sprocket is on the out side instead of the compensator spring being on the out side and the sprocket being on the inside....the new stack up goes #1 altenator, #2 compensator, #3 sprocket. The sprocket is moved on the outer shell on the clutch hub to match or align up with the new position of the drive sprocket. With the sprocket and chains set out further from the inter primary the force on the bearing is greater, HD wants to moniter this bearing wear so replacing it every 15,000 miles gives them the info they want.
 

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
Joined
·
4,884 Posts
hdmd88 said:
Harley changed the location of the primary drive sprockets. Example of this is the compensator spring is on the inside and the sprocket is on the out side instead of the compensator spring being on the out side and the sprocket being on the inside....the new stack up goes #1 altenator, #2 compensator, #3 sprocket. The sprocket is moved on the outer shell on the clutch hub to match or align up with the new position of the drive sprocket. With the sprocket and chains set out further from the inter primary the force on the bearing is greater, HD wants to moniter this bearing wear so replacing it every 15,000 miles gives them the info they want.
Right. I've seen one with the primary cover off and man, it really looks strange. All of that iron hanging off of the crankshaft and a HUMUNGOUS front sprocket with every thing WAY, WAY WAY out....... Phew!

On the good side, it's yet another opportunity for the Harley owner to assist the MOCO in doing some real, true to life, R&D. I'd feel proud!

:)
 

·
Total Nutcase
Joined
·
2,691 Posts
Actually, I think they are just inspecting the inner primary bearing, not necessarily replacing it.....but I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. Anyways, whatever they do is free, so it didn't bother me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
Wasn't there some kind of hoax that went around about this when they first came out? Atleast we thought it was a hoax then.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,430 Posts
One would think there is a better way to testing something like this instead of on the suspecting public.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
It makes perfect sense to me! What would you do if you were Harley? Instead of replacing the motor in each of those bikes, they will instead spend a couple of hundred watching it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
202 Posts
That sounds like a raw deal to me.

You spend big money on their product only to have it be returned for service after so many miles because they have done something new without properly testing it.

The worse part is that the same price (if not a little more due to the yearly price increase, inflation, etc...) that someone else paid for last year's model and they dpn't have to do the same thing because their bike did not under go this new change.

Are they giving out loaner bikes while yours is at the dealers?

What about wait time? I know there has been a couple times there was over a month wait just to drop the bike off for life endangering warranty work that should have been done the same day.

I don't know what the MoCo thinks, but when I bought my bike it was to be ridden for my own enjoyment purposes and not testing purposes for their personal gain.
 

·
Arrogant Bastard
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
Just bought my Deluxe 10/5 and wasn't asked to sign anything.:huh:

Joe
 

·
Arrogant Bastard
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
84FXRP said:
These changes are to the 2006 Dyna models. (Soon to come to the other bikes?)
Okay, that explains why I didn't sign anything.:duh?:

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
If it bothers you don't buy one pretty simple. Personaly it doesn't/didn't bother me. I also doubt it will be an issue. Far as loaner bikes etc while work is beeing performed is a valid concern and should be discussed with your dealer since they would be the ones giving the loaner out. Im told through mine when I purchased that a loaner is available even for PM services. Over 6k miles on my 06 wideglide still going strong. Have a good day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,251 Posts
Just a few thoughts on the subject. First a question. Are you obligated to sign the paper, thus agreeing to participate in this or is it optional? Second what is the big deal about taking your bike in to have this done. Don't you take it in at 15,000, 30,000 miles etc for service anyway? IMHO it sounds like a really good way of monitoring these bearings as they will be checking not just a few samples but actually checking every one on every bike ( of the affected models ) they sell! As for the guy who says it takes 30 days or more just to drop it off, I would find another dealer. Also the guy who said "Keep selling us crap Harley". If I thought my Harley was crap I would be riding something else. If you feel Harleys are crap then maybe you should consider buying something else.
 

·
Total Nutcase
Joined
·
2,691 Posts
utrvp said:
Just a few thoughts on the subject. First a question. Are you obligated to sign the paper, thus agreeing to participate in this or is it optional? Second what is the big deal about taking your bike in to have this done. Don't you take it in at 15,000, 30,000 miles etc for service anyway? IMHO it sounds like a really good way of monitoring these bearings as they will be checking not just a few samples but actually checking every one on every bike ( of the affected models ) they sell! As for the guy who says it takes 30 days or more just to drop it off, I would find another dealer. Also the guy who said "Keep selling us crap Harley". If I thought my Harley was crap I would be riding something else. If you feel Harleys are crap then maybe you should consider buying something else.
From what I understood, you don't sign, you don't get the bike. My dealer told me that they'd do it while I waited. Said it isn't a huge procedure.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top