V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all....fng here,
I've been an avid motorcyclist for well over 25 years and usually buy a new bike every 2-3 years (my bank loves me). Anyway, whenever I'm interested in a new machine, the salesmen have always been ready and enthusiastically ready to answer my questions about the bike in question; never had an issue with Guzzi, Victory, Triumph, Ducati, and Suzuki dealers. Now I'm looking into my first Harley.
Was checking out a Street Bob and the salesdude casually walked to me. Basically, he just watched me sit and fiddle with the bike and told me the obvious (CCs, six speed, larger forks, yadda yadda). When I asked about a coupla specifics like, "Who does their suspension and brakes?" The guy actually became angry, raised his voiced and spouted, "LOOK, IF YOU WANNA KNOW WHERE THE BIKE IS MADE, THE BRAKES AND SUSPENSION COME FROM JAPAN, AND THE ELECTRICS ARE MADE IN MEXICO. GOT IT?" Felt like thumping his scrawny little arse right there in the showroom.
This doesn't appear to be isolated. Had a similar experience years ago when I was interested in Harley. Seems to be if you like the bike, buy it; if you question it, it ain't the bike for you. And it's not just me; I've heard from others who were turned off by a$$hole dealers.
What's the freakin' deal? I'm ready to plop down over 15K on a new bike and this guy wants to discourage me.

I continue not to get it.

·
FOG
82 Posts
The problem is you are dealing with people who never had to "sell" a bike. They have been for the most part just order takers. Product knowledge was never required nor were skills for dealing with people. Customer service has been another unknown skill to them. This doesn't apply to everyone but sure does apply to many of the dealers and dealer salespeople that I have run accross. Things are going to have to change now that production has caught up with demand. Not only that but many of the younger buyers are not buying into the "lifestyle".
Its up to them, they will either change or they will fail. I'm sure as hell not buying from a total idiot. Treat me with respect as a customer or I'll vote with my feet.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
I had one tell me no Cat's in any of the 06 bikes anywhere. I thought, you are so full of it.
They do not know the product. He did not know the makers, only the the place of manufacture, so he got defensive. I have had the same problem at car dealears. I know more about a car than the salesman. They deal with the general public which is very uninformed when it come to buying a car.
Some people, usually ones that have been riding for a while, what details about the bike. Most of the people they see are buying the image not the bike, so where it is made and other details are not important, so they do not know the answer.
This will change as they have to compete more for the $$.
And I would have made a scene with the sales manager, just for my own satisfaction, before I walked out of the dealership, if some ass hat treated me that way.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
They don't have that attitude at the dealers near me, never have. I think it's probably a local thiing. Sales people don't last long if they are rude.

Management really doesn't like that. Believe it or not, they really want your business, now and in the future.

·
Can it get any better!
423 Posts
There are good salesmen and bad salesmen, you'll find all types no matter what you are looking to buy. I have 2 HD dealerships close to me I frequent, both have some salespeople I don't like to deal with, but on the majority they also have salepeople I will do repeat business with because of the right attitude.
I remember shopping at the Honda dealership in the early 90's, this was when they were getting list+ on their cruisers. Same attitude of many salesmen back then. With the competition increasing, the bad attitudes get weeded out slowly.
Try a different dealer or salesman.
Also remember your Harley may be long term ownership whereas hopefully you will only have to deal with the salesman for short term.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I've never experienced that kind of rude behavior from any of the sales people I have dealt with down here in SoCal either.

Not to condone the guy's behavior, but I would venture to say they are not prepared to answer that in-depth of a question. The fact of the matter is that HDs are advertised as American made, and the sales people aren't going to acknowledge that there are parts from all over the world on them. Again, I don't condone the rudeness.

Too bad your experience sucked, they really are great bikes!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I guess I have been very fortunate in this regard. The gals in the clothing department at San Diego Harley are a different story... rude as hell.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gordito said:
I've never experienced that kind of rude behavior from any of the sales people I have dealt with down here in SoCal either.

Not to condone the guy's behavior, but I would venture to say they are not prepared to answer that in-depth of a question. The fact of the matter is that HDs are advertised as American made, and the sales people aren't going to acknowledge that there are parts from all over the world on them. Again, I don't condone the rudeness.

Too bad your experience sucked, they really are great bikes!

Understood, but the question was "who" builds their brakes and suspension not where. I know we are in a global economy and that many components on HDs are imported. Talking with a MoCo plant employee once he said that basically HD is an assembly line not a manufacturer. He puts the "Made in USA" factor at around 60%. And that was about 10 years ago...probably less now.

and yes, I do believe they are really great bikes.

·
EVOs are cool
141 Posts
bad salespeople

xnihilo said:
THE BIKE IS MADE, THE BRAKES AND SUSPENSION COME FROM JAPAN, AND THE ELECTRICS ARE MADE IN MEXICO. GOT IT?" ... What's the freakin' deal? I'm ready to plop down over 15K on a new bike and this guy wants to discourage me.

I continue not to get it.
Find a good salesperson.

By the way, you're not just buying a bike here, you're buying a Harley. There are certain expected forms. This is a big deal to a lot of people ... you have finally graduated to the big time.

Because it's a Harley, you are expected to act with a certain reverence. Do not force a salesperson to admit in public that certain parts originate in Mexico. It violates the Cool Code. In a Harley store, you are there to worship the art that lies therein, acquire as you must, and respect the mystique.

Other parts of the code: be self-confident. Be a man if you're male. Never whine. If you see a Harley you want, it is your duty to acquire it. No one should get between you and your bike. It is destiny.

Do not use terms such as "plop down" when describing this acquisition.

You should be willing to spend more than 15K to do this right.

Find a good salesperson.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I've witnessed the same at various dealerships. It all depends on who you get I suppose. I went with my father to the Qwanda Dealership in NY awhile ago and my father was preparing to get his 1st Harley. We didnt see any SuperGlides on the floor so we asked the salesman if they had any and he said "No", "but we can order one for you". My father (an avid biker for 25+years) said "well, I cant order one if I dont know if i'll like it or not", "do you have any demo models or used ones that I can sit on and get the feel of and hopefully take around the lot for a test drive?" The salesman said "No, we do not, and no one test drives Harleys or requires to sit on one before they buy one"... My father replied "well, you'd have to be an idiot to buy a 14k+ bike without getting to atleast sit on it, not to mention taking it for a quick test drive".. The salesman then said : "Well, thats how an awful lot of people buy their Harleys".. (real rude and arrogant sounding) My father replied "well, then theres an awful lot of idiots riding around on new Harleys"..

Yes, we could have rented one and all that, but still, the salesman showed no concern about the sale or about the customers needs.
He probably would have rented one if the salesman would have been helpful instead of arrogant.

That's not the norm though, in most cases they seem to be pretty helpful and happy to talk with you.. If you have a bad experience, go straight to the manager and see it through that it gets addressed. Then, you can decide if you wanna stay with that dealership or go on down the road to the next one..

·
Registered
547 Posts
same here in 'Gawga'...

was in the dealership one day waiting for the bike to get done with the service, and a guy walked up looking at the Road Kings...after about 20 minutes of chit-chat with the salesman, he asked him how much...the salesman said..."well, $18,500 out the door"...the guy replies..."man, you are crazy, I'm not paying that for this bike"...about the same time another guy walks in and the salesman says..."that's ok, he will!"

now, although it is true, I didn't think he should have said what he said, be hey, why not?

he's been a salesman there for over 5 years, so although he is cocky and smart-assy, he sales the bikes...

-2$en#e-

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
the butthole parts idiots are even worse.

"NO WE WON"T GIVE YOU A DISCOUNT" "well then, ORDER IT OFF the net"

bunch a prima donna buttwipes.

they think the "harley experience" is being treated like crap by some jackoff who was working at a used car lot (or junkyard for parts?) last week.

you have to beat the bushes to find a decent dealer.
our local dealer is widely acclaimed to be a PITA, and brags about how they "were $2k over MSRP before"

DUH...why you think everyone buys at other end of state?

look around, enjoy whatever bike you have, and ride to a different stealer every weekend, until you find one you can work (suffer?) with.

good luck.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
I first walked into a dealership in 1973. Small, storefront operation like they mostly were then. One guy was sitting behind a counter as I looked at the 3 bikes on the floor, Sportster, Electraglide and a Super Glide. I walked around the bikes inspecting for several minutes finally focusing on the Sportster. The guys behind the counter says nothing. Finally I say, "You sell bikes here, or what?" "How much for this one?" He mumbles something like $1895, or something, can't really remember. I ask what the bottom line is and he repeats the same price. I try to start a negotiation when he says, "Look, if you don't want it, someone will be in that does, we sell every one we get." I find that attitude mostly prevails today.

·
banal
486 Posts
JazNine said:
Find a good salesperson.

By the way, you're not just buying a bike here, you're buying a Harley. There are certain expected forms. This is a big deal to a lot of people ... you have finally graduated to the big time.

Because it's a Harley, you are expected to act with a certain reverence. Do not force a salesperson to admit in public that certain parts originate in Mexico. It violates the Cool Code. In a Harley store, you are there to worship the art that lies therein, acquire as you must, and respect the mystique.

Other parts of the code: be self-confident. Be a man if you're male. Never whine. If you see a Harley you want, it is your duty to acquire it. No one should get between you and your bike. It is destiny.

Do not use terms such as "plop down" when describing this acquisition.

You should be willing to spend more than 15K to do this right.

Find a good salesperson.
Bravo! Bravo! Very well said.

I ran across a very rude salesperson when I first walked into a dealership looking to get back into motorcycling after a 15 yr lay off. With a little respect and sincere honesty I could very well have been sold a new FLHR on the spot, but his attitude drove me off for a few years. But the mystique was strong, and my desire for a King eventually wore me down, so the MoCo eventually got me anyway. I had already done all my research and knew what I wanted, so I just walked in the door and had them write up my order. No questions, no negotiating, they told me I would have to pay $1800 over MSRP and I said no problem, thank you sir. At a different dealer though.

This might make me an idiot to some, but I'm a mutherfukin happy idiot cause that bike was worth every penny and has given me more pleasure than I could possibly describe.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
8-Ball said:
I guess I have been very fortunate in this regard. The gals in the clothing department at San Diego Harley are a different story... rude as hell.
Maybe they just need a good spanking:boobies: !:dunno:

·
Registered
622 Posts
The dealers I have dealt with have not treated me like that. Everyone has a boss, talk to the boss on the way you were treated. If he is the same way, I would find another dealer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The salesman I had at Long Branch HD in NJ was great. Took me around to all the bikes in the shop, even one's getting serviced. Started up a bunch with different pipes so I could decide which ones I like best. He was even very cool when I changed my order a month later ( RKC from heritage softtail), even told me he thought it was a smart move. Guess there are good people and assh0les all over, just a matter of who you run ino at any given time.

Jimmy

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I think you just found an IDIOT is all. Around here they are all over the place. They dress up like bikers and act the part but if you ask them something about a bike god forbid they get mad because they don't know $hit. I run into it everyday. Get used to it because it's taking over our country.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you think about where these sales people and parts people are coming from: minimum wage, have never owned or could afford a Harley, BAD A*S Biker dude’s challenging them on their knowledge, fired if they don’t make their sales quota, dealers forced by the motor company to spend millions on show places (dealerships), FNG’s , for what-ever reasons, not questioning and blindly believing everything that is told them by these sales and parts people (you read that every day here) etc. ------ I’m getting depressed and too much bull to go on.

Kenny

1 - 20 of 69 Posts