V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Well in my situation since my brother was killed on his Harley I got the initial oh man your actually going to get a Harley after all has happened with your brother. All I can say is he would be proud that I am carrying on where he left off Oh and by the way the FLHT he was killed on is all fixed up and my parents are enjoying the ride as well....we both are riding along side of our lost member and it fells so great. Some of the people that hear this their jaw drops to the floor and usually say wow man thats cool!!!

Rest in Peace Bro!!

· Registered
598 Posts
I get as many of the same views as many on this thread. When I told my parents they ****! :eek: First thing out of my Dad's mouth was "You have kids, time to grow up" :rolleyes: Then my Mom thought it was great. I've had motercycles all my life, but when i started to have kids I got out of them. Well now it's time to get back into them! :D

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for the replies to this thread everyone. It makes me feel better that I am not the only one that has experienced this. This forum is the best!!!

· Registered
100 Posts
When I was young and riding Japanese dirt bikes my Grandmother would always tell me that I should have a Harley instead. She said that way I'd always have it apart working on it and she wouldn't have to worry about me ever actually riding it. She learned this because my Uncle had a Shovelhead and more often than not it was in pieces in her basement or his bedroom. I took her advice though and Harley number three will arrive in the spring.

· Registered
2,812 Posts
Quaylued said:
Oh and by the way the FLHT he was killed on is all fixed up and my parents are enjoying the ride as well...>snip... Some of the people that hear this their jaw drops to the floor and usually say wow man thats cool!!!

Rest in Peace Bro!!
;)

· Registered
51 Posts
shite mate i waited 19 years for my last one it'll come it'll come sometimes you just have to be patient like me..and the reactions you are getting,that happens to everyone ..I'm in australia and it happens the same here to mind you you also get disbelief that you have that much money.My extremely fanbloodytastic wife went on long service leave,she used the money she got to buy my fxstc now i know she has something over me now but hey i've got my harley.who cares what anyone says

· Registered
5,117 Posts
My experience was a bit different than most because i went from a '91 GL1500 Goldwing to an '03 Ultra. Everyone kept asking my why would I want a Harley? Now that I have it they ask does it leak? Dosen't it vibrate? and if for some reason they see me and I am not on my bike they ask" Is it in the shop? I just tell them that it is true what they say, that if I have to expain it, you wouldn't understand anyway. I have a friend with a Valkyrie. He keeps harping on how much technology his Valkyrie has and how primitive my Harley is. I finaly told him that if he wanted technology to get a computer, if he wanted a motorcycle, get a Harley!

· Registered
619 Posts
Most of my friends already had Harleys, so when I finally got one myself it just gave us one more thing we could all do together. Even though mine is laid up for repairs we are all still tight, true friends indeedy. :)

Even my mom was excited when I told her I was getting a Harley, she's been to Laconia Bike Week years ago and loved it!

You do find that most people don't realise that there are different models of Harleys, one lady looked at my V-Rod and said her boyfriend had one -a yellow one, of course I wasn't going to argue the point that they don't paint V-Rods. :)

It's kinda like telling someone you drive a chevy and not elaborating. :)

· Registered
5 Posts
Guess I understand what your talking about. But sorry, I can't really relate. Riding these days is much defferent than the past. When I started riding back in "the day"(I know, showing my age)reaction from the general public was either fear and/or hatred. Marlon and the Wild Bunch did that for us. Their was the occasional old timer who remembered that Harleys meant fun, not trouble and would walk up at the gas stations, talk about his experiences in the "the day". But, normally when ya rode alone, you really rode alone.
As for as family and real freinds, they new me and were cool with it. Course Mom worried(thats her job, ya know). Guess they figured it was the natural progression from mini bikes, mopeds, scooters to the big wheels at 19.
Yea, times have changed and I love it.
My advise, for what its worth is to ride, have fun and **** those who don't understand:D

Ed

· Registered
2,414 Posts
Hey ,think you guys catch hell and all the nasty comments, well women really catch hell, I can tell you not much support on my end either! especially when I said I was buying a FLSTCI... something like this... Oh my god thats such a big bike .. can you handle it...your gonna kill your self... your a mom , moms shouldn't ride! but I think the problem I have the most is...All the guys asking me... (not too many women riders around here) " Your gonna let me ride it .. aren't ya?" Now the nice person I'am ,I kinda would say I don't know .. maybe.. but now the answer is Hell no!! don't even ask!! It's all mine.. get your own!! and to top it off I say.. would you let someone "DO" your ole lady... cause asking me to ride my bike is like asking you that !! most of the time that shuts them up, al though some say they don't care who's with their OL. I mean when you see someone with a nice car.. or truck... it doesn't seem like the Question can I drive that comes up! why do people think they should take your bike out? I think alot of it is jeoulsey too!

· Registered
842 Posts
Harleygirl, you are soooo right. NO ONE in our office asked my SO (we work together) to ride his when he got it. I had like five guys ask me if they could ride mine. To quote an earlier post again "I don't fu(king think so". Funny too, I'm one of three women I know that ride FLSTFs but no guys at our local dealer gave me any ****. They said it was a nice looking ride and, as long as I don't drop it, it's easy to handle and ride.

· Registered
7,269 Posts
JoeJitsu said:
You do find that most people don't realise that there are different models of Harleys, one lady looked at my V-Rod and said her boyfriend had one -a yellow one, of course I wasn't going to argue the point that they don't paint V-Rods. :)

It's kinda like telling someone you drive a chevy and not elaborating. :)
Saw one painted black a few weeks ago. The fake tank, fenders and a few of the normally 'stainless steel looking' things were painted flat black. Took a double take when I first saw it!:D

· Just Like to Ride
2,664 Posts
Harleygirl64 & HarleyHottie, You're under NO OBLIGATION to let anyone ride your bike besides your SO. And if they didn't have balls to ask your SO to ride his, they sure as hell shouldn't ask to ride yours just because 'you are a woman'. I bet they wouldn't let someone test ride theirs if they were selling it. And the analogy about the old lady is COOL.

If someone asked me to ride my bike, I'd also have to say no. I've even had people tell me to ride theirs to see what it was like and I don't do that. Hell, I don't want to take a chance on dropping their bike and getting someone pissed at me. Had friend get pissed at me back in 1980 because I was driving his car and someone ran into it while I was stopped(not my fault). We haven't spoken to each other in years(no great loss IMHO).

· Registered
176 Posts
I got various reactions...the atta boys come from the people who want one (my sister, for example). You'll always get the "so and so got killed on a bike"...those are the people who will never have the balls to own one. Funny thing is, 40,000 people a year get killed in car wrecks, but you never hear that crap when someone buys a new car. By far, most of the people who give you crap (Have to put oil in it yet? Where's the tattoos? And all that blah blah blah are jealous, ignorant or usually BOTH. Screw 'em. Do what you want.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.