V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it about people when they find out you have or are getting a Harley? It's weird to see people and family around me react to the news. Some of my brothers keep telling me how much they are, like I don't already know. One of my brothers keeps telling me how great Indian motorcycles are and then tells me that he is planning on getting a Harley down the road. Kinda like saying don't buy a Harely before me. Got talking Harley's with a friend of mine and I told them that I was getting a Harley and his wife said "That's cool" and then he changed the subject real fast. When I have worn a Harley Shirt, people ask about it and ask if I have a Harley. I tell them I have one on order they say "oh" or "really?" and then talk about something else.

I just find it kinda strange to see the reaction that people have. Getting a Harley has been something that I have wanted to do for a long time. I saw my first Harley up close in 1991 and knew that was something that I wanted to get. Now that things seem to be working out so that I can, people act strange about it. What it this? Is it just me or does everyone that owns or is buying a Harley experience this?

When I have got to talking about Harley's, some people will say something like, my neighbor has one, or this guy at work does. I reply to them saying something like, "no kidding, what kind?" And everytime I ask that they say "oh, I'm not sure, it's a Harley. Are there different kinds?".

Is this just my own unique experience? Can anyone else relate? I have to take a step back sometimes and just laugh at it all. It can be humorous the way people react sometimes.

Thanks for listening.

Bike supposed to be here in January and I am going crazy waiting!!!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Oh yea,I can relate.Wait until you get the bike!

My personal favorite,usually co-workers,is "did you go for a ride today?" Upon hearing my "no" response they seem so dissapointed,like I ruined their day.Said no to a guy at work once & he said " And you call yourself a biker?",I said "No, you call me a biker".End of conversation!

03FLSTCI,hope the waiting flies by,it would drive me bananas!
guido

·
Registered
306 Posts
Normally for me people are really excited and happy for me, and then they always tell you that they once had a bike or used to ride or they will tell me that someone they know has one. Normally the guys get this glazed look in there eyes like maybe there is a smowballs chance in hell that you will let them ride it, and at that exact same second there OL get a scared look in there eyes like "no way you are getting one".

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
It's better than the "Oh no, they are so dangerous...my cousin Edna's neighbor's son was killed on a motorcycle after he got back from Vietnam".

I agree though, the most fun is when you can tell the guy you are telling is really into it and secretly wants one and the wife is scared to death (sure glad i didn't marry one of those kill-joy wenches) the hubby might start looking at getting one.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
logical said:
It's better than the "Oh no, they are so dangerous...my cousin Edna's neighbor's son was killed on a motorcycle after he got back from Vietnam".

I got this from my mom because I was named after dad's friend who was named Nelson. He was killed while riding a harley. Stepdad told her I was a good driver(he taught me) and that he thought if I wanted one, I should get one. Never got to take him for a ride before he passed away. :(

sure glad i didn't marry one of those kill-joy wenches Me, too. :D Mine told me to either get a bike or shut up. She was tired of me going on about it after 17 years :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
The above summarises all the reactions I've had in the last month since "coming out" as a pending owner!

Was at a charity dinner saturday past with 4 couples at our table. My sweetie mentioned I'm going to buy a harley, that she can't wait and wished I'd get on and order it (what a lass!). (I'm still trying to decide between H. Springer or Classic)

Anyway; maybe co-incidence of timing, but the band stoped playing just at that moment. Someone asked why they're called soft tails anyway, and 2 sentences into my answer the fems glazed over, and the guys recovered themselves sufficiently to fain disinterest! So explanation was duely stoped after 2nd setence, and I explained "because they're real kind on your ass if you ride them right". Conversation then moved on to poverty in the third world!

Later at the bar, each of the guys engaged me in 1to1 confab at various stages of the evening, trying to casually hover my brain for info. Best question was "how did you get that one past the finance committee?"

What is this - have I entered the twilight zone????

·
Registered
629 Posts
My wife got tired of waiting for me to get a bike, so she made me get her one.

Of course, then I had to get one too :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've had a lot of those same reactions. When I'm on the road (on my bike) there is always someone who comes up to me and tells me that they used to have one or knew someone who did, etc. But right after I got the thing there were a lot of "those things are dangerous" coming from people that just don't know what else to say. That's why a lot of those people seem indifferent in their reaction... they just don't know much about them and don't know what else to say. It is unfortunately that no one else here at my work shares my hobby, but there are a few that have become interested in the past year or so, so who knows. :)

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Stareing Glazed Eyes............they put their tongue back in an say, 'Bet that takes some polishing'. :D

·
Registered
903 Posts
Getting a new Harley is great. I remember the looks and waves I got on my way home with my new one!! Don't worry about other people, my experience was completely opposite yours and I think its just that you're more exited about it than they are. I think its great that your getting one soon!

·
Registered
458 Posts
One night at a bar a friend of mine was introduceing a girl he was hitting on, to me. First thing she wanted to know is how many tats I had.
I told her mine ran on gas, thought her chin was going to hit the floor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
from shocked looks to sneers

after spending the last 25 years on sport bikes (metric) , my friends and family were stunned that I even had any intrest in a harley, much less buying one, and here's the kicker, the first week I had it, you guy's know what i'm talkin about here, i'm all proud of her and decide to ride her to my local bike night (sport bike night) instead of my old trusty sport bike, WELL", the glare's and jeer's from my so-called friends was epic .

they all sorta put up this "talk to the hand" atatude, so I hav'nt been back since .

the tatoo thing is funny to me too, everyone in my circle asumes that just because I bought a harley, I will imedeitly go out and get all tatted (I don't think so), so I ask them why they think the two are mutualy exclusive ?, again the blank glaze, it's redickuless .

·
Registered
172 Posts
I to noticed at work some weird feelings about me ordering a 03 Fatboy due in Oct. One guy said, I heard you ordered a fatboy, yes, then he said you know you are going to drop it. I said I hope not and dont plan on doing it. One guy said no way you cant pay for it. I think there are 2 kinds of people, 1 that are happy for you and 2, ones that are plain jealous. They tell me all the time when someone is killed are hurt on one.I myself am happy for people when they are happy.
ps is it close enough to Oct. to call my dealer and get a ship date from H-D??? Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
WHAT EVER THE REACTION, IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO ONE THING. UNLESS THEY ARE YOUR GRANDMA OR THE LIKE AND GENUINELY WORRIED ABOUT YOU KILLING YOURSELF.
THEY LOVE IT AND WANT ONE.
EITHER THEY TELL YOU HOW GREAT IT IS AND ARE GENUINELY HAPPY FOR YOU.
OR THEY ARE BLOODY JEALOUS, TELL YOU HOW SH!T HARLEY'S ARE AND HOW THIS AND THAT ARE BETTER OPTIONS, FACT IS THEY ARE JEALOUS, WANT ONE BUT CAN'T GET ONE.

MY ADVICE IS SIT TIGHT, WAIT TILL YOU GET YOURS, DON'T GIVE A STUFF WHAT ANYONE ELSE SAY'S BECAUSE SOON YOU WILL BE KING ON THE ROAD. JUST REMEMBER ANYONE NEGATIVE TOWARDS YOU IS SIMPLY BURNING INSIDE.

AS I SAY IF THEY ARE NOT ON YOUR SIDE, FCUK EM!

ENJOY YOUR RIDE MAN HOPE THE WAIT FLIES BY.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I already have tattoos and piercings, so I thought the natural progression would be to get a Harley! Seriously though, I've ran into the same thing most of my life. I've wanted a Harley for most of my life, but it was a "I'm not contributing a dime to a motorcycle" from my parents. Now I'm at the age that I can get it myself and I've worked hard for it.
I also had an ex-fiancee(thank God that's over) who was cool about it, but once marriage was discussed, it was a no-go.(Fu(k her!) My fiancee now is cool about it.....only stipulation is no 3/4 helmet. Have to get a full-faced. I can handle that though.
As was stated earlier, most people aren't interested. They aren't as excited as you are about it. It has become an obsession now. My 2002 FLHR is due at the dealer at the end of the month. Won't see it until April of next year, but that's alright. Getting back home will be that much sweeter!! Peace and hope your wait is short! J.T.

·
Still Serving...U.S. Army
160 Posts
Plain and simple jealousy!!

·
Registered
695 Posts
When the word got out that I was getting a Harley (with friends, family and co-workers) it was like they thought, "well he must certainly be doing well in order to afford that". Little did they know I've been saving a long time, but it didn't matter. I found out who my real friends were and ditched the fake ones -- I sure wish I could do that with some of my c0-workers , just kidding.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Originally posted by conetail I to noticed at work some weird feelings about me ordering a 03 Fatboy due in Oct. One guy said, I heard you ordered a fatboy, yes, then he said you know you are going to drop it. I said I hope not and dont plan on doing it. One guy said no way you can't pay for it. I think there are 2 kinds of people, 1 that are happy for you and 2, ones that are plain jealous. They tell me all the time when someone is killed are hurt on one.I myself am happy for people when they are happy.
MAN, these kind of 'friends' none of us need.

·
Just bad
698 Posts
logical said:
I agree though, the most fun is when you can tell the guy you are telling is really into it and secretly wants one and the wife is scared to death (sure glad i didn't marry one of those kill-joy wenches) the hubby might start looking at getting one.
I can relate :)

The absolute best is at my office. The motorcycle parking is the closest smoking area to me. I can be out there having a smoke minding my own business and about one or two times a week a stranger will walk up and start fawning over the bikes. Most people just look, but once in a while you'll get some clown that wants to touch. The look you get when you tell them that bike they're messing with is yours is PRICELESS :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts