V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 everyone has to go with HD TV. Whats the deal with that and what happens to all of the regular TV's we got. Do you think its better to buy one now or then ???

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
hotshotfxdl said:
2009 everyone has to go with HD TV. Whats the deal with that and what happens to all of the regular TV's we got. Do you think its better to buy one now or then ???
I got a HD tv a couple of months ago, wish i had done it sooner. After watching HD your regular channels look blurry.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
I have no clue as to what the big deal is...we bought a HDTV and though we have HD broadcasts relatively often on both the local channels and cable (we have that enabled) the picture isn't any better than our good flat screen TV...

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
someone told me you wont be able to use a regular TV after Feb 2009 ???

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
If you're into sports at all, HD is the way to go!

We went this year just before Superbowl. Excellent picture. You can go crazy looking at the various specs and deciding.

Currently have a 46" in the Living Room, and 2 19"ers one in the sewing room and one in the home office/reloading room/ham shack/computer room (where I'm sitting now with the Phoenix 150 in the background). All have DirecTv with HD. Only "standard" TV is the one in the shop.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
I think there's some misunderstanding here. I believe all TV broadcasts will be in digital mode rather than analog mode starting in 2009. HD is a non-issue in this matter. I also understand that analog TVs can receive programming after the change to digital programming by means of a digital/analog converter.

We think HD is great, especially watching sports. We have a Mits 52" DLP TV.

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
There is a bit of a mis-conception that broadcasters are switching to HD. HD has to do with the picture resolution.

Thats not the case; they're shifting from an analog broadcast to digital.

As for the equipment, prior TV sets will require a seperate tuner (similar to a current cable box). This will only be required for over-the-air (OTA) signals. Since the vast population use cable or some form of satellite, most will be unaffected.

As for the Hi Def vs Standard resolution, it is one of the main reasons we switched to DirecTV. IMHO If you have a larger screen set (I'd say bigger than 36") the switch over to HD is worth a look.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
I have no clue as to what the big deal is...we bought a HDTV and though we have HD broadcasts relatively often on both the local channels and cable (we have that enabled) the picture isn't any better than our good flat screen TV...
RiverSwimmer, I think there may some issues at your end, there is a huge difference between HD and regular broadcasts. If you'd like send me a p.m. and we can go through your set up and see if we can determine where the problem lies.

RMC_SS_LDO is quite correct in his Analog/ Digital point. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television_in_the_United_States

A simple way to understand this in terms of HD:

Currently Broadcast TV comes in the form of 480P.

Current HDTV programming is broadcast in the form of 720P (also referred to as 1080i.) nearly twice the clarity of 480P.

Eventually HDTV will be available in 1080P, a 50%(?) step up from 720P.

You need to keep that in mind when you buy your TV (if you haven't already). You can get an excellent big HD TV with a 720P capablitly for less than $1000 bucks now, but understand that you will not be able to get 1080P quality. To get a 1080P TV you will pay about double right now for the same size set, but remember that your TV is probably going to last you 10 years. You'll have to decide if it makes more sense to just go 720P now, save the money, and when broadcasts go to 1080P you can use the money you saved to buy a 1080P when prices are going to be much lower.

Why are they going to be lower? Because the next upgrade is going to 1340P(or something like that), which will bring the 1080P's down in price very soon. 720s will be a dime a dozen by then.

However, if you have a blue disc player (as I do) or plant to get one, you can already buy films and video games in 1080P, so the fact that broadcast TV is a long way from 1080P doesn't matter to me, I am already enjoying 1080P picture. (For example Spiderman 3 and Apocolypta which I bought in blue ray - and the 1080P pictures are quite amazing.)

Your TV needs as many HDMI inputs as possible. All of those thick 5 wire cords are going the way of the dodo bird in favor of the HDMI cords which are similar to a simple USB cord. It called a "lossless" connection and claims to deliver 100% of the picture and sound with 0-loss. My blue ray and cable converter are both in HDMI and they work great. PS: the stores sell these HDMI cords anywhere from $50-100 bucks. Forget that! I bought 5 of them through Amazon.com for a buck a piece and they work perfectly. Don't let them fool you with all that "gold" and "platinum" b.s., all HDMI works great don't waste your money.

Lastly, do you go plasma, LCD, or DLP (projection)? You will get a lot of opinions on that subject, I'll simply say I went LCD, but you should look at other people's TVs in their own homes (running 1080P with a 1080P media) and decide for yourself. Don't go by what you see at the store, you need to see the pictures in a real world setting, ie: somebody's living room. Also when making your final decision keep this number in mind: FPS (Frames Per Second) the lower the number (in milli-seconds) the better the TV is capable of delivering a quickly changing picture (like sports) without "pixel-ating". Do not even consider any TV with a FPS greater than 8 milliseconds, and try to get to at least 6 if you can.

For more information here is a post I started a while ago here and some more discussion on the subject:
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97188&highlight=HDTV

...and another here:

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114007&highlight=HDTV

One other thing, you can get HD signal over the air for free, I haven't tried it, but I hear the picture is better than Cable because Cable is stealing part of your signal by piggy backing additonal digital signals on the bandwith. IMO that's a big time scam on us. I have not tried satellite, so I can't speak for or against it. Because my broadband comes in on cable I use the cable signal for TV. I may consider a change to fiber optic if it makes it down my street because I am unhappy with the cable piggy backing.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
trooper113 said:
I think there's some misunderstanding here. I believe all TV broadcasts will be in digital mode rather than analog mode starting in 2009. HD is a non-issue in this matter. I also understand that analog TVs can receive programming after the change to digital programming by means of a digital/analog converter.

We think HD is great, especially watching sports. We have a Mits 52" DLP TV.

Your so on the money Trooper! @gree:

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
There must be something wrong with your system, SWM. I've got a big rear projection HD TV. The difference between "regular" definition and "high" definition is stunning. On football broadcasts the grass is a green blur on regular and you can see individual blades of grass on high.

Lefty

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
PR3VS56 said:
When we first got ours I was blown away by the detail. I'm used to it now, but some of the Discovery Channel shows still blow my mind.
I forgot about Discovery HD and National Geographic HD....truly outstanding!

DJW is correct....there are several ways to not have a good HD picture.....the equipment you buy and the way your components are wired (and quality of wiring components) are two of the big ones.

Besides cable, we also have an HD antenna. Though it's limited in range, the pic is excellent.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Lefty said:
There must be something wrong with your system, SWM. I've got a big rear projection HD TV. The difference between "regular" definition and "high" definition is stunning. On football broadcasts the grass is a green blur on regular and you can see individual blades of grass on high.

Lefty
I think both you and DJW are probably right but I have no idea how to begin to correct it...I "PM'd" DJW as he suggested to see if there's a simple fix...ya gotta be careful of what ya offer around here!!! :roflback:

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
I think both you and DJW are probably right but I have no idea how to begin to correct it...I "PM'd" DJW as he suggested to see if there's a simple fix...ya gotta be careful of what ya offer around here!!! :roflback:
It's obvious from his post that DJW knows a hell of a lot more about this than I do, but the first question I would ask is do you have HD cabling from your cable/satellite box to your TV?

Lefty

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
A note on buying a new set

DJW said:
Lastly, do you go plasma, LCD, or DLP (projection)? You will get a lot of opinions on that subject, I'll simply say I went LCD, but you should look at other people's TVs in their own homes (running 1080P with a 1080P media) and decide for yourself. Don't go by what you see at the store, you need to see the pictures in a real world setting, ie: somebody's living room.
It sounds like DJW is a tech-head like me!

He went into more detail than I intended, but he is spot-on. He also brought up an excellent point (quoted above) as to "what's the best set". When someone goes shopping for a set, the stores generally don't want you playing with the settings much and they have most of the sets under flourescent lighting (by far the worst). Just take a look in Sams Club as an example.

When the sets are not in crappy lighting, it is done on purpose in a lot of cases since they are the more expensive units (read profit and commission). They may not have any beter specs but look better since they are in more natural lighting and have a better input, resulting in a more apealing picture.

The "best" unit on the market today is the one that looks the best to you. Some prefer a warmer picture, some may like it brighter, some sets do a better job that others at re-sizing a 4:3 source (standard TV pics) to 16:9 (standard widescreen format). It's all in the eye of the beholder. My personal preference is an older tech rear-projection set (specifically from Toshiba) since the color depth, warmth of picture and how well they re-produce blacks (well, shades of gray actually). Again, this is a personal preference (or pet-peeve if you like).

When looking at a set, try to look at the type of programming you prefer (take a few favorite DVDs with you) but pay particular attention to lower-light scenes and scenes with a lot of shadows. The current DLP sets have had problems with this in particular but the technology is improving. Most video sources you will see in the stores are very bright nature scenes or something animated since they show vibrant color (the sets stregnth) not darker scenes (their weakness). If you can't see much detail and the set can't be adjusted to pull the detail out, you may want to look at another set. The Matrix movies, the Star Wars episodes I-III and Armageddon actually are some of my favorites since they put the sets thru it's paces. Keep in mind these DVDs ARE NOT actually HD (1080i/p) in resolution, but since 99.99% of the DVDs are lower resolution, you should view what you have since you will put this in YOUR house. The picture quality will also be determined by the DVD player to some extent, so keep that in mind. Make sure the same DVD player is feeding the different sets (even if they have to un-hook it and move it from set-to-set) so you can compare apples to apples.

Just my -2$en#e-

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
John
Something is wrong with your TV. I have a sharp 1080 and the difference is unbelievable, like night and day. It gets to the point were HD is all you want to watch.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
mori55 said:
John
Something is wrong with your TV. I have a sharp 1080 and the difference is unbelievable, like night and day. It gets to the point were HD is all you want to watch.

I agree. Watching a Packer game in HD is amazing. As are all HD programs. I don't have cable but all the local stations now broadcast in HD. I didn't realize this until I bought an HD TV but it was a pleasant surprise. They zoomed in on a ball during a game once and I could see the texture and scrathes on the ball, like I was holding it in my hand. TV people, particularly newscasters do not like HD. It shows all their blemishes and makes them look like actual people, ugly!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts