V-Twin Forum banner

241 - 260 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
They can close the doors for all I care. The value of my old bikes will go thru the roof. Harley doesn't support the Evos anymore , let alone the Shovels , Pans , Knucks and Flatties they show on their $50 t-shirts and $35 calanders. Heritage and pride come after profit.

The aftermarket companies and independent shops , who Harley tried to sue out of existence back in the 90's , make parts of superior quality for most models back to 1935.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,386 Posts
They can close the doors for all I care. The value of my old bikes will go thru the roof. Harley doesn't support the Evos anymore , let alone the Shovels , Pans , Knucks and Flatties they show on their $50 t-shirts and $35 calanders. Heritage and pride come after profit.

The aftermarket companies and independent shops , who Harley tried to sue out of existence back in the 90's , make parts of superior quality for most models back to 1935.
What kind of support can you get from Ford for an old Flathead? I wonder what parts GM still produces for PowerGlides?

joe

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,386 Posts
How I hated those 'Glides.
How come? I never had trouble with them. AFAIK, they're still popular with drag racers.

joe

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,386 Posts
No , but GM doesn't sue or intimidate aftermarket companies that do.
True, but those're 2 different arguments. The abandonment of "obsolete" products is inherent in ANY product oriented business; which is why I only questioned that aspect.

joe

·
Premium Member
728 Posts

I traded off my Ironhead yesterday. The salesman asked me what I had to trade, I said my Ironhead. He goes "huh"? Then I said I had an old Sportster. Then he asked what year, I said 84 1/2, with a perplexed looked he came back "An 84", I said "No, and 84 1/2, there is a difference". Then he asked if it was an 883 or 1200. It told him it was a 1000. He looked at me like I had a 3rd eye or something. I was enjoying my self with this so called "Harley Davidson expert".

·
Registered
15,771 Posts
I traded off my Ironhead yesterday. The salesman asked me what I had to trade, I said my Ironhead. He goes "huh"? Then I said I had an old Sportster. Then he asked what year, I said 84 1/2, with a perplexed looked he came back "An 84", I said "No, and 84 1/2, there is a difference". Then he asked if it was an 883 or 1200. It told him it was a 1000. He looked at me like I had a 3rd eye or something. I was enjoying my self with this so called "Harley Davidson expert".
Should have gotten video.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Funny, I've had similar conversations with one of the younger sales guys at our local HD boutique. It is fun LOL.

Just wonder'n... do you have a 3rd eye??

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Funny, I've had similar conversations with one of the younger sales guys at our local HD boutique. It is fun LOL.

Just wonder'n... do you have a 3rd eye??
Just how many people would you expect to know what a 1984 Sporty was. A bike from when many of them were ever born.
I meet people often that do not know what my EVO is.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Just how many people would you expect to know what a 1984 Sporty was. A bike from when many of them were ever born.
I refer to a recent conversation with a local HD sales guy was about a late 70's FLH they had for sale. I expect a sales rep at a Harley store to know at least a little about the product, past and present considering that they sell both used and new Harleys. Hey, I didn't really care, just thought the deer in the headlights look was amusing is all.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
The guy was in his 40's to 50's. If someone works in a Harley Shop, they should at least know the evolution time frame of each engine.

I had a similar conversation when Buell was part of HD the first year Buell came out with the 1125RR and the local dealer had them out at Sam's Club with the other HD. When I looked at the 1125, one of the sales man came over we chatted about it. I then said, I can't believe and impressed that Buell went with a Bombardier Recreational Products engine and not a Sportster. The salesman then looked at me and said, you know Harley owns Buell and it is a Harley engine. I informed that him that the 1125 has a Rotax engine built by Bombardier. The sales man had the look of confusion.

My point being, if you are selling a product, research needs to done.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
The guy was in his 40's to 50's. If someone works in a Harley Shop, they should at least know the evolution time frame of each engine.

I had a similar conversation when Buell was part of HD the first year Buell came out with the 1125RR and the local dealer had them out at Sam's Club with the other HD. When I looked at the 1125, one of the sales man came over we chatted about it. I then said, I can't believe and impressed that Buell went with a Bombardier Recreational Products engine and not a Sportster. The salesman then looked at me and said, you know Harley owns Buell and it is a Harley engine. I informed that him that the 1125 has a Rotax engine built by Bombardier. The sales man had the look of confusion.

My point being, if you are selling a product, research needs to done.
Ever ride one that dam thing was fast. Heck even when Eric was in with HD many did not know it. I wish Eric well even today.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can hear my Harley when I lay down to sleep. I think about ti when I park it and have a beer. No other bike talks to me like that.

·
155" R&R TwinCam
3,437 Posts
In all my years have never walked into a Harley dealership looking to make the sales people look foolish. I always knew exactly what I needed to know and asked questions that made sense. As far as older machines have never met anyone who knows it all the ones that think they do are most certainly blowing smoke and it's always obvious.

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
I stopped into the Harley shop 10 years ago to see about some parts for my Pan.. They looked bewildered and told me they wouldn't even know where to get parts for it. Now they hardly work on Evo's..

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I stopped into the Harley shop 10 years ago to see about some parts for my Pan.. They looked bewildered and told me they wouldn't even know where to get parts for it. Now they hardly work on Evo's..
Sadly true. But I can walk in to a place down the road and buy virtually any part for a 50 year old Briggs & Straton engine. Wish they would support the old ones much better, cuz I like the old ones.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Try to get a 10 year old Honda worked on. In today's world 10 years is a life time. There are dealers with older techs that can and do work on older HD. With everyone making after market Parts for EVO and the like cheap HD could never keep supplying them.
Comparing a briggs and straton is silly same darn engine. They made for a life time in most ways .
You can get parts for older HD's This is where a skilled and properly run Indy shop has merit. Last week I checked out one that opened around here. I wanted to know if the operator was legit. Of just another inked up pot smoking drunk that thinks he could work on HD. I now have a name and will check on his claims and past. In looking around his shop He had 4 EVO's in various stages of repair, some used parts hanging on the wall.
SS got rich making HD parts aftermarket , notice they don't offer as many or as quick a supply now as they did. Cost big money to keep inventory on parts that may take years to sell. And of course no one wants to pay for the parts either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I acknowledge everyone on the open road, regardless of the brand they ride. There are times it is not reciprocated... it's ail good. I'm on the open road to ride.

Brand loyalty, I agree there are some who are hardcore to the brand. However, they're also others such as Suzuki & Kawasaki owners who are very much the same way too. The remaining shop around, and do alittle research on products so as to purchase the best possible product at the best possible price. Sometimes it so happens to be their brand.

241 - 260 of 275 Posts