V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what it's purpose was when I was 17, but my son says it's because of the A/C in his car...

We were doing a tire pressure check, opened the glove box to check the manual for correct pressure, and there's the Visine in his glove box. I asked him point blank if he was smoking pot, he says no way, never has and never will. I want to believe him, but, c'mon... he uses it because the A/C bothers his eyes? Like, you can't turn it off and open the windows? What 17 year old kid would be driving in his car with the A/C on, and say to himself I better stop and get some Visine!!!

I want to believe him, he's a good kid, and no other obvious signs. What would you do?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does he wear contacts? With the contacts the eyes can dry out faster.

I know what visine was for when I was his age and it wasn't for the air conditioning. I wouldn't accuse solely based on that though if you don't see any other warning signs or issues. It won't be long and he will be an adult and on his own making his own decisions. Sit him down for a good conversation about pros and cons. Discussion and not lecture. If he is a smart kid he will get it, if not right away at some point. I had my issues at his age. It took me a bit but I worked my way through and am wiser for the experience.

Lots of luck

Jim

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Have you ever smoked?? I did plenty, and even though I don't anymore I know immediatley when someone around me is high. There are obvious signs besides the red eyes.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
You do what you are doing...Stay on him about it. Tell him you trust him and the fact that he is being honest with you and you would be very disappointed to find out otherwise. No matter how much he may roll his eyes continue the quest to keep him drug and alcohol free for as long as you can. They do listen despite the eye rolls and aw Dads you may get. At some point you can only hope he hears it enough that he has the good judgement to make wise informed decisions. Alcohol either not at all or in moderation and no drugs. This parent thing is a tough road that never ends no matter how old they get.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Just from your brief post he sounds like a good kid. Be thankful that he isn't involved in some worse things. I remember when my I learned that my Son was smoking cigarettes. I was so disappointed and I made the mistake of telling him that I would have preferred to hear that he was smoking pot instead of butts! He likes his pot too, but I do as well. He's a good young man of 23 years old now, with the exception of a few traffic violations.

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
Shaw_2112 said:
Have you ever smoked?? I did plenty, and even though I don't anymore I know immediatley when someone around me is high. There are obvious signs besides the red eyes.
A good physical indicator is the eyelid droop where the smoker appears as if dental floss would work as a blindfold. Visine doesn't affect the eyelid droop. Must admit, and I was a long time doper, the A/C gambit is a new one. . . . I think he could have come up with a better one.

Lefty

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
did I miss something?

I never heard of anyone using Visine to mask smoking. I was in a large group (most of college) and no one ever mentioned it. I could usually tell just by picking up the aroma stuck in the clothes. what's his car smell like?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Lefty said:
A good physical indicator is the eyelid droop where the smoker appears as if dental floss would work as a blindfold. Visine doesn't affect the eyelid droop. Must admit, and I was a long time doper, the A/C gambit is a new one. . . . I think he could have come up with a better one.

Lefty
Yeah smell is another one, if ya don't know what dope smells like it's has a pungent sweetish smell. If he's drownin himself in cologne or body spray look out. I know alot of people who smoke cigs right after gettin high to cover the odor too...

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OH YEAH, I'm all too familiar with the smell. I could tell you where it came from in 1/2 second with one whiff. Smoked tons in my day. Heck, I'd be high around my parents/family on a regular basis. They never knew -- VERY conservative family. The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree as they say, which is why the A/C story is such a bust in my mind. Sounds exactly like something I'd make up spur of the moment. Goodness, when I think back...

Ya know, he does use body spray. There are some kids he hangs with that he told me smoke, but he maintains that he's rock solid against it for himself. Maybe the V was for one of his friends? The car does have a deodorant hanger in it. None of this is absolute, just suspicious. If it wasn't such a big part of my past, with all the clever coverups/lies, I probably wouldn't give it a 2nd thought.

I really don't want to snoop around - I'd feel like I was disrespecting him. If you're so inclined, would you mind saying a prayer for my son & I with this? Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
Check the back of his tongue. It will be green with heat bumps if he's been smoking weed. This is more reliable than watching for him to look sleepy.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Hell Man, I am sorry but your a father first, friend not at this point in life (17)!
If disrespecting him by insuring you are being a good parent bothers you, think about what kind of disrespect he may have in other situations, like in rehab. Maybe a little drastic sounding but then again maybe not?
We have all done things but at some point we either change our ways or we don't. I have friends to this day who smoke pot with there grown kids. Do I agree, NO! I also have friends who dabble and consider it fun. Have I, hell yes! I have never liked pot, makes me paranoid, I was a more expensive dabbler. I have watched the cost of those that say pot or this or that does not affect me one bit. Sure it doesn't. As an adult I dabble no more. As a father, I guess I must disrespect my boys then! I see friends I have not seen in twenty or more years who still dabble and I do not care what anybody says, it has affected them in some way. Daily maybe not so noticable but over the long haul much more noticable. Hey to each his own, but as far as I am concerned I have seen both sides of the coin. Keep your eye on him for Loves sake!

I really don't want to snoop around - I'd feel like I was disrespecting him. If you're so inclined, would you mind saying a prayer for my son & I with this? Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

·
~~~~~~~~~
178 Posts
This is no big deal in my opinion. If I were you I'd be careful to not let this divide the two of you in any way.

If it's just a little weed, you'd be considered lucky compared to some others I know.

Try and just stay close to him, good luck guy.

:)

·
If we gotta wear helmets
210 Posts
It is up to you how important the issue itself is - but being a good parent concerned about the welfare of your children always trumps being their friend.

Too many "friends" and not nearly enough parents out there these days.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
dhwingert said:
Too many "friends" and not nearly enough parents out there these days.
100% right. Being a good parent is much harder than being a friend.

·
'04 FLHRPI
330 Posts
I can't believe what I'm reading here..."check his tounge for bumps". etc. Come on. We were all young once. I'm 37 now, and I no longer smoke weed. And I turned out ok. Never killed anyone, never robbed a bank, or crashed my car/bike into anything. If your son IS smoking weed, be thankfull he's chosen that instead of crack, or any of the other numerous harmful drugs out there. Here in Canada, weed is considered 'decriminalized'. Its not legal, but you're not going to jail anymore. You'll probably be able to keep the joint you have, if you're searched. I still hang out with guys who smoke weed on a regular basis, and we all have good jobs and adult resposibilities. Your son will be fine. Personally, I would be worried if you found empty alcohol bottles in his car or room. But for now, just buy more snacks, 'cause he probably got the munchies.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
As most have said, talk to him. Give him another chance to be honest with you.

Hand him a home drug test this weekend. His reaction will tell you as much as the test. He lives in your house your rules.

I would be more concerned with being truthfull than the pot.

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
stanley4512 said:
I can't believe what I'm reading here..."check his tounge for bumps". etc. Come on. We were all young once. I'm 37 now, and I no longer smoke weed. And I turned out ok. Never killed anyone, never robbed a bank, or crashed my car/bike into anything. If your son IS smoking weed, be thankfull he's chosen that instead of crack, or any of the other numerous harmful drugs out there. Here in Canada, weed is considered 'decriminalized'. Its not legal, but you're not going to jail anymore. You'll probably be able to keep the joint you have, if you're searched. I still hang out with guys who smoke weed on a regular basis, and we all have good jobs and adult resposibilities. Your son will be fine. Personally, I would be worried if you found empty alcohol bottles in his car or room. But for now, just buy more snacks, 'cause he probably got the munchies.
I don't think anyone is saying that the boy is the anti-christ. At the same time, weed is illegal and you can go to jail for that crap around here. As a parent of a teenage boy, I'll check his f'in urine if that what it takes for me to guide him through this period in life. Buy him more munchies? Come on dude. That doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
If you really want to know, get a sample of his hair had have it tested.

There is not way to fake that test.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
He's seventeen friggin years old FFS! A young man old enough to fight terrorists, drive a motor vehicle, start a family, etc. Treat him as such.

(I believe he doesn't even need your permission to quit school)

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Visine in the glove box?? No question about it... He tokes.
There could be a lot worse things he could be doing. But, ya still gotta treat it for what it is. It is an ILLEGAL substance and you MUST have a ZERO tolerance policy. It may be hard to catch him. Don't let him know you are onto him. But, be aware. If he comes home stoned, you gotta take his license....for MONTHS, not weeks! Punishment must be swift, severe, and NOT physical....even if it inconveniences you.

It could be worse.

Good luck,

Bob

1 - 20 of 56 Posts