V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the proper hand signal to advise/warn opposite direction fellow bikers that they are about to encounter police. I know you can always flash hi beam headlight but that doesn't always work. Some guys look at you like you're on fire and I know they don't get it (so I don't do that anymore lest someone inadvertantly heads for the "weeds"). I saw an "official" biker hand signal reference book once, but that was a long time ago. Can't remember details anymore!
How about an answer and any other pertinant comments.
Cheers, here's to drinking fine scotch in Nova Scotia!
BigR. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
The signal I remeber seeing is placing your hand on top of your hat and rotating your index finger...I guess to mimic a rotating blue light

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
The signal I remeber seeing is placing your hand on top of your hat and rotating your index finger...I guess to mimic a rotating blue light
My hat always flew off when riding. Something having to do with wind, I suspect. So I started wearing an actual helmet, or nothing on my head at all. And when I would rotate my finger, people kept giving me obscene gestures. So I stopped doing that too.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Theyusually don't need a warning, cause I am the one pulled over.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
in helmet law states like ca.,where you are often hassled for non-legal helmets, patting the top of your helmet is the most obvious to me. riders out here give you so many different wierdass waves it's hard to tell with anything else.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
what's funny, and someone had mentioned this here before, is

Point at ground = Careful, there's something on the road.

that's what half the riders do when passing you, that's their hello wave.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what Grey Rider posted above is good, but what about if you just need to stop for a P?
I thought that was a pat on the top of the head? No?
Cheers, BigR.

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
spgtti said:
... patting the top of your helmet is the most obvious to me
This is the signal I was taught and the one I use. Pat the top of your helmet to signal "police ahead". I was told it imitates the "rollers" on the top of their cruisers.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
HD-LUX said:
This is the signal I was taught and the one I use. Pat the top of your helmet to signal "police ahead". I was told it imitates the "rollers" on the top of their cruisers.
Pat the top of yer head and rub yer tummy means cop ahead in donut shop...

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
"Tap top of helmet, or hand on helmet Cop nearby (This signal is designed to be both noticeable and undecipherable by the cop) Many motorcyclists don't know what this means. Almost everyone knows the slowdown signal in the above row."

I had to laugh when I saw this on Grayrider's link, because it's the signal most people I ride with use and it's "undecipherable to the cop." :roflback: (those stupid cops!!)

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Pat your head for police. Pee when you get gas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Back in the day, it used to be the "V" sign, but then came the confusion with the peace movement in the 60's and 70's. I've used hand-twirlin' a lot to mimic the bear's bubble-gum machine, and before the lights on deal, there was a whole lot of light flashin' to get the oncoming bike's attention.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts