V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear folks talking about having crashes and laying their bikes down like its a big deal.Hell if I told every time i laid mine donwn it would be a novel.If you can tell about it the same day it aint that bad get over it.If you get laid up tell about it. I dont mean to be a ass hole but there are 2 kinds of bikers ........those who have went down and those that will go down. I HAVE BEEN THERE DONE THAT .And to quote another saying what dont kill you makes you stronger(smarter) Live and learn I still hate newbies.........spent 4 hours working on the hog today. I know........***** ***** *****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
Been down so many times I think I've logged more miles horizontal than some guys got upright. Haven't been down in the street in many years but I remember one common element of all my crashes: my only concern was for the bike. I remember body surfing asphalt through a red light and six lanes of state highway thinking only,"Damn, the bike was running so good, what's THIS gonna cost?" while cars whizzed past me before and aft. I was absolutely convinced I was immortal when I was a kid

Dean

·
Registered
629 Posts
Guess I try to go down so little, that each one is a special occasion :D

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Guess I should take a tumble just ta make ya feel good huh?:confused:

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Hey ftwflh,I'll try to be polite as I can here,but is there a point to this thread? Should I go down to the local Ace hardware store & get some ten penny nails to eat with my cornflakes?

One thing I enjoy about this forum is its willingness to help so called newbies.I for one will gladly help out a person who is just starting out.Do you remember the feeling of owning your first bike? I sure as hell do,& I appreciated the help I got when I was green.

I've had family who wore colors & I've had the honor & pleasure to associate with club members.My point? The old tough guy,biker,routine is a lifestyle very few can live for any length of time.Stuff catches up with you,I've seen it first hand.My best friend growing up,a prospect at the time,hit a cement wall on his hardtail & I'll never forget the first time I saw him afterwards.He basically became a 10 year old after that crash.I lost him forever.

So count me as one who takes going down seriously,something I try to avoid at all costs.
guido

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I've gotta ride with Guido on this one. I hope to never have the attitude that crashing is no big thing. Seems to me that carelessness would come into play once you develop a "no big deal" way of thinking. I've never crashed in the streets but many times in the dirt. Torn up clothes, torn up bike, bumps, bruises, cuts, scrapes, etc are things I try to avoid. Maybe I read this wrong. Hang on, I'll read it again.
No, I read it right. Still don't agree. When I was in Nam, I developed this very same "no big deal" attitude about dieing. I was fairly convinced that I wasn't going to go home when my tour was up. So convinced that I even signed up for another tour when the first was up. I should have died many times. Did lots of stupid things-volunteered for lots of stupid things. It was the attitude. In restrospect...I think: "You stupid a$$ed SOB...what the hell were you thinking?" Before you go out and get careless on your scoot and develop a "no big deal" attitude, stop and think about who is going to take care of your family when you eventually get creamed.

·
Registered
684 Posts
ftwflh,

Your post gives a hint that you may be somewhat of a newbie yourself. If that's true, then you have an opportunity to learn a great deal from this forum. If it's not, you really should change the attitude. Life is too short not to give a sh!t.

Ride safe and enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
380 Posts
the only thing i can relate to when i was young and dumb i was also 10 feet tall and bullet proof. but today that is not the case. going down is not fun so ride streight.

·
Registered
695 Posts
ftwflh,
I have read your post over and over, trying to get your point. Let me double check -- is it that going down (crashing your bike) is no big deal?

·
Registered
906 Posts
WTF is the point???? Personally I don't believe the whole I-crashed-my-bike-so-your-destined-to-also crap. If it makes you feel better to think every motorcyclist is destined to crash because you did, fine.

So what if you laid your bike down, $hit happens -you said yourself, get over it.

there are 2 kinds of bikers, those who've gone down, and those that might. Sorry if that bruises.

-Peace

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some of you understand what I was tring to mean.When we are young and wreck it makes you take more caution and be wiser.But it will happen sooner or later.And we should be prepared for it. I got the idea from a group i am in and it is so full of "newbies" on fake harleys that it is a joke.By the way I have been living the lifestyle for over 25 years and had my share of spills.Sorry if I pissed anyone off but hey look at all the responses.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hey Brad,
You haven't pissed me off but I'm trying to 'get the point'
Work with me but I think you mean:

Since I haven't spilled, I ain't schitt.
I ride a new scoot, so I ain't schitt.
I've been riding only since 1998, so I ain't schitt.
I started on a 'Fake Harley' (Kawasaki) , so I ain't schitt.
I am a Suburban Motorcycle Enthusiast, not a 'biker', so I ain't schitt.

I'm right? Yes?
Like I said, I'm not pissed at your comments,this is a BBBBIIIIGGGG stretch, but could it be that nobody gives a Flying Phuck here on this forum about the "image?"
Peace Bro.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Well I have no real problem with the opening post. Over the course of time, yes I believe everyone will at least dump the scoot once. It happens.

One thing that I don't quite understand is a hatred for "newbies."

While they are not my favorite folks to ride with, I do believe that in order for the "Lifestyle" to survive, we older guys must be willing to pass on the traditions we hold dear. That is our responsibility.

When folks dump the scoot or hit a Kia Sportage because the lame ass in the cage did not look, there is nothing wrong with talking about it ESPECIALLY in a medium such as this. There is much to be learned from every experience and passing on info may help someone from getting creamed.

Again, I have no real problem with your post, but 25 years experience is a gold mine to those young pups coming up. Give em a break and remember your roots. All of us old guys were "newbies" at one time and yes we have to earn our bones and respect. But thank God for the older guys back then that lent a hand and offered sound advice.

I just did a run from Peoria to Houston last weekend. Hey! Illinois is pretty cool riding country! ;)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Hey, Do I ever have to become an old guy?:D

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
JFScheck said:
Hey, Do I ever have to become an old guy?:D

Only if ya play your cards right! LOL!

·
Registered
629 Posts
ftwflh said:
I got the idea from a group i am in and it is so full of "newbies" on fake harleys that it is a joke.
How many here have been one of these?

I am new, I ride a "Fake" Harley (hey, the heart is HD :D). At least I already know I am a joke. How many have/had a Kawi/Zuki/Yami/etc in thier stable?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
When I stared riding on the street when I was 15, I was only into preformance type bikes. The Harley's did not have as much apeal as the low 12 sec Kow's. hence I had more "close calls" than spills. The odds are that some type of mishap happens to all riders but that can be a loss of ballence and the ride falls over ect. We have just as good a stot being in a car reck as bike reck for us "sane "riders that is. The thing is some one's misshap might be someone eles life saver. So I say keep them stories coming the info could make someone a better rider.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
wow, what an opening post. I have to shake my head from time to time but i had to bang my head on this one.

For all the fishermen out there, i'll be in Utah on the green river and provo river all next week flyfishing. Can't wait. Wish i had my bike for that area as well.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
flycasterjoe said:
wow, what an opening post.
I was thinking about someone elses opening posts while in work today.
VRSCA's and ka, ka,...ki..,,, Automobiles!!!

And guess what? Your sig gif popped into my head!!!

small world eeh? :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts