V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many places about how the FXR is such a great bike, and that the Dyna will never compare. So, my question is, what's so great about the FXR? Personally, I don't care for the styling, but am I missing something about the mechanics of the bike or the handling?

Maybe a little history about the FXR would be in order too, what years it was made, did Willie G. design it, why'd they quit making it if it was so great, etc?

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
It handled very good, and took abuse fairly well also. I believe the dyna is less expensive to manufacture(two rubber mounts as opposed to three). The road kings and electra glides still use the three place robber mount system. I think the dyna started in 95-96 ?? 2000 was the last FXR as in the FXR4, I would like to see a twin cam FXR !!

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
I owned a '90 FXR Low Rider. Had the EVO engine, bike ran and handled well. I always felt I was sitting on top of the bike. That was in comparison to the 83 FXE. But, to each his/her own, a buddy of mine still has his, '91 and think its the greatest.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
The Dyna was introduced in '91. FXRs demise was in '94, resurected in '99 as limited edition FXR2, subsequent FXR3 & FXR4 models followed. These are highly desireable collector bikes that all rock but the yellow FXR4 Krusty the Clown edition. Not sure of the year of introduction but I believe it was in the mid eighties just before the intro of the Evo. '83 ?

SS

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
.........excuse any inaccuracies;

1982 - 1983 -FXR, FXRS Super Glide II, FXSB Belt, FXRT Tour Glide (shovels)

FXR Super Glide II 1982-1994 Rubber Mount Engine
FXRS Super Glide II Low Rider 1982-1994 Evolution Engine in 84 belt drive in 85
FXRS-Con Low Rider Convertible 1989-1994 Removable Windshield & Bags
FXLR Low Rider Custom 1987-1994 21" Front Wheel
FXRT Sport Touring 1983-1992 Frame Mounted Fairing enclosed chain final drive
FXRD Sport Touring Deluxe 1986 Sound System
1984 - FXRDG – only year
FXRS-SP Low Rider Sport 1987-1994 Dual Front Disk, Air Suspension
FXR-2 FXR 1999 Better Brakes
? FXR-3 FXR 2000 Say Goodbye to this Model (? based on what the fellas say, this entry might be off)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Norman , the FXR and FXRS were introduced in 1982 and were a part of normal production untill 1994 , they have 3 rubber mountings as opposed to the Dyna's 2 . The FXR handled particulary well , especially the FXR SP .

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
What did the "R" stand for?:D

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The reason the FXR was so good (and the Evo as well) was that it was produced under intense competition from Japan and was meant to be a superior frame, as opposed to the Dyna, which was only supposed to look like the old 4 speed frame. By that time Harley felt they could put anything on the market and sell it, as long as it looked right. They were not completely right on that point, as the sales figures for the Dynas are poor compared to the Softails. The rigidity of the FXR frame meant that they could out accelerate as well as out handle the Softails because of less flex in the drivetrain.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
hogg831,

Great job on the history especially the FXRDG, I have found not many are aware of this special edition.

fourhour,

The "R" stood for rubber mount!!:)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I used to own an '84 FXRS "Lowglide". (Honest, that's what the title said.) It had the Evo 1340 engine and a dry clutch w/ 5 speed tranny, chain drive.

·
Registered
396 Posts
It was my understanding that the same thing that made the FXR a great frame (very rigid) also made it very costly and time consuming to produce (lots of complex bends). I've never worked on an FXR but have heard that the design also makes some of the components difficult to access.

When demand for HDs started to outpace production in the early 90s I suppose HD was looking for a cheap, easy-to-make frame that also allowed them to intoduce a new model line. Enter the Dyna. Once the Dyna popularity grew the FXR was phased out.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
twincamzz,

You are so right, the evo was introduced in late 1984. All of these machines were equipped with the rear chain drive and 5 speed trans., don't forget that nice 1 1/4 frame, and smooth acceleration through the gears up to whatever rpm you decided to go.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Broken Spoke, Thanks for clearing that up!:D

1 - 20 of 140 Posts