V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently finished my first build.04 dyna 95",andrews 37's,SE flat tops,jetted cv carb,stock cam drive,big boyz street port milled to 80.0cc for 9.8compression with .030" gskt,and twin tec tc88a.Started right up after the build and ran ok.Rode about 300 miles and went to have it tuned by someone recommended by some bro's on this site.Man am I disappointed with the numbers,they're really low.59.43hp and 84.70tq.Let me say 1st I ain't blamin anyone's workmanship but mine.Checked cold compression and it's 165-170 wot a/c on.Big boyz calc says it should be about 188, not too far off.Any help appreciated,thanks in advance

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Sumping or cams off a tooth or teeth. Unless you got a really crappy exhaust...

What did the tuner think?

You can warm the motor up and pull the case plug(carefully) and measure the oil that drips out. If more than 6ish oz's you got a oil pump or oring issue.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The exhaust is not a performance exhaust,V&H big shots with baffles,but will it cause THAT much power loss?The tuner thought I may have been off a tooth thinking it was gear drive.When I reassured him it was chain drive he moved on.Then afterward he agreed he expected better #'s too.Pull the case plug?I'm not sure I follow.You can't mean drain plug...can you? Can I just check oil pressure?

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
That exhaust shouldn't effect top end hp that much, it may even add a little on top. Something has to be off, your set up should be close to 100 hp. Were did you set your ignition, mode/intitial/slope?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I set it to what the directions said for stock to slightly modified. Dial on five for initial and seven slope.

·
Livin' Free Indeed
1,052 Posts
I used to have the exact set-up on my '02 FXDL except I had old Dewey's heads. With that exhaust it made 98HP/104TQ. DTT was set at 0-3-2-6-2. You got something else going on.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If my timing was f'd up would it run with the numbers I got? Don't forget stock chain tensioner set up.

·
Registered
938 Posts
not sure it would run too well at all with a gear off a tooth, 1 tooth is pretty signicant with the stock drive. look for sumping, the plug we are talking about is a pipe plug under the crankcase not oil bag.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Recently finished my first build.04 dyna 95",andrews 37's,SE flat tops,jetted cv carb,stock cam drive,big boyz street port milled to 80.0cc for 9.8compression with .030" gskt,and twin tec tc88a.Started right up after the build and ran ok.Rode about 300 miles and went to have it tuned by someone recommended by some bro's on this site.Man am I disappointed with the numbers,they're really low.59.43hp and 84.70tq.Let me say 1st I ain't blamin anyone's workmanship but mine.Checked cold compression and it's 165-170 wot a/c on.Big boyz calc says it should be about 188, not too far off.Any help appreciated,thanks in advance
A/C on...... does that mean the air cleaner was on, if so, your ccp # will be low because you must lift the slide with a screwdriver or something to give it air to suck in....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A/C on...... does that mean the air cleaner was on, if so, your ccp # will be low because you must lift the slide with a screwdriver or something to give it air to suck in....
Yes the air cleaner was on.I knew the reading would be a little lower than the calculated,I just checked to see if I was in the ballpark.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not sure it would run too well at all with a gear off a tooth, 1 tooth is pretty signicant with the stock drive. look for sumping, the plug we are talking about is a pipe plug under the crankcase not oil bag.
I will check this.Does this plug have a name because I will look in the service manual for it.Can you be a little more specific,I don't wanna check or remove the wrong plug.A pic maybe????

·
Registered
938 Posts
there will only be one vertical allen plug below crankcase. look under cam chest area, you will see the paasage leading to the oil pump. the plug will be found there.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there will only be one vertical allen plug below crankcase. look under cam chest area, you will see the paasage leading to the oil pump. the plug will be found there.
Remove this plug while running or shut down?And if the oil that comes out is more than 6ish oz's, I realign my oil pump and check the o ring?

·
Gearhead
1,114 Posts
If you are standing on the side of the bike, in front if the cam cover...lay down on your side on the ground with your head in line with the cam cover and your feet toward the rear of the bike...Now look under the bike between the frame rails you will see the bottom of the crank case (The crank is uncased in it) when you are looking at it you will see a plug on the bottom of the crank case that takes an Allen wrench to remove. Be careful removing the plug as they can become hard to get out over time. The pic is my bike and the cases are S&S. The plug is basically in the same place. Its the one on the far side so all the oil can drain out (right side of pic) the one that is on the machined surface. The oil pump sucks oil out of the bottom of the crankcase.If the oil pump is not doing it's job the oil will "pool" in the bottom of the crank case causing a drag on the crank which means a loss of power or "sumping" . There should not be more than 5-6 oz oil in the case. use a mesureing cup when you pull the plug.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
You should check the cams to be sure they're aligned right. Mine was off a tooth and it ran fairly well... just pinged and couldn't tune it out...too much ccp Brought it to 3 different dyno guys, all of them know their stuff.... none picked up on it.
Mine had too much comp., had good torque, but low hp. You may be off in the other direction, making it too soft all around.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It sounds like your cams might be a tooth backwards...as the 37s still close later on. so if you bring them back you can still build compression for torque, but probably blow your top. I have a question, did it feel like it had more power, or did it feel like what the numbers say? I am just wondering if the tuner might have slipped and put the wrong leads on the wrong spark plug cables or something. If the bike feels like it has more kick, then I might ask that. If it feels underpowered though I would go with the cam timing being off. Sumping that would rob 50 hp? Man, that's a lot of oil. Can you install the return/feed gears in the other way? I haven't tried that...so i don't know. Good luck.

Steel

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally checked for sumping.Bike sat about a week,f'n rain.Drained out about 6 oz's.Rode about 4 miles and checked warm,4oz's.Never thought an exhaust could cost me THAT much pwr/tq.Still have a hard time digesting that.Guess I'll check cam timing even though I triple checked during assy.To answer your question Steel, it has more power than before the mod's but not where it should be,although I never rode a 100tq wheel before.Disgusted but not quitting.Any other suggestions??

·
Registered
938 Posts
steel, i've had the sump issue, it will easily rob 50. oil temps sky rocket and the motor will be loud like it's working really hard but the bike feels like the brakes are stuck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts