V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Damn it, I have been telling everyone that for the past two months. Check out my posts! :eek:

Actually, I don't think anyone will know the TRUTH until this July 11th at the dealer show, but check out some of the previous threads, there sure does seem to be a few clues out there!

Since my delivery date for my Fatboy is August 27th, I'm getting pretty excited, but I will miss my ole' Super Glide, but my friend promises to take good care of her when he buys it...

So, back to the topic at hand, lets hope for the increase in displacement, and six gears would be cool! Just think, only a few days to know the truth! :D

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
JFScheck- Take your right hand, reach deep down in your pocket, pull out that crack pipe, and throw it as far as you can dude. In a year when all Harley has to do is show up with something with two wheels and a 100th anniversary emblem and easily sell every one they can produce...they are not going to throw in a free big bore and 6-speed.

If I'm wrong I'll buy you something chrome.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I too would agree with that, save the Big Bore and Tranny for '04 which would other wise be a "slow year" perhaps following the 100th anniversary stuff...

But, with everyone having larger displacements, and Victory announcing a new "better, cheaper, Hog" this August, perhaps this will force Harley to make the Big Bore move this year.

The "six speed" tranny caught me off guard a little....

We will all know in a few days :D

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
tick tick tick tick

And the days slowing creep by.

We'll all know in a few days. When the TC-88 was introduce, it was clearly designed to be a 95" platform. With that being said, I doubt we'll see many other real changes in '03. Why should H/D make other changes in '03? Every one of the bikes will sell. Now, '04, on the other hand, may be a big design change year because H/D will need something to draw in the buyers after the '03 splurge.

We'll all find out in a few days.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah we should know in a couple of days during the dealer show. I don't believe there will be any HUGE changes for 03. Colors were no big deal so why should anything else be any different. Now for the 04's?!?! I say EFI across the board for BT's thats almost a given. And maybe a vrod motor in a FL or Dyna.

calvin3

·
Registered
129 Posts
Why would they upgrade to 95 inches?? That would only increase the MSRP by a couple grand. That doesn't seem to be smart business, since the dealerships will mark most of these 03's up anyhow, right? Who will be purchasing a 21K bone stock Fatboy + whatever markup the dealerships make? Seems to me that they'd want to leave the 95 inches up to the individual.. Making these bikes more expensive isn't going to help sell more of them..Is it??
Calvin3.... Wadda ya think about that?

But I'll tell you one thing... If 95 inches was a factory option, that would be cool.. But it seems to me that it would not benefit HD one bit to make these bikes come with 95 inches..

nickp.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I don't know about Dealer Markups, but my 2003 Fatboy with Alarm (and audible siren) and two year warranty is going to be around 19050.00 (give or take a few bucks) out the door (Maryland tax, etc.).

I don't know if that is because I ordered it a few months back, or just lucky that my dealership is honest (Rockville Harley Davidson)...

I do know that my Sales person said "I would not be surprised if Harley Davidson raised the displacement of the engine this year, in fact I would hope so, because the 2003 Harley Davidson dealer markup is pretty high for just some special paints and badging"....

Again, I agree that Harley would not be pressed to increase displacement on a known good sales year (100th anniversary) but ya never know :)

So, in a few days we will know, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick :D

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I hate to sound cynical...but this is HD we're talking about so here goes.

Making them all 95 inches wouldn't add much manufacturing cost at all...when you are buying a half million pistons a year, ones that are a bit bigger aren't going to ammount to more than 5 bucks a bike. Same with all the other parts. The cost you pay to go big bore is mostly labor and parts that replace ones you are throwing away.

But 95 inch motors are harder on every other part of the bike and that would cause warranty costs to go up. Plus, you'd take away a nice income stream from the dealers who charge big dollars to go big bore. As long as they let the dealers make money on all the parts, clothes and service...they don't need to let them make so much on bikes. dealers who sell at MSRP are not getting rich on bike sales...they are getting rich on chrome, leather and trinket sales....and go-fast stuff.

Do any of you think any dealer is pushing HD to improve their stock-crap seats or asking them to make a little more chrome standard equipment?...I think not. Their boat payment depends on the bikes being "incomplete" from the factory. If I coulda done so, I'd have ordered a bike without a seat, headlight, handlebars, pegs, exhaust, air cleaner, and half a dozen other parts because they were all in the garbage (or on Ebay for peanuts) before or shortly after it left the dealer.

sorry....felt like a rant tonight....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.