V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rinehart true duals for dressers are becomming scarce. I've found a set that should be here next week for my new 95 build but it seems they are hard to find out there. I've been told that they are on a factory backorder, a national backorder and have been told that they are on a permanent backorder. Are they being re-engineered? Are they possibly being retrofitted with a converter type package in them to reflect the possibility of new more strengent EPA rules? I couldn't imagine that possibility. But then again, I couldn't have imagined the role of computers, and how techinical a damn car has gotten since 1980. :cool:

·
(hp x 5252) / rpm = :)
49 Posts
I may sell mine early next week if you are interested.....

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Mine are a little over a year old and have the chrome endcaps and quiet baffles. I'll sell the set for 599.99 with free shipping to the first yah hoo that wants em. Hurry, they won't last long at this price!;)

·
Smoke tires, not drugs.
46 Posts
I work at a dealership, and they haven't slowed down any here. Still selling like crazy, I just don't get it.

·
banal
486 Posts
No true knowledge, but after what I went through personally, my guess would be that they decided to quit making them for awhile until they could figure out how to make them competently, so they could quit spending a fortune on warranty replacements.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
RTFI (if they are up to date)

I purchased my Electra Glide Classic last November and had Reinhart True Duals installed before I picked it up. For the first two or three days after I took it home, everything was fine, then I started getting decel-popping.

I checked everything on the exhaust and found that the rear head pipe was leaking at the cylinder and tightened it. Everything was fine for about an hour of the next ride and then it started again. It became a continual cycle of having to tighten the pipe to the cylinder and I began carrying the wrenches to do it with me when I rode. Finally, I took the pipe off and went to Gatto's HD to pick up a new exhaust gasket. Geoff, one of the parts guys there, had gotten some updated mounting clamp kits from Reinhart for the rear pipes. I went home and installed it but in the process discovered that the original mounting hardware, bolted to the back of the starter, had rubbed a hole almost through the pipe, at the site of the welded-on mounting tab.

I went ahead and reassembled the exhaust system but called Rinehart to explain the problem to them. They provided me with a replacement pipe since the area where the chrome on the original pipe had been rubbed off would have rusted through in a short period of time.

It took almost three weeks for me to get the replacement pipe and then I went to Reinhart's web site to download instructions for installation. Neither the original instructions which I received from the dealership in the box with the original stock pipes nor the instructions that had come in the packet with the replacement mounting hardware had contained a suggestion to use ultra copper silicone RTV between the muffler and the pipe. The new instructions DID say to do this. Very important! Also, what none of the instructions said but what I found out after putting the exhaust system back together twice was that the placement of the clamps securing the mufflers to the pipes is critical.

You must place the clamp close to the end of the flange on the muffler so that the part of flange which is not have the relief cut in it does not prevent the clamp from completely sealing the muffler during tightening. I wish I had taken a picture to show this. Also, I got some new socket-head bolts to replace the original ones in the clamps whose heads were so soft they were deforming during tightening. I also found it quite helpful to put a little bit of anti-seize compound on them so they could be tightened fully without binding.

Once all this was done I had no further exhaust leaks, no nasty noises when riding, no deceleration popping or backfiring and, lo and behold, the engine ran much better and. while I will not know until I refill the tank today, I think I got far better gas mileage.

Bottom line: the performance of motorcycles with True Duals is VERY sensitive to air leaks in the system. Two days ago I would have told you Reinhard's were junk, but yesterday, after putting about 150 miles on the scoot and thoroughly enjoying the ride, I have changed my mind. the exhaust system FINALLY sounded great and the engine ran much stronger than previously.

:thumbsup:​

PS:
My hands are feeling much better with the advent of warmer weather. They actually didn't hurt after riding that distance yesterday!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Bub has changed the muffler and baffle design on their new Rinehart True Duals system. The new muffler / baffle design alleges to increases the low end of the pipe that everyone cries about loosing. The head pipe and mounting is the same design as their last update. If you have the O2 bung on the front pipe and the starter mount uses a button head screw you already have the latest design. The newest rear pipe attaches via a muffler type clamp and is no longer welded to the rear pipe.

Several months ago Bub stopped producing the old design system and completely depleted their stock which caused their dealers to sell all the old design before any mention of the new and improved design. They made sure that no one had old stock to sell or try to return for the new style. In their infinite wisdom to completely deplete any inventory that have successfully forced dealers to raise their price from the heavily discounted retail price on this new system. They caused the backorder situation knowing that the True Dual system is a highly sought after product. The demand is high for the Rinehart True Dual system, but now you will have to pay more money for it. The backorder successfully caused dealers to raise the consumer price closer to the suggested retail price of the system. Even thought this may seem like I’m trashing there business practice you can NOT take away their fantastic support for the consumer. The will bend over backwards to help you if there product is at fault. I had the old (purchased 10/05) mounting bracket for the rear pipe and lost the bolt that secured the pipe to the starter mount. When I called them to obtain a new bolt and nut they told me about the new mounting system and sent it to me FREE of any charge. Unfortunately I have grown tired of the sound and just ordered a D&D FatCat which I have had on several other scooters.

·
Registered
14 Posts
?

Wizwill said:
I purchased my Electra Glide Classic last November and had Reinhart True Duals installed before I picked it up. For the first two or three days after I took it home, everything was fine, then I started getting decel-popping.

I checked everything on the exhaust and found that the rear head pipe was leaking at the cylinder and tightened it. Everything was fine for about an hour of the next ride and then it started again. It became a continual cycle of having to tighten the pipe to the cylinder and I began carrying the wrenches to do it with me when I rode. Finally, I took the pipe off and went to Gatto's HD to pick up a new exhaust gasket. Geoff, one of the parts guys there, had gotten some updated mounting clamp kits from Reinhart for the rear pipes. I went home and installed it but in the process discovered that the original mounting hardware, bolted to the back of the starter, had rubbed a hole almost through the pipe, at the site of the welded-on mounting tab.

I went ahead and reassembled the exhaust system but called Rinehart to explain the problem to them. They provided me with a replacement pipe since the area where the chrome on the original pipe had been rubbed off would have rusted through in a short period of time.

It took almost three weeks for me to get the replacement pipe and then I went to Reinhart's web site to download instructions for installation. Neither the original instructions which I received from the dealership in the box with the original stock pipes nor the instructions that had come in the packet with the replacement mounting hardware had contained a suggestion to use ultra copper silicone RTV between the muffler and the pipe. The new instructions DID say to do this. Very important! Also, what none of the instructions said but what I found out after putting the exhaust system back together twice was that the placement of the clamps securing the mufflers to the pipes is critical.

You must place the clamp close to the end of the flange on the muffler so that the part of flange which is not have the relief cut in it does not prevent the clamp from completely sealing the muffler during tightening. I wish I had taken a picture to show this. Also, I got some new socket-head bolts to replace the original ones in the clamps whose heads were so soft they were deforming during tightening. I also found it quite helpful to put a little bit of anti-seize compound on them so they could be tightened fully without binding.

Once all this was done I had no further exhaust leaks, no nasty noises when riding, no deceleration popping or backfiring and, lo and behold, the engine ran much better and. while I will not know until I refill the tank today, I think I got far better gas mileage.

Bottom line: the performance of motorcycles with True Duals is VERY sensitive to air leaks in the system. Two days ago I would have told you Reinhard's were junk, but yesterday, after putting about 150 miles on the scoot and thoroughly enjoying the ride, I have changed my mind. the exhaust system FINALLY sounded great and the engine ran much stronger than previously.

:thumbsup:​

PS:
My hands are feeling much better with the advent of warmer weather. They actually didn't hurt after riding that distance yesterday!
Can you explain again about the muffler clamp location, I am having problems with lean conditions on the rear with a glowing pipe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts