V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how the Motor Company came up with the name Dyna? Is there any tale to it, or was it just someone in marketing dept who named the series?
I am just curious.......................Piniongear

·
Registered
62 Posts
The name is very old. Prehistoric in fact. I believe the first dyna rider was Fred Flintstone....or was that a dino.:huh:

·
01 FXDXT / 75 FLH
349 Posts
piniongear said:
Can anyone tell me how the Motor Company came up with the name Dyna? Is there any tale to it, or was it just someone in marketing dept who named the series?
I am just curious.......................Piniongear

They were just called superglides back a ways....or FXE or FX (electric & kick start).

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't know Greek from, well, Latin I guess, but

Hydra-Glide change from springer front to oil dampening.
Duo-Glide change from hard tail to suspension on both ends.
Electra-Glide beginning of electric start.
DynaGlide? Don't know. Ask Willie G. It's his baby anyway isn't it?

·
Registered
675 Posts
sjpr13 said:
They were just called superglides back a ways....or FXE or FX (electric & kick start).
Then came the FXR - rubber mount and electric start. Oil bag still above tranny if I am not mistaken. I believe the Dyna series started when the EVO motor got dropped in and the oil tank moved downstairs. Haven't the foggiest about why Dyna though?!?

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Maybe it is a cousin of NINJA?

So back in the day when Nissan was first contemplating the marketing of their cars to America they wanted a name that sounded less Japanese to appeal to the American consumer. German cars seemed to be doing well there, so they figured who better to help them come up with a name than some of the fine engineers and marketers from Porsche and BMW?

So a Nissan exective calls them one day to explain their delima. The Nissan rep explains they need a catchy name and they need it within 24 hours. An engineer with a thick German accent seemed shocked and asked "Dat Soon?"

The Nissan exective was amazed, "THATS PERFECT, THANK YOU!!" and hangs up.

http://zhome.com/History/10thAE/10thAETVAD.MPG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Back in the 70's many folks were taking the fl dresser then taking off the big front end and wheel. This was the 16 inch front wheel set-up. They would then put a sporty front end on with a narrow 19 or 21 inch front wheel.

Hd noticed this, no money to do it. So AMF came in and did it and called it the dyna glide. They were also called the super glide. This opened up the market more as before they only had the sporty or dresser for main road bikes.

·
Banned
871 Posts
grnwng said:
Back in the 70's many folks were taking the fl dresser then taking off the big front end and wheel. This was the 16 inch front wheel set-up. They would then put a sporty front end on with a narrow 19 or 21 inch front wheel.

Hd noticed this, no money to do it. So AMF came in and did it and called it the dyna glide. They were also called the super glide. This opened up the market more as before they only had the sporty or dresser for main road bikes.

The Dyna line started with the new and improved Sturgis model in 1991. AMF owned the company from 1969-1981. In the early 1980s, there was an FXDG model, but the DG did not stand for Dyna Glide, it stood for Disk Glide. The first big twins with the Sportster front end weren't using the name Dyna, they were just designated as the FX models (cross between the FL and the XL) and called names like the Superglide and Low Rider. No Dyna in there at all. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I was hopeing this line would get back on track.

I will admit I was taking a shot in the dark.

·
Banned
871 Posts
grnwng said:
Thanks for the clarification. I was hopeing this line would get back on track.

I will admit I was taking a shot in the dark.
Close enough for government work.... :clap:

·
Banned
871 Posts
Trapper1 said:
Thats good history alright but we still dont know what DYNA stands for do we?
Nope... probably just some 25 cent word that the advertising dept. came up with. Look at all the names of the new cars and trucks the past several years.... most of them aren't even real words. :D

·
Ride It, whatever it is!
244 Posts
I too have had this same question. And now I have spent the last hour scouring the net for something that would explain the name. I can say that I have come up empty.

It obviously has to stand for something within the walls of H-D. Perhaps it's short for Dynamic because it was such a change from the rigid engine mount frames before it and it dynamically absorbs engine vibration.

I give up.

·
Banned
871 Posts
yjlama said:
I too have had this same question. And now I have spent the last hour scouring the net for something that would explain the name. I can say that I have come up empty.

It obviously has to stand for something within the walls of H-D. Perhaps it's short for Dynamic because it was such a change from the rigid engine mount frames before it and it dynamically absorbs engine vibration.

I give up.
I think "dynamic" is correct, but it's because of the change from the earlier rubber mounts to the new style incorporating the tranny and swingarm into the equation. The rigid frames went away a LONG time before the Dyna name was used for the first time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts