V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a 1200 custom for 7000 and was wondering if this was a good price or not. I am in search of my first Harley and thought this would be a nice one.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Umm, you may wanna give a little more info than that. Mileage? Condition? Extra's?.........

Best thing to do is check your local papers to see what similar bikes are selling for. You can even check ebay to see what similar bikes are selling for, but keep in mind some people on ebay are stupid.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Personal experience:
I bought my '00 883 Custom for $6000 and it had 2000 miles on it. I have converted it to a 1200 (S1 Lightning conversion) not to mention ALL the extras I have purchased (Samsun pipes (soon to be Bassani), SE air box, jetting, ape hangers, seat, chrome everywhere etc...) and all totalled I have spent probably just over $7000. Keep your eyes out for a low mileage bike (883s are easier to find) and then plan to convert it with a Buell conversion or whatever you choose. IMO that makes for a much better performing bike and it will be more valuable. eBay is a VERY awesome place to find accessories and parts for an XL. Let us know what you decide. Good luck in your pursuit!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
ksims1868 said:
Personal experience:
I bought my '00 883 Custom for $6000 and it had 2000 miles on it. I have converted it to a 1200 (S1 Lightning conversion) IMO that makes for a much better performing bike and it will be more valuable.

I dissagree about the "valuable" part. Its could be worth more than a stock 883 but not a stock 1200. Gonig into motors genaraly make a bike less valuable.

For my money 7000 is not that bad for a msrp 10,000 bike, even a 5 year old going on six, inless its in poor shape.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Used Sportsters

Yes...I was referring to the value of the bike when I purchased it as an 883, but I have seen 883/1200 conversions go for more than a stock 1200 (not 1200S)...especially when using high performance upgrade parts like Buell heads and such.

Blue Book Values on a '97 1200 Custom:
RETAIL - $6995 (this is the price to expect from a dealer prepped used bike)
TRADE-IN - $4835 (we all know what "trade-in" means)

I think that $7000 is a fair price depending on condition and mileage, but I would think twice before buying a 6 year old motorcycle for $7000 when I could drive off with a bike 2 years old OR LESS for the same money. Even if you have to get an 883 and add the 1200 top end later...I feel that would still be a better choice. I like to buy LOW mileage items so I know that every thing done to that bike was MY DOING and MY MILEAGE.
If that '97 1200 has less than 5 or 6,000 miles, and all the receipts for maintenance and such...I would say $7000 sounds pretty good. Otherwise...I would pass on it. That is just one Sportster owner's opinion.
Go to www.sportster.org and post this question in their discussion email list. You will surely get a lot of response from Sportster owners there. It is a GREAT resource.
Good luck in whatever you choose.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Yea man. Its all about the condition. Ive seen 7 ,8,9, and 10 year old bikes look much much better than some folks 2 year old bikes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
$7000 for a used bike sounds like a lot especially for a Sportster. In Winter good deals are everywhere. With so many job layoffs pending I would wait. My friend picked up a Fatboy with low miles off of a laidoff factory worker for $6500!!! He had to travel to another state but for saving like that I wouldn't mind traveling across several states to retrieve a good ride.
Don't feel bad about buying the bike. You are doing them a favor. Its either sell it to you or give it back to the dealer for what he owes.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
For Example---I know someone that just sold her '95 1200 (less than 10,000 miles) for $4000. That is pretty damn cheap for a good running Sportster. She bought a Fat Boy and needed the cash...QUICK. Those deals are not that hard to find. Just keep your eyes open.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Maybe not hard to find where you live, but every body cant spend countless days looking for good deals. Days or weeks of planing a shippment or a few days off work to go 2 states over to pick one up. Time is money, and if you want a good deal chances are its always someone elese that gets them. Then again someone has to get them. I know a youger guy looking , been looking for any good deal on any good running Harley, its been over a year and hes still looking. How bad do you want to ride?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
am going tomorrow am to check ou the sporty, thanks for the info i'll keep you guys posted on what i decide but i still need to convince the better half that this is a good thing for me

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Why not check out that '02 XL 883 Custom (GREAT BIKE) in the classified section on THIS message board? That guy lives in IL (just a couple hundred miles from CT) and he only wants $6000! THAT is a good deal. It only has 1500 miles on it. The thing is barely broke in. For MY money...when comparing a '97 1200 for $7000 and a '02 883 Custom for $6000...the '02 would win out in a heartbeat. Hell...take that extra $1000 and buy some Buell Thunderstorm heads and new Pistons and rings, bore the cylinders and you've got a faster, and more reliable bike than that 6 year old 1200 to begin with!
I will get off this subect now...I think I have more than let my opinion be known on the issue, but I hate to see someone spend more money on a much higher mileage and older Sportster when one is readily available right now from another list memeber especially!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Buell had a very bad rap about "reliable" bikes. Any time you raise factory CR a point or more , relialbilty will fall not inprove. One things for sure I think 6000 for that 883 custon is a great deal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
unfortunately i don't have the time to go to il to get a bike, i am in the navy and my better half is pregnant so that is out of the question i will not make any quick decisions i posted here to get some info and your opinions so i can make a good educated decision thanks i'll keep you informed

·
Registered
93 Posts
I hate threads like this. I thought I did enough research before I bought my first Harley, a 99 1200 custom. It is a beautiful bike but it had 18000 miles on it. I paid 8900 for it. I seem to always pay to much for stuff like this. The market around here seems to be a little high on used bikes. You can find used 883s cheaper but the used 1200s seem to be high.

Oh well, you live and learn

Wish I could have found that fatboy for 6500!!!

patsue

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
checked out the bike this morning it's basically a stock 1200 with only some slip ons and it only has 1000 miles on it no me and the BH are discussing the finer points of owning a harley :) i'll keep you posted

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Well...1000 miles on a bike...and only wanting around $7000 = GREAT deal in my mind. That bike is easily worth that IMO. I would bring with me $6800 in CASH and offer him/her $6300 first. If they bite...take the bike and be happy. Likely they will continue to negotiate with you and you can hopefully settle on a price around $66-6800.
For my money...less miles is better than age. I don't think I expressed that before. $7000 for a '97 1200 is a better deal than I got on my 883C with 2000 miles. If you have the finances...go for it!

·
Registered
99 Posts
My deal?

Just bought a 1996 XLH1200. Details first. Front and Rear lowered, solo seat with leather thing going over the fender (no idea what its called), Chrome belt guards, Chrome sprocket (not a cover), Chrome forks, forward controls, leather saddle bags, windshild (not really a fan but its there), Crash bar with lights, Chrome covered gauges, chrome thingy over the light, Chromed calipers, SE pipes and re jet kit, Laced wheels, and im sure ive forgotten something. All this was done by a dealer when the bike was bought new. Also got a cover, service manual, and assorted original parts. I paid 8500.00. What sold it for me was the condition........its perfect.....shines as good as the day it was bought. AND IT OUGHT TOO......its only got 592 miles on it!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
7K for a used 1200 Custom with 1000 miles on it doesn't seem to be a bad deal. When I look at a used bike I look at the overall condition, if it's a current model (major changes between it and a new one), and mileage more than the year. The model is fairly current with the newer models. The 1200 Custom has a lot more chrome on it than the 883. I think the front transmission pulley might be a bit bigger for less rpms when cruising too. The 1200 has a big usable torque range. The 97 model won't have the dual caliper brakes, sealed wheel bearings or the drag bars like the newer models have. The drag bars are an easy fix but if you have a tendancy to ride out of your "zip code" on occasion, I recommend staying with the stock handlebars. The '97 I bought used and kept for 3 years was a lot of fun, taught me about Evo engines and I still wished I could have kept it when I got my other Harley.
I had 14,000 miles on mine, about 3K in accesories and got 8K for it last Spring. He was happy, I was happy.
The prices on bikes are dropping, keep that in mind. Then on the other hand........I wouldn't wait until Spring to look for a tremendous deal either. A 1200 Sportster Custom is a good bike. I'd recommend one to anyone looking for a Sportster.

Jim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts