V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was replacing the rear brake line to install foot controls extensions last night (Arlen Ness - very good kit).
This was a good occasion to have a look at the rear caliper, rotor and pads.
What pads?
I cannot believe that I am already down to the metal on the rear pads after only 1800 miles!

What gives?
Is my foot that heavy?

Gee. Off to buy new ones!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Wow that sucks, there must be something wrong. I have 10k on my brakes and they look fine but I use the front brake a lot, something like 80% of your stopping prower comes from the front brake. ride safe rickpoco

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Would be nice to know what year and model bike you got?? Pads on the 4 piston calipers that went into use in 2000 wear quicker than previous type. They also start out with a lot less thickness than the older stuff. Do you have a service manual to get the spec's for pad thickness at replacement time?? Don't remember exactly what it it but it's pretty thin.

HD also had some bad pads on new bikes in year 2000. Dealers were replacing free of charge.

·
Registered
458 Posts
On a 1999 minimum was 1.6 mm in 2000 its 1.2 mm or .04 in. now thats thin.
First time I saw mine I thought they were shot too. On the 97 I changed them when they were thicker than what the new ones are now.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It'a 2002 FXST.
It has to be said that I mainly ride in town and like to brake with the rear first and then with the front when the bike is stable and the weight is well on the front fork.
But still 1800 miles is very little.
Any particular aftermarket brand that I should be checkin' out?

Thanks

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
94c4- No way that's normal, I don't care how you drive. Take it back to the dealer. 2002- must still be under warranty?

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Brake Pad Problems

Some TC-88's have had brake pad problems. Our techie guys know about that stuff. I certainly don't. Just know that I heard H/D will replace your pads on newer (don't know about the '03's) TC-88's the first year for FREE if you have less than 8K on the bike. Something is definitely NOT right.

·
Registered
123 Posts
When my 02FLHT was new, the RF brake was noisy and sounded like metal on metal. Disk wear was a little strange as the disk looked like a 20K mile disk after just 2k miles. The dealer replaced the disk and rotor and responded "nothing wrong, just didn't look right so we replaced everything". Yea, sure! This dealer is known for good mechanics and good work. There must be some brake issue that they did not wish to identify.

·
Jack ***
470 Posts
Hi,
I replaced the rear pads on my 02 FXSTS with about 8,000 miles. Fronts still look like new at 12,600 and I use the front all the time. I thought 8,000 was way too soon, The new rears seem to be holding up much better. The new caliper design makes the pads real easy to change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts