V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
There was no lottery for the draft, I had 3 choices when I turned 18;
School, draft for 2 years or enlist for 4.
2 choices the draft makes for me, Army or Marines.
I had already lost a couple friends drafted into the Marines, and knowing my luck, I tried college, but that was a big mistake, so I joined the Navy in 1966. It was a forgone conclusion that I would join the Navy anyway, my Dad and uncles all were sailors and all were pushing me that way. I still regret not re-enlisting.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Reported for physical in 66. Turned away because of bad back. Pissed because I had prepared myself to dieing soon. So I spent the next 2 years working for the Army and Air Force Exchange Service out of Richards Gebaur SAC Air Base in Kansas City instead. Actually Belton to be exact. That was the best I could do to support the troops. Had to get special permission from the base commander to sell beer and cigarettes. Had to be 21 back then don't cha know.

·
Registered
903 Posts
1970 - 1976 USN

1977 - 1996 USCG

Retired Chief

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,390 Posts
Joined active Navy in '72. Wanted to be a Seabee, like my dad, but they were full up. Became an AD-R (reciprocating aircraft engine mechanic, AD-J meant jet mechanic) for 4 years. Still the best job I ever had, I love those old radials. Like Ahar, wish I'd re-upped.

I missed the camaraderie, and the quality of the people, so I went in the Air Nat'l Guard in '91. Retired in '07. They wanted me to be a bomb loader. I said "What else do you have?" Went into communications construction; built towers, set poles, laid cable, etc. It was a fun job too.

Military training and military people are the best.

joe

·
Registered
54 Posts
Enlisted U.S. Army, 1970. figured if i was going to Vietnam, I'd take advantage to go to school before hand. Still get a little nostalgic when I see a 1st Cav insignia.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts